Latest news:

Team v Sale
Discussion started by orsoncart , 07 October, 2019 13:29
Team v Sale
orsoncart 07 October, 2019 13:29
Wouldn't it be a smart idea to play your top team next Saturday? Surely the coaches know who they want to put out v Wasps a week later, and surely we can't afford a slow start to this season?

For me, the time for experimenting has to be drawn to a close

Re: Team v Sale
Newname 07 October, 2019 13:50
I agree, nothing to play for in the PRC so give the 1st team a run out.

Smudge21 07 October, 2019 18:42
Hobbs awoyemi
Porecki if fit
Hoskins
Franco
Botha
Gilsenan
Cowan
Rogerson

Steele
Jackson
Loader
Hepetema
Rona
Williams
Parton

Faingaa
Lovejoy
Goodrick Clarke
Maddison
Curtis Harris
Meehan
Myler
Hassle Collins

HMRH 07 October, 2019 21:33
Albert Tuisue ban ends this weekend so Iíd have him for Wasps as adds bulk on the flank

paulm1953 08 October, 2019 08:26
Is Meehan fit and available

waltham 09 October, 2019 00:18
Quote:
orsoncart
Wouldn't it be a smart idea to play your top team next Saturday? Surely the coaches know who they want to put out v Wasps a week later, and surely we can't afford a slow start to this season?
For me, the time for experimenting has to be drawn to a close

Absolutely!!

Florida 12 October, 2019 17:55
Well, well, well. Give the strong Sale team and us still trying to find our groove I thought we'd be on the recieving end of a bit of a pasting. I'll gladly take that result, plenty to work on still but we look to be building towards being a competitive outfit.

Blarney 12 October, 2019 18:07
Playing against probably the strongest available line up of the form team in the league and coming within one line out of victory is definitely encouraging. Frustrating that we messed up that line out though, the way our maul had been going we were odds on to score.

SixNineOne 12 October, 2019 19:04
I was very encouraged by our performance. We looked competitive and our defence looked a bit better organised than in recent premiership outings. The line out was a bit of a shambles which was frustrating but all the youngsters acquitted themselves well. It would be nice if occasionally we were allocated one of the better referees. Just before Madisonís yellow he looked to have lost control of the game and the pass that led to Ashtonís second try looked well forward to most of us. I wouldnít be surprised if the citing officer tales a good look at that challenge on Tom Parton.

I must say, I was a bit surprised by Saleís performance, given that they are top of their pool and were fielding a pretty strong team. To my eye they looked decidedly stodgy and none of their big names did much apart from Ashtonís pair. Certainly, the Sale supporter sitting near me was decidedly underwhelmed and he didnít argue when I suggested some of their forwards were carrying a bit of excess ballast. Thereís still a long way to go but but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Shawshank 12 October, 2019 20:09
Poor old Parton had a bit of a shocker all game.

Terrible line out call at the end - it cried out for a throw to 2 and then a driving maul.

Forwards went well apart from line out, need to get the Ball much wider and earlier as our midfield looks pretty stodgy.

Lazyboy346 13 October, 2019 11:10
Thought we did well under pressure from the form team. Will need to see the Ashton try again but looked a borderline forward pass and grounding might be suspect. Think the high tackle count was very much in their favour and there were a lot worse than Barney's- suspect he got it because the carrier was clear and away otherwise.

Think we'll be much stronger in two weeks with Matuu, Mafi, Tuisue, Ioane, Cowan, Campbell and Veitokani available for us - they only get MacGinty, a Russian prop and the Du Preez brother who dropped out. Happy to have lost this week if we can win that one and get a first win under the belts early.

Smudge21 13 October, 2019 11:23
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Thought we did well under pressure from the form team. Will need to see the Ashton try again but looked a borderline forward pass and grounding might be suspect. Think the high tackle count was very much in their favour and there were a lot worse than Barney's- suspect he got it because the carrier was clear and away otherwise.
Think we'll be much stronger in two weeks with Matuu, Mafi, Tuisue, Ioane, Cowan, Campbell and Veitokani available for us - they only get MacGinty, a Russian prop and the Du Preez brother who dropped out. Happy to have lost this week if we can win that one and get a first win under the belts early.

Not sure any of the word cup lads will be available, thought they get a break so will be November time?

Alphacat 13 October, 2019 12:22
Not anticipating getting all of the RWC players back until December

Florida 13 October, 2019 14:16
Well they've only played 4 games, much like all the players that were left at home so chuck em in I say smiling smiley

In all seriousness, while they might not need a massive break they'll need at least a few weeks to get up to speed with the new structures

jimbo800 13 October, 2019 17:51
Is mafi injured? He didnít seem to feature much for Tonga unless he goes by a more traditional name on team sheets.

Chris1850 13 October, 2019 18:18
Quote:
Lazyboy346

Van Rensburg was also missing for Sale. He is first choice 12 by some distance

Florida 13 October, 2019 19:10
Quote:
jimbo800
Is mafi injured? He didnít seem to feature much for Tonga unless he goes by a more traditional name on team sheets.

Yup, picked up 4 different injuries I believe

norg2072 13 October, 2019 19:13

GMC_LI 13 October, 2019 20:17
Mafi has yet to get a visa, according to the linked article. What the....?

Iím sure somebody on here can offer an answer on how long that may take, but why has this not already been completed?

Finno 14 October, 2019 10:13
How nice to be sat in the Madstad playing strong Premiership opposition and still still in 'the mix' with 10 mins to go.... remember those days??

Are they back, or it it start of the season optimism! I really think the former!!! I think we are going to hold our own this season!

I hope I won't be eating my words by Xmas!!!

M51 14 October, 2019 13:36
I liked BVs tactics at Sarries in the early days was to win any way you can just to build confidence in the team. Lets hope we can see that happening with Irish by Xmas. Get some points on the table and kick on (literally and metaphorically) during 2020.
Looking forward to winning any which way.
M

Florida 14 October, 2019 17:42
Quote:
Finno
How nice to be sat in the Madstad playing strong Premiership opposition and still still in 'the mix' with 10 mins to go.... remember those days??
Are they back, or it it start of the season optimism! I really think the former!!! I think we are going to hold our own this season!

I hope I won't be eating my words by Xmas!!!

I'm not sure, I remember thinking we were back one game into our last season in the Prem and then it all fell apart.

I don't think we're quite there, but I think we're close.

The defense seems to be building week on week
The midfield might not have been great this week but TBC has been out for a year and Rona has played only a handful of games so is to be expected.
PJ looks like he's got decent control
The forwards have got their maul rolling

Onwards and upwards.

Xprop 14 October, 2019 19:59
It was the lineout that let us down. With parity there we would have won. There didn't seem to be any alternative to throwing the ball to Franco, which was really easy for the opposition to read.

Any way it can be fixed I'm sure.

paulm1953 15 October, 2019 10:34
Did Chris Ashton's second try go to the TMO for the push on our full back when our player didn't have the ball?

World Rugby Laws :

When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, neither player may charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.

LI Bohemian 15 October, 2019 11:31
Don't think there was a TMO for this cup game.

Blarney 15 October, 2019 17:26
Quote:
paulm1953
Did Chris Ashton's second try go to the TMO for the push on our full back when our player didn't have the ball?
World Rugby Laws :

When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, neither player may charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.

Thought that watching the highlights - a pretty obvious shove in the back from Ashton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net