Latest news:

Tackling high Vs tackling low.
Discussion started by bigbitty , 13 October, 2019 19:19
Tackling high Vs tackling low.
bigbitty 13 October, 2019 19:19
I am not claiming any expert view on this in the slightest.

Way back when, the tackle around the legs was regarded as the best tackle to make, but come the professional era we started to see tackles being made higher on the body, presumably with the intent of:

1. Preventing the offload
2. Preventing the attacker from going to ground, and hence gaining the put in for yourself.

Naturally enough, these high tackles, made with all the power of modern players, were causing disquiet amongst the blazers. I would imagine their concern was twofold:

1. Preventing disabling damage not just to professional players, but club and school players also.
2. Reducing any potential insurance claims by showing duty of care.

However, we now seem to be going full circle, with the leg tackle coming back into vogue, and as the Japan/Scotland match showed a much better opportunity for the attacker to offload - the Japanese were brilliant at it.

Does this now start to reduce the value of a tackle? Should there be a new law saying that once the attacker hits the ground he may not offload?

I wish I knew.

Re: Tackling high Vs tackling low.
Foggy-Balla 13 October, 2019 21:00
All I know was that coaching youngsters to tackle was a nightmare as they wanted to do the choke tackle they saw in the adult game!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

cjm. 13 October, 2019 21:34
I would like to see an end to this rolling and rolling and rolling after being tackled put stop too. I don't know when it crept in but if a player brings you down and you are stopped that's it.

For too much "not held" for my liking.

Finno 14 October, 2019 09:03
Wasn't it the influence of Rugby League that really introduced tackling high?!

p.s. I also hate all this rolling after the tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net