Latest news:

SOB out of the RWC
Discussion started by Margin_Walker , 26 May, 2019 15:04
SOB out of the RWC
Margin_Walker 26 May, 2019 15:04
Quote:
@Murray_Kinsella
Sean O'Brien has been ruled out of the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Will miss six months after undergoing hip surgery in the coming weeks.

Fingers crossed for his recovery

Re: SOB out of the RWC
Despriarno 26 May, 2019 15:42
Fingers crossed here as well

Donít want him to become the new C J van der Limp

Silver Fox! 26 May, 2019 16:45
I said before that he was an injury risk and in this case I hate to be right. Letís hope we donít spunk too much money his was without some sort of decent return.

Hereís to a speedy recovery matey.

waltham 26 May, 2019 19:55
It might even work well for us. T'would be sad for SOB to miss out on the RWC though.

bigbitty 26 May, 2019 20:55
Quote:
Silver Fox!
I said before that he was an injury risk and in this case I hate to be right. Letís hope we donít spunk too much money his was without some sort of decent return.

Letís hope we donít spunk too much money. Bloody spellchecker. eh?

Florida 26 May, 2019 22:16
Quote:
Silver Fox!

If only clubs had some sort of insurance against player injuries so they don't lose money.... If only :/

paddym 26 May, 2019 22:29
Talk from Dublin today is that heís finished playing.

Florida 26 May, 2019 22:33
Quote:
paddym
Talk from Dublin today is that heís finished playing.

Witch doctors were they?

paddym 26 May, 2019 22:45
Family who are involved with Leinster. Having hip replacement apparently,

GHA 27 May, 2019 02:22
Haha, are the whole family involved paddy or is it just one member?

So why did Leinster's statement say 'surgery in the next few weeks for a hip injury and as a result will be ruled out of action for up to six months' rather than 'surgery in the next few weeks for a hip injury and as a result will be announcing his retirement'

We'll see

PV 27 May, 2019 09:43
If it is a hip replacement then thatís career over for a player in 30ís. Thatís as bigger as shoulder reconstruction and few doctors would recommend continuing in professional contact sport after that. I did say IF

jimbo800 27 May, 2019 10:31
If he has to retire, that leaves us down a player for the season. So much talk out of Ireland was that he was Ďfinishedí whatever that means. Over the past three seasons he hasnít played much rugby at all. I just hope he doesnít do himself so much damage that heís crippled by the time heís sixty.

Exile_Dave 27 May, 2019 15:33
[www.rugbypass.com]

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida 27 May, 2019 16:59
Quote:
Exile_Dave
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/question-marks-raised-over-sean-obrien-future-at-london-irish

I really don't get the purpose of rugbypass. They've written an article based on the Twitter response to the announcement of his injury. Absolutely pointelss.

Margin_Walker 27 May, 2019 17:08
Yep, that really is a pointless article. Content for contents sake with just a string of random Twitter comments.

His career may be over, or it may not, but that really doesn't bring anything to the party. Let's wait and see.

GHA 27 May, 2019 18:13
Maybe we ban rugbypass links from this message board?

Florida 27 May, 2019 18:16
Quote:
GHA
Maybe we ban rugbypass links from this message board?

Think I'll just start ignoring them, probably the easiest way for my own sanity.

tatthecraic2 28 May, 2019 07:11
I feel this is a bad omen. It seems to happen to us. Sign a big name. Then he never plays a match for us... why do i feel SOB will never lace his boots up for us?

GHA 28 May, 2019 08:33
Quote:
tatthecraic2
I feel this is a bad omen. It seems to happen to us. Sign a big name. Then he never plays a match for us... why do i feel SOB will never lace his boots up for us?

Seven times bitten, eight times shy?

AlecW 28 May, 2019 11:25
Sadly, there seems to have been a large number of LI recruits who did not play much / did not play at all / had their careers ended because of injury / lack of fitness... One thinks of

Saulo
Nalaga
van der Linde
Ansbro
Sa
Palframan
Fish
Hape?
Magne?
Corbisiero (a bit controversial, but he didn't play much for us in his last couple of seasons)
and others...

