Latest news:

Team vs Bristol (Cup)
Discussion started by Lazyboy346 , 04 October, 2019 14:25
Team vs Bristol (Cup)
Lazyboy346 04 October, 2019 14:25
Very youthful side - four of the senior intake from last year's academy and five current academy players. Good to see Botha make his debut.

Bristol have a decent side out (same link) so will probably be too much but good experience for the youngsters and helps balance the EQ numbers for later in the season.

[www.london-irish.com]

Re: Team vs Bristol (Cup)
LI Bohemian 04 October, 2019 20:35
Hopefully phil C will get a run out from the bench

Smudge21 06 October, 2019 16:55
It ends 44-27 to Bristol which is pretty much as expected from a pretty youthful team. Tries from englefield, loader x2 and Cooke

Lazyboy346 06 October, 2019 18:37
Following on twitter, it sounds like we held up for about 30 mins in each half but fell away towards the end. A better result than expected with an academy heavy team, with all tries scored by academy/former academy players.

Think we should rotate again for next week, giving game time to anyone who hasn't played much or at all yet bulked out with new signings and academy so they can all get used to playing at the madejski.

Florida 06 October, 2019 19:23
Considering that OHC was the only starter from last week I don't that's too shabby a result.

Very happy to see TBC getting a run out at 12

Blarney 06 October, 2019 19:32
Listening on BBC Bristol, my thoughts are thus...
Good:
The commentary made several mentions of how dangerous we were when we had the ball.

Curtis-Harris got lots of praise and carried strongly on a number of occasions.

Loader came on and scored twice in 20 mins - definitely needs to get some game time in the Prem.

Set piece seemed solid.

Bad:
Bristol scored most of their points in two relatively short periods (when Botha was binned in the first half and right at the end of the second). This would indicate that our defence is generally solid but that we are still prone to switching off at times and conceding several scores in quick succession. This habit did for us last time in the prem (Newcastle away anyone) and we will not survive if we dont make other teams work hard for every point they score.

Bristol were able to stop our driving maul dead. I feel this will be a big weapon for us against better teams so this was worrying.

Florida 06 October, 2019 20:46
Quote:
Blarney
Bristol were able to stop our driving maul dead. I feel this will be a big weapon for us against better teams so this was worrying.

This happened last time we were in the Prem too. Which the driving maul was effective in the Championship, it was never as potent in the Prem. This has always been one of my concerns of us relying so heavily on it in the Champ.

Its great to hear we're looking dangerous with ball in hand.

Bill the chip 06 October, 2019 20:54
Blarney, I was at the game today several points that may help..we were a massively changed unit again,not a bad thing for game time for the lads but against a v/ good Briz line up, a tough gig!

On that note , Botha has only just had a week in the country, Theo back after massive lay off and a 5th choice S/H( who played well)...... so lots of bits that had to gel and quickly. For most parts, like the quins game, we were in the fight ... the score got away from us after a real piece of nous from Nathan hughes( love to see if itís on side in replays as I suspect it wasnít)and an excellent turn of speed from their 15, who done Ben loader for gas... no easy task!

There most definitely has been improvement right across the team it seems , when the management settle on a team with the big names added on , I think we will give teams a much better fight than last time in the prem.

LI Bohemian 07 October, 2019 00:41
Irish Seem more competitive for a much changed side, looks like most teams are playing full strength and then a development team for this competition.

waltham 07 October, 2019 11:07
Some good tries here by both teams: Bristol v Irish highlights

Lazyboy346 07 October, 2019 12:30
Quote:
waltham
Some good tries here by both teams: Bristol v Irish highlights

Some lacklustre tackling at points, but strong in attack. Botha's yellow was deserved; not a great idea but did seem to be outnumbered down that flank. Bill the Chip seems to be right that the pass to Hughes was forward (the mowing lines on the pitch make it an easy spot). Loader finding space as ever - I'd start him on current form over Rona once Naholo arrives.

Bill the chip 07 October, 2019 12:34
Can someone clarify the try 4/5th I think? Where Nathan Hughes picks up.... isnít he in front of ball, thus illegal cheers

Rinkadink 08 October, 2019 12:19
Quote:
Lazyboy346
the pass to Hughes was forward (the mowing lines on the pitch make it an easy spot).

That was never forward, MP is always in front of man and ball and NH takes it behind. Why would you even look at the lines on the pitch, are we still in dark ages here where the ball has to travel backwards in relation to the ground? Haha. The only time that is relevant is when the passing player is completely stationary or checking offside/onside from a kick or similar.

Lazyboy346 08 October, 2019 12:46
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Lazyboy346
the pass to Hughes was forward (the mowing lines on the pitch make it an easy spot).

That was never forward, MP is always in front of man and ball and NH takes it behind. Why would you even look at the lines on the pitch, are we still in dark ages here where the ball has to travel backwards in relation to the ground? Haha. The only time that is relevant is when the passing player is completely stationary or checking offside/onside from a kick or similar.

Lines on the pitch can be a useful guide, but I agree it's about the ball travelling in relation to the players. Having rewatched it a few times, it still appears to my eye that Protheroe passes the ball with Hughes taking it close to his body at least a couple of feet further ahead of where it left Protheroe's hands. Protheroe is always ahead but slows slightly and cuts an angle in order to get the pass away before the tackle can come in.

Even giving benefit of the doubt for momentum, direction of the hands etc. I would still call that forward in real time as I was taught to do when qualifying as a ref. It's a marginal call but I would stand by it on the pitch (as I'd never have a TMO to call on at that level).

Think we can agree to disagree on this one?

Bill the chip 08 October, 2019 13:41
Guys guys.... Iím talking about the try where Hughes picks up in a ruck and I think a winger scores??? I thought he was past the ball and thus illegal..... it was the score that gave them back momentum and made final score a little bias... thanks

Rinkadink 08 October, 2019 14:00
Quote:
Lazyboy346

Fair enough!

Shall we say it's not clear and obviously forward?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 14:01 by Rinkadink.

Lazyboy346 08 October, 2019 16:38
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Lazyboy346

Fair enough!

Shall we say it's not clear and obviously forward?

Sure smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net