Latest news:

Russia vs Samoa (Irish)
Discussion started by Jonny_C , 24 September, 2019 16:09
Russia vs Samoa (Irish)
Jonny_C 24 September, 2019 16:09
Moto Matua'u was lucky not to be shown a red card. High tackle.

Re: Russia vs Samoa (Irish)
RodB 24 September, 2019 16:31
Agreed... TJ has put a couple of clear-outs in which could be generously described as enthusiastic in my view as well. (As well as some legit ones)

RodB 24 September, 2019 16:51
Great work rate and involvement from TJ in 2nd half.

Florida 25 September, 2019 08:22
Quote:
Jonny_C
Moto Matua'u was lucky not to be shown a red card. High tackle.

He's now been cited for it

HMRH 25 September, 2019 10:27
Whatís the point of a ref and a TMO if you then subsequently get cited? I thought that if dealt with on field the citing didnít apply? Assume new rules have changed that - just for RWC or a wider application does anyone know?

CharlieG 25 September, 2019 10:45
Quote:
HMRH
Whatís the point of a ref and a TMO if you then subsequently get cited? I thought that if dealt with on field the citing didnít apply? Assume new rules have changed that - just for RWC or a wider application does anyone know?

My impression is that this has always been the case. In the Premiership it is rare, but not unkown, for a citing officer to contradict the ref and TMO - although this was more common before all matches had TMOs.

It does raise concern about the refereeing - but it does look as if refs are favouring the stronger teams.

x_ile 25 September, 2019 12:23
Quote:
CharlieG
Quote:
HMRH

My impression is that this has always been the case. In the Premiership it is rare, but not unkown, for a citing officer to contradict the ref and TMO - although this was more common before all matches had TMOs.

It does raise concern about the refereeing - but it does look as if refs are favouring the stronger teams.

' .... the (percieved?) stronger teams.'

Scheduling would seem to support (broadly) the theory in respect of Tier 1 teams.

Russia: 4 day turnaround between first two matches.
Italy: 4 day turnaround
Fiji: 4 day turnaround
England: 4 days This must be an aberration ( even if opposition is Tonga & USA) (Sm100)

On the other hand we have

New Zealand: 11 day turnaround. Bloody ridiculous.
Australia: 8 day turnaround
Scotland: 8 days
SA: 7 days

Several teams in the 6 day turnaround bracket though

Irelaand: 6 days
Wales: 6 days
Georgia: 6 days

Etc. etc. etc.

Lazyboy346 25 September, 2019 13:17
Quote:
x_ile
Quote:
CharlieG
Quote:
HMRH

' .... the (percieved?) stronger teams.'

Scheduling would seem to support (broadly) the theory in respect of Tier 1 teams.

Russia: 4 day turnaround between first two matches.
Italy: 4 day turnaround
Fiji: 4 day turnaround
England: 4 days This must be an aberration ( even if opposition is Tonga & USA) (Sm100)

On the other hand we have

New Zealand: 11 day turnaround. Bloody ridiculous.
Australia: 8 day turnaround
Scotland: 8 days
SA: 7 days

Several teams in the 6 day turnaround bracket though

Irelaand: 6 days
Wales: 6 days
Georgia: 6 days

Etc. etc. etc.

TBH things like this are increasingly why I think we should move to a 24 team RWC. 4 pools of 6, so games in each pool more evenly staggered with a last 16 made of the top 4 from each pool staggered to avoid the matches before last 4 (all 16 auto qualify for next edition).

More exposure for Tier 2 and 3 teams, upsets are less critical for reaching last 16 but will shape the tournament. A result like Uruguay today would give them a chance to face Georgia (assuming both beat an assumed weaker sixth team) for the last 16 spot and auto qualification. More minnows but some would have genuine chances to make a last 16 and could even make last 8 depending on results.

It will obviously need extra funding as you play more 1 more game guaranteed and most teams play 2 more, so up squads to 34 and require 9 front rowers and 3 scrum halves per squad.

And getting back on topic, TJ looked good and Matu will probably have a few weeks chilling out recovering from any head injury while his ban runs. Should have been a red and given Hidge got 3 weeks down from 6 that will give a similar benchmark.

Shawshank 25 September, 2019 15:39
I think every team will have one 4-day turn-around during the pool matches.

And it's arguably better for the minnows to have them early in the tournament, when they are fresh, rather than later on when they will be knackered/injured.

Florida 27 September, 2019 13:07
Motz suspended for 3 weeks. As he is out of Samoa's next match due to HIA protocols he will be available to play for us from 27 October.

However, due to his recent Tweet, I wouldn't be surprised to see his sanction increased much like Hughes' misjudged tweet and extra sanction

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net