I wonder - are we particularly unlucky in this regard, or have other clubs suffered in a similar fashion over the years...? I presume the latter...

Lazyboy346 28 May, 2019 11:33
Most of those are fair examples but I'd say Ansbro was very unfortunate to suffer a career ending accident. The rest seem to be foreseeable circumstances due to poor fitness or existing injuries that were exacerbated by continued play.

It would be a shame if that is SOB's playing career over, but I think he could still contribute to the club just by being around and aiding the development of the younger players. Any games he plays from this point onwards might just be a bonus tbh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2019 11:35 by Lazyboy346.

Shawshank 28 May, 2019 11:52
+Peter Poulos

I'm not sure through that we have had more bad luck than any other club.

eg. Geoff Appleford left us and couldn't play a single game for Saints due to getting crocked?

GHA 28 May, 2019 12:14
Dom Waldouck

How many games did Franze play?

Didn't we sign Ben Robinson's brother once?

SirBurger 28 May, 2019 12:15
The SOB signing was always going to be about what he can bring off the pitch, with any contributions on the field of play a bonus. This recent news just confirms that and the belief that in spite of the good signings made elsewhere, if we are to really be competitive we still need at least two top players to come into the back five of the pack.

AlecW 28 May, 2019 12:18
Lazyboy - it was horrendous and as you say, most unfortunate, but from the LI pov, an excellent Scottish international centre didn't play for us again!

I'd forgotten Poulos...

Dredging memory here, but Nils Mordt? Junior Tonu'u? Zak Feau'nati? And of course Conor O'Shea's career was ended at Kingsholm in November 2000 at the age of 30.

PV 28 May, 2019 12:21
David Pocock looks like he might be available.

GHA 28 May, 2019 12:27
Quote:
SirBurger
The SOB signing was always going to be about what he can bring off the pitch, with any contributions on the field of play a bonus.

I wonder if his salary reflects this

I'm hoping it's the opposite anyway - what he can bring on the pitch, with any contributions off the pitch a bonus. I wonder if he has any coaching badges

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2019 12:58 by GHA.

Bazzo 28 May, 2019 12:39
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
SirBurger
The SOB signing was always going to be about what he can bring off the pitch, with any contributions on the field of play a bonus.

I'm hoping it's the opposite anyway - what he can bring off the pitch, with any contributions of the pitch a bonus. I wonder if he has any coaching badges

The opposite way to what Sir Burger said would be him making an impact "on the pitch"

GHA 28 May, 2019 12:58
Cheers Bazzo, need to get a new typing wand. Post edited

tatthecraic2 28 May, 2019 14:36
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
SirBurger

I'm hoping it's the opposite anyway - what he can bring on the pitch, with any contributions off the pitch a bonus. I wonder if he has any coaching badges

I think i remember hearing his salary is somewhere in the region of 300K

but whether thats a season or over his contract, I don't know.

SirBurger 28 May, 2019 15:12
350k a season was what I read.

Exile_Dave 28 May, 2019 22:16
Interview with SOB.

[www.skysports.com]

Margin_Walker 28 May, 2019 22:26
Sounds like he's close to being done. Has had no luck on the injury front.

Will be interesting to see when the call is made on it either way.

Exile_Dave 29 May, 2019 07:55
Now saying February at the earliest we will see him play, if all goes well.

[www.irishmirror.ie]

jimbo800 29 May, 2019 08:31
With itís being a historical injury, and it being 50/50 if he plays again, why did we sign him? Surely medics checks would have been done.

Bazzo 29 May, 2019 08:34
Granted that some are worse than others, but...... is there such a thing as a good rugby player who has not had a serious injury?

Florida 29 May, 2019 08:55
Quote:
jimbo800
With itís being a historical injury, and it being 50/50 if he plays again, why did we sign him? Surely medics checks would have been done.

