Latest news:

Game Day!
Discussion started by Florida , 13 September, 2019 11:35
Game Day!
Florida 13 September, 2019 11:35
Today it begins, the players have been training for 12 weeks and finally we'll get to see what that translates to on the pitch. I honestly don't know what to expect. Reflecting over the last three seasons we've seen a rock solid defense in our first jaunt in the Championship, although it showed worrying signs in the finals, two seasons ago we had that opening fixture against Quins (and the fall back to Earth against Exeter) followed by some flakey defense and lack of attacking flair and last season a very solid, but unremarkable campaign.

I'm hoping that today will give some indication of how we will play and perform throughout the Premiership campaign. I'm hopeful our defense has tightened up, we've brought in Brad Davis and he's pretty well respected in this area. Fowlie has stated in his recent interview that Brad has been asking them to do things differently defensively, so it'll be very interesting to see what shape this takes on the pitch. Given the number of defense coaches we now how we shouldn't be conceeding any points. Attacking wise I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing much of an improvement there, from what I can tell we've not brought anyone else in to help with that. While I would love to see us back to our pomp of free flowing, running, off-loading, carving teams to pieces rugby, you only have to look to Wales to see what a seriously good defense can do for you so I'd be OK if that's where we're starting.

I think my current outlook is cautiously optimistic.

Re: Game Day!
Smudge21 13 September, 2019 11:54
Irish by 5 tonight...!

Florida 13 September, 2019 12:01
I'm going 17 - 11 to us

Exile_Dave 13 September, 2019 13:48
Has the Munster team been announced?

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Alphacat 13 September, 2019 14:02
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Yes,

Munster offy

Exile_Dave 13 September, 2019 15:18
Quote:
Alphacat
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Yes,

Munster offy

Thank you

wattshisname 13 September, 2019 18:15
Do they still play for the Jack Wakefield cup?

Florida 13 September, 2019 18:22
Quote:
wattshisname
Do they still play for the Jack Wakefield cup?

They certainly do

wattshisname 13 September, 2019 18:44
That's good! I remember everybody rooting for Jack back in the mid-2000s (?) and it seemed at the time that playing for a JW cup was such a good idea to remember him by.

Florida 13 September, 2019 20:23
We go into the break 7-0 down.
Chances for us to get on the score card seem to be few and far between. What chances do exist seem to be coming from kicking to the corner and trying to maul our way over (based on Munster's updates)

Florida 13 September, 2019 20:34
Off we go again. Munster make 13 changes, we make 14

Sadly Botha (Arno) is now on against us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2019 20:40 by Florida.

HMRH 13 September, 2019 20:57
Weíre getting a hiding

Florida 13 September, 2019 21:06
Yup... My cautiously optimistic outlook has evaporated. It's looking like it'll be another very long season.

HMRH 13 September, 2019 21:19
45-5

Exile_Dave 13 September, 2019 21:46
Anyone at the game care to advise on their thoughts? Was there any protests or was it all baloney?

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Cotman 13 September, 2019 22:00
Bristol bears fan here, I wouldn't let one game define the season ahead. I'm no expert but you are missing a lot of star players. All the best with the season except against the Bears.

SirBurger 14 September, 2019 00:34
Wasnít there and didnít watch it but was a bit surprised to see this morning that so many fans were putting so much weight on our performance today. Probably 9 or 10 players to come into our first choice line up.

Florida 14 September, 2019 01:11
Quote:
SirBurger
Wasnít there and didnít watch it but was a bit surprised to see this morning that so many fans were putting so much weight on our performance today. Probably 9 or 10 players to come into our first choice line up.

Why? Those 9 or 10 players won't be here until December / new year. I don't think it's unreasonable for the expectation to be the current team go out, make a good fist of it and come back without being spanked off the park.

It's not all doom and gloom of course, we now have the premiership cup to get premiership ready.

Lazyboy346 14 September, 2019 07:07
Looking.at the squad, the first half team always looked stronger with the likes of Porecki, Myler, Franco, Rona and Hepetema in it. If Munster went up the gears in the second half, it's not a surprise we didn't do well.

