Latest news:

SA v Canada
Discussion started by x_ile , 08 October, 2019 12:57
SA v Canada
x_ile 08 October, 2019 12:57
What is the point of these games which, before they even kick off, are guaranteed to be one way massacres?

NZ/Canada: 63 0
SA/Namibia: 57 3
England/USA: 45 7
NZ/Namibia: 71 9
even
Italy/Canada: 48 7
and today's
SA/Canada: Heading for a cricket score even before Canada came down to 14.

Etc, etc.

All a waste of TV time.

Re: SA v Canada
FrTed 08 October, 2019 13:24
Owen Slot in the Times today suggests answers. Not solely money - which is desperately needed (but gets lost by corrupt officials in Namibia say the Namibian team). Here are some ideas:

1. Islanders capped by Tier 1 nations can return to their native team after one year, so Piutau capped 4 years ago for NZ could now be playing for Tonga).

2. Possible squad members to be listed six months prior to RWC and financed (15-20 players withdrew due to lack of funding in one squad alone)

3. Tier 1 nations to play lesser teams in warm up and so not for the lesser teams to meet a Tier 1 side only in the tournament itself

Don't shoot the messenger

Shawshank 08 October, 2019 14:20
Maybe Tier 1 teams play the others with only 14 players?

Ajax Treesdown 08 October, 2019 16:50
Quote:
x_ile
What is the point of these games which, before they even kick off, are guaranteed to be one way massacres?
even
and today's

Etc, etc.

All a waste of TV time.

Say that to Japan vs SA / Japan vs Ireland

How are the weaker nations meant to improve if they canít test themselves vs the best?

Your post isnít really in the spirit of rugby, stick to football.

x_ile 08 October, 2019 18:00
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
x_ile
even
and today's

Etc, etc.

All a waste of TV time.

Say that to Japan vs SA / Japan vs Ireland

How are the weaker nations meant to improve if they canít test themselves vs the best?

Your post isnít really in the spirit of rugby, stick to football.

I'd have some sympathy with your views if Tier 1 nations were to give regular fixtures to the weaker nations and thus give regular opportunities to those weaker nations to improve.

However, the fact is that Tier 1 nations barely give Tier 2 and even weaker teams the time of day let alone regular fixtures. Just wait four years and hand out the regular thrashings just to make sure they know their place.

My understanding is that England, for instance, have never toured the PIs. When the Islanders visit the UK, England (again as I understand it) will just about condescend to pay the tourists' travelling expenses out of the millions the RFU take from the games at HQ. I'm not sure the ABs have toured the PIs either.

PS. And as for your rather offensive suggestion that I stick to football I can only say that I have even less time and respect for the obscenely wealthy money grubbing elite of the soccer world than I have for the likes of the self serving rulers of many of the Tier 1 nations. Rant over - for now.

bisach 08 October, 2019 18:24
Check what happens after the SA lineout at 36:32 in the first half.

I had to look at it several times just to confirm, in my eyes, that the officials will never let lesser teams get an advantage. An absolutely blatant knock on and then NOTHING, absolutely nothing.

GHA 08 October, 2019 22:06
Quote:
bisach
Check what happens after the SA lineout at 36:32 in the first half.
I had to look at it several times just to confirm, in my eyes, that the officials will never let lesser teams get an advantage. An absolutely blatant knock on and then NOTHING, absolutely nothing.

Is this sarcasm?

LI Bohemian 08 October, 2019 22:39
I don't think of Japan as a tier 2 nation, more of a tier 1.5, they have more wealth and investment behind them than all of the PI sides put together, they do have a small sprinkling Japanese players in the team as well.
I'm glad England were not in their pool as they would have beaten us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net