The club is insured for this sort of thing, they can bring in injury cover so it'll be OK. On the flip side, they could end up with a repaired SOB, which would be quite something

AlecW 29 May, 2019 09:11
If it is the same op as Andy Murray had (as SOB says), then at the age (by the end of February) of 33 and with so many miles on his clock, I wouldn't be holding my breath, I'm afraid.

jimbo800 29 May, 2019 09:32
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
jimbo800

The club is insured for this sort of thing, they can bring in injury cover so it'll be OK. On the flip side, they could end up with a repaired SOB, which would be quite something

Iíd be more concerned with the fact that by the time we know if he canít play again, there wonít be that calibre of player available, theyíd have all made their moves post World Cup

Clontarf 29 May, 2019 10:12
For me it's a mark of the man.

He has tried to play through the injury/pain, he's knows he's not at the level he wants to be and can't play like he did, he's not going to Japan, he's undergoing surgery.

One of two things will happen
1. We get a reconditioned SOB who's still hungry for a new challenge and makes a vital contribution to London Irish on and off the field. We need someone of his stature to pull in the 1000s of rugby starved Irishmen and women hanging around street corners of Ealing playing desultory games of pitch and toss on Saturday afternoons.
2. He calls time on his career and we have £350k per annum to spend on someone else.

Given the success of the recruitment campaign to date I, for once, have confidence in the management team and think contingency planning is happening.

SirBurger 29 May, 2019 11:24
Trouble is, most of the best available talent will soon be snapped up. Iím not sure we can or should be waiting for SOB.

Bazzo 29 May, 2019 11:43
Quote:
Clontarf
For me it's a mark of the man.
He has tried to play through the injury/pain, he's knows he's not at the level he wants to be and can't play like he did, he's not going to Japan, he's undergoing surgery.

One of two things will happen
1. We get a reconditioned SOB who's still hungry for a new challenge and makes a vital contribution to London Irish on and off the field. We need someone of his stature to pull in the 1000s of rugby starved Irishmen and women hanging around street corners of Ealing playing desultory games of pitch and toss on Saturday afternoons.
2. He calls time on his career and we have £350k per annum to spend on someone else.

Given the success of the recruitment campaign to date I, for once, have confidence in the management team and think contingency planning is happening.

OR

3. It Costs you £350k to have him on the rehab table for a year and you never get a game out of him?

GHA 29 May, 2019 11:59
The body isn't even cold

More people are writing him off than ever wrote off some of the other guys who turned up injured, and this is Sean O'Brien we're talking about. Maybe we should all just wait and see what happens and if he never plays a game for us, as someone has mentioned already, the club will hopefully have insurance to cover that, both financially and player-wise.

jimbo800 29 May, 2019 12:56
Quote:
GHA
The body isn't even cold
More people are writing him off than ever wrote off some of the other guys who turned up injured, and this is Sean O'Brien we're talking about. Maybe we should all just wait and see what happens and if he never plays a game for us, as someone has mentioned already, the club will hopefully have insurance to cover that, both financially and player-wise.

We have to talk about something in the off season, may as well be this until something else comes along

GHA 29 May, 2019 13:12
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
GHA
The body isn't even cold

We have to talk about something in the off season, may as well be this until something else comes along

What about the mythical 10th signing?

Florida 29 May, 2019 13:25
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
GHA
The body isn't even cold

What about the mythical 10th signing?

Perhaps the mythical 10th signing is SOB's injury replacement?

Lincs-Exile 29 May, 2019 13:44
So are we now signing injury replacement cover BEFORE the season starts !!

Steelman 29 May, 2019 18:43
...if we could re sign Arno I wouldn't be 2 Botha d about SOB injuries.

Lincs-Exile 29 May, 2019 18:51
Steelman you missed your calling you should have been writing for Eric & Ernie !!

Florida 29 May, 2019 19:07
Quote:
Lincs-Exile

Sure why not? We made a signing, they got injured before the season started. It happens sometimes, Beale at Wasps for example.

Finno 30 May, 2019 01:56
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Lincs-Exile

Sure why not? We made a signing, they got injured before the season started. It happens sometimes, Beale at Wasps for example.
And he was well worth waiting for!!!

Florida 30 May, 2019 07:58
Quote:
Finno
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Lincs-Exile

And he was well worth waiting for!!!

Indeed he was, he was excellent for them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net