Latest news:

Band of Brothers
Discussion started by HMRH , 15 September, 2019 19:07
Band of Brothers
HMRH 15 September, 2019 19:07
I can thoroughly recommend this book by David Beresford about the “golden age” of French rugby. It’s a great read so far and full of memories and anecdotes. Available via Amazon and gives me some great ideas for Nice, Toulon, Biarritz, Bayonne and Paris

Re: Band of Brothers
AlecW 16 September, 2019 09:59
English edition £50.00 on Amazon...! (Sm2)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2019 10:00 by AlecW.

HMRH 16 September, 2019 10:27
Worth every penny

AlecW 16 September, 2019 14:28
Think I'll wait & get a copy when cheaper!

AlecW 16 September, 2019 14:39
Erm, no - just been to and read through the website (Link here) - and it looks fantastic. Amazon, here I come!

Thanks for the steer, HMRH...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2019 15:25 by AlecW.

AlecW 20 September, 2019 12:59
Back to the top - just once.

I received the book yesterday. It is a mahoosive (A4 landscape and 1.5 inches thick) book that weighs a ton (printed on thick glossy paper). It covers French rugby by region (Basque country, the mountains etc), with beautiful photos of the region, discusses the landscape, terroir, the people, the local esprit etc, then interviews 4-5 great players from each region (e.g. Blanco, Lagisquet and others for Basque country) about the matches, the comradeship, the rivalries, villages, l'esprit de clocher etc, then asks a couple of contemporaries what it was like to play with / against the individual.

It is a beautiful book (the photography is stunning, including superb b/w shots of the gnarled old warriors as they are now and action shots from their careers..

I would say that despite the price, it is absolutely essential for anyone who is into French rugby...! (and anyway, profits go to four excellent charities).

Huge thanks to HMRH for pointing it out...!

HMRH 20 September, 2019 13:48
Welcome - if you have any of the recommended wines let
Me know 😉

I really think the authors love of All things rugby and French comes shining through - magnificent book

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net