We were also missing DHA, Hoskins, Fainga'a, Botha, Tuisue, Meehan and Stephenson - all would have been in my 23 so that's nearly a third of the squad. Add the 8 at the World Cup plus O'Brien and this game was really about testing our depth.

Rich. 14 September, 2019 08:11
Need to factor in that it is not the case of 9/10 players well imbedded in the club arriving post-RWC - it will take time for them and the 'existing' players to get used to each other etc. Some will also arrive having played or trained for nearly 12 months with little break. so the existing players need to step up - but the first half team must have done ok last night and we know how strong the Munster squad is. The speed and intensity last night will have been new and I'm sure, having now experienced it, the players well do better next time.

The Pro 14 also starts early than the Prem them so the Munster players are also further along the pre-season process. So all in all this is not a big pointer to how the season will go imo. It will have been very useful though.

Florida 14 September, 2019 11:15
Conceding 6 tries in 40 minutes of rugby is deeply concerning, especially for the defense coach.

We now have the premiership cup to tighten everything up (sadly none of our fixtures our televised)

x_ile 14 September, 2019 11:45
Quote:
Florida
(sadly none of our fixtures our televised)

Is this, necessarily, a bad thing? (Sm100)

Ruckingood 14 September, 2019 13:23
Quote:
Florida
Conceding 6 tries in 40 minutes of rugby is deeply concerning, especially for the defense coach.
We now have the premiership cup to tighten everything up (sadly none of our fixtures our televised)
The second half team was primarily academy and the youngsters got bullied by men. It was bound to happen and most will not be in the mix for prem games. First half team was OK and as noted missing a number of guys who would be starting. Lets see if things look better after a few cup games when they tun a stronger more prem focused team.. nothing to get in a flap about... yet

SirBurger 14 September, 2019 14:28
Our track record in this match isnít good. Munster were missing their internationals but it was a stronger team than it may look on paper. I agree a win or close score line would have been nice but I wonít lose sleep over it at this stage.

jimbo800 14 September, 2019 14:54
Bare in mind some of the names who came on for Munster in the second half. Scannell, O Donnell, Botha, Archer, Haley and Hanrahan are all seasoned pros, some with international honours. It had been mentioned, our pack were very young in the second half so it wouldnít matter what the backs had if they got no ball. Great experience for them.

gaggin4aguinness or 2 15 September, 2019 13:23
Quote:
wattshisname
That's good! I remember everybody rooting for Jack back in the mid-2000s (?) and it seemed at the time that playing for a JW cup was such a good idea to remember him by.

I had the pleasure of having a couple of beers with Gordon ( Jacks dad ) last weekend. He still greatly appreciates the love and support forthcoming by posters on the Craic and the Legacy Jack left after he passed away..
Captain Jack would have been 16 this year, an uncle of five assorted nieces and nephews and an elder brother.
There is a re union of sorts on the Isle of Wight early October for players who took part in the Jack Wakefield Pirates v. Bristol memorial game but due to age, injury, incapacity and an outbreak of common sense the proposed rugby match was cancelled. Itís now just a social gathering if anyone fancies popping along.

Props are not stupid 16 September, 2019 13:49
I was at the game on Friday. To be honest, I was expecting a heavy defeat, but I was gladly surprised in the first half when we kept the 0-0 score for 21 minutes and we didn't give many penalties away. We had a knock on over the try line, so we could have gone to half time 7-7. Munster's second half team was twice the speed of the team that played the first half, and they pretty much scored in every opportunity they had, I think the final score flattered them.

I had a chat with Babs (Remember her from Quins?) who also made the trip to support Munster, she sends her regards to everyone at London Irish, especially Lynn and Brendan.

bigbitty 17 September, 2019 10:44
If your constitution is up to it, the highlights are here.

Bazzo 17 September, 2019 15:24
Whatever way you see it, this was not good for morale. They had some top players missing, they played lots of academy players. Not a good result or performance and while pre-season games are there to get rustiness out, you always want to be competitive. We are a Premiership team now.

LI Bohemian 17 September, 2019 15:49
Unlike Bazzo I can only see doom and gloom after that performance, it's not like we were playing away against a top quality side was it, Munster never heard of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net