Latest news:

View From The 22
Discussion started by Griff , 19 September, 2019 15:18
View From The 22
Griff 19 September, 2019 15:18
I was asked directly about moving over to View From The 22 on the match reporters thread. I was going to answer there but I've started a new thread because I genuinely want to find a match reporter for Gloucester and I suspect discussion of this there would prevent that.

FWIW, I've had a bit of a chat with Alex at VFT22 and, if that's what people want I'm happy to move there. For me they don't offer the same "home" that this place does yet - including match reports which are a big part of the charm of The Craic IMNVHO. S/He says that s/he's actively working on it which, s/he says, sets it apart from SN but there has definitely been work done here and I've seen no evidence of such over there.
My biggest dislike there is the mid-thread adverts but that's a little churlish since I run with an Ad Blocker here (I've long since given up trying to get across to SN that obtrusive adverts are a bad idea - I tried for over a decade). I just wouldn't want to start at a new place that I already had a problem with their ad-policy.
My bottom-line is that I don't see the massive gain in changing over and I do see the loss (of all the user-generated content we have built-up) but I'm happy to go with the group.

Re: View From The 22
Derby Irish Fan 19 September, 2019 15:42
have found that this home is a great place and i for one will stay here

Margin_Walker 19 September, 2019 17:26
Hi Griff

I'm pretty much exclusively posting on vft22 at the moment. I personally find the functionality much better, with the ability to embed YouTube clips / Twitter posts directly into the post. Also find it a much better viewing experience on mobile without the constant jumping about you get when the ads load here. The guy running it is very responsive to feedback too rather than the absentee landlord feel you get here (+ doesn't shut down the forum every two weeks).

That said I'm not really interested in lobbying too much for it. If people want to, they'll switch. If not, fair enough and if I end up talking to myself there, I'll head back.

Cheers

bigbitty 19 September, 2019 17:33
I have been reading and posting on here for thirteen years now, and mostly enjoyed the experience.

Back then we also had the Odd Shaped Ball, so the more anarchic voices had somewhere to post without upsetting the mainstream, and I liked the two board system. Unfortunately it all got a bit out of hand and inevitably the OSB ate itself.

This site is fine, and there are some good informed opinions, and I enjoy the match reports, but I do wish that sometimes it was a bit.....juicier....and more fun. From what I see VRF22 has yet to gain significant traffic, and whilst I visit it as often as I visit here, this just seem somehow better (the improvements have helped), and better supported.

I agree totally with Griff about advertising. I also use a blocker, but when on my mobile the ads are so intrusive.

Exile_Dave 19 September, 2019 17:39
Im personally not a fan of vft22 and will stick with this site.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Shawshank 19 September, 2019 19:17
As well as OSB quite a few of us posted on The Sunbury Centre

www.london-irish.co.uk

However, that now looks to be moribund.

Iím happy to stay here a while longer.

millhillexile 19 September, 2019 21:54
Happy here...

Alphacat 19 September, 2019 22:16
I have been using both sites for a while now. I think for this season at least we should stick here; VFT22 has more promise but the updates I would have hoped to be added to the site have not happened yet. It might be still worth investigating moving to a new forum if the desire still remains next pre-season, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2019 22:19 by Alphacat.

LI Bohemian 20 September, 2019 08:41
I have no problem with VFT22, seems okay, the crazy thing is I am a creature of habit and like the voices that speak on here, it is difficult to explain but it feels like changing your old struggling team for a newer more promising team, even though you've got used to struggling, you feel a bit scared because there is a possibility that, when the Craic is gone, it's gone forever.

Florida 20 September, 2019 11:02
I echo Griff's view.

I'm not a fan of either site, I don't feel VFT22 offers enough over SN to make me want to move. If they can sort out their UI and cookie policy then I'd be more inclined, but I don't see the point of moving from one poorly designed site to another.

PV 20 September, 2019 12:03
Will go with majority - happy here

23Shark 20 September, 2019 13:56
Quote:
Florida
I echo Griff's view.
I'm not a fan of either site, I don't feel VFT22 offers enough over SN to make me want to move. If they can sort out their UI and cookie policy then I'd be more inclined, but I don't see the point of moving from one poorly designed site to another.

What would you change about the user interface?

The cookie policy is to comply with GDPR which should be standard across all companies and websites although as far as I'm aware here doesn't comply which could leave themselves open to a huge fine. Personally I wasn't willing to run that risk hence the comprehensive policy.

Florida 20 September, 2019 15:06
Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
Florida
I echo Griff's view.

What would you change about the user interface?

The cookie policy is to comply with GDPR which should be standard across all companies and websites although as far as I'm aware here doesn't comply which could leave themselves open to a huge fine. Personally I wasn't willing to run that risk hence the comprehensive policy.

I would make the interface less pig ugly. There's heaps wrong with it, not showing details of the latest message for each thread without having to click additional buttons.

Cookies can be personal data. The GDPR explicitly states that online identifiers, even if they are pseudonymous, even if they do not directly identify an individual, will be personal data if there is potential for an individual to be identified or singled out. Any persistent cookie that is unique to the device by virtue of its attributes or stored values fits the criteria for personal data. That means most cookies, and certainly the most useful ones for site owners. This is the basis for cookie consent being about GDPR compliance now, as well as the existing cookie laws.

Implied consent is no longer going to be compliant. There are several reasons for this. Mainly itís because the GDPR requires the user to make an Ďaffirmative actioní to signal their consent. Simply visiting a site for the first time would not qualify. So loading up your landing pages with cookies in the hope people wonít opt-out, wonít wash.

Advice to adjust browser settings wonít be enough. The GDPR says it must be as easy to withdraw consent as give it. Telling people to block cookies if they donít consent would not meet this criterion. It both difficult, ineffective against non-cookie based tracking, and doesnít provide enough granularity of choice.

ĎBy using this site, you accept cookiesí statements will not be compliant. If there is no genuine and free choice, then there is no valid consent. Also people who donít consent also cannot suffer detriment, which means you have to provide some service to those who donít accept those terms. Which also meansÖ

Shawshank 20 September, 2019 22:20
I really donít think the ICO is going to be bothered one iota in seeking alleged compliance from obscure sports message boards.

Itís budget for enforcement is minuscule.

GDPR has been the next biggest con to small businesses, only second to the millennium bug nonsense.

Alphacat 21 September, 2019 00:34
Not worth running the risk though.

waltham 21 September, 2019 09:50
I'm still happily using this site, however I'm also trying out the new site which IMO hadn't yet developed any sort of community and at this early stage seems a bit flat.

mulledwinemarie 21 September, 2019 13:28
Ok what is VFT22?prayers is it? Is it where all the supporters i thought had passed over?

Where has all fun gone to pastures new?Everyone!

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

bigbitty 21 September, 2019 15:32
You can find it here, Marie VFT22

mulledwinemarie 21 September, 2019 21:49
Ok had
Had a look???!!

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net