Latest news:

Magnificent 7?
Discussion started by Blarney , 12 October, 2019 17:26
Magnificent 7?
Blarney 12 October, 2019 17:26
On the eve of the premiership proper, time to take stock and consider what we will need to do to survive.

I feel generally encouraged by the cup games so far. Forwards have been competitive, backs have scored some decent tries. And arguably, the best of our new signings are yet to arrive.

Looking back at historical prem tables, it seems that winning 7 games (as well as picking up bonus points) usually guarantees 9th/10th place. Is this within our reach? Which of the established teams might underachieve this year to give us some targetable games?

Re: Magnificent 7?
Shawshank 12 October, 2019 19:10
Bath, Tigers and Wuss look to be the next weakest.

Still a mountain to climb though.

Alphacat 12 October, 2019 19:10
Think we might struggle to win until Christmas time, but don't see us getting stomped at home. Can see 1-2 wins in the first 5 or so games until we get our full complement back from the world cup. After that and going into the new year I think it will be significantly better, not amazingly better but I'm predicting either 10th or 9th placed finish.

Bazzo 12 October, 2019 22:06
Need to win a game before Christmas. Would be too much to do after. That would be a third of the season. Personally feel that the first game v Wasps is crucial. Could get a win and up and running.

Blarney 13 October, 2019 08:21
I feel like bonus points are crucial. Even if we lose games, if we can pick up enough losing/try bonus points to equiviate to a couple of wins then that would make things easier.

Last time up, when we lost we were thumped...we cant let that happen again.

Florida 13 October, 2019 18:09
Quote:
Blarney
I feel like bonus points are crucial. Even if we lose games, if we can pick up enough losing/try bonus points to equiviate to a couple of wins then that would make things easier.
Last time up, when we lost we were thumped...we cant let that happen again.

We picked up 7 last time we were up, the highest of any club that year. We need to learn to close out / win tight games and not come away with a LBP

Alphacat 14 October, 2019 15:26
Just a few of the home games the last time we were in the premiership

Round 6: Lose to Leicester by 1 point
Round 8: Lose to Bath by 4 points
Round 9: Lose to Wasps by 4 points
Round 12: Lose to Newcastle by 5 points
Round 14: Lose to Sail by 4 points
Round 18: Lose to Gloucester by 4 points

and a couple of close away games too.

Point is, at least at home, we generally weren't tonked in games, close out half of those games and end of season may have been a completely different story.

Away form was a different matter...

Steelman 14 October, 2019 18:38
Just checked the prem table,we,re currently 7 th......magnificent!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net