Latest news:

Confessions of a Craic Editor
Discussion started by Griff , 17 October, 2019 09:54
Confessions of a Craic Editor
Griff 17 October, 2019 09:54
Time to 'fess up.

You may have noticed, although possibly not given the usual level of service here, that I've been a bit absent over the last few weeks. I've been in Japan (and Hong Kong) watching the RWC and having a bit of a holiday. We were lucky enough to see England v USA, Scotland v Samoa (both in the pressure cooker that is Kobe Misaki Stadium with the roof inexplicably shut) before repairing to Tokyo to see the England v Argentina match.

Sadly they were all fairly one-sided affairs but the crowds were superb, the organization of the events fantastic and we had a simply awesome time.

Japan is a superb country to visit (although save-up it's not cheap) and the locals couldn't have been more welcoming - they so wanted people to have a good time. While in Tokyo we discovered a Heavy Metal bar - Metal Godz in Shinjuku (we're all a bit metal but they were also showing the SA/Ita game when we first found it), which is excellent. If anyone is in Tokyo and looking for places to watch games - highly recommended. On a subsequent visit post-Eng/Arg we were leaped-on by one of the bar guys who was congratulating us on our win and enthusing about Japan's win against Samoa. I've never seen such pure unalloyed joy from a rugby supporter, I can only imagine what the place was like on Sunday - I'll certainly be cheering the Blossoms on against SA.

We have family in Hong Kong and spent the final week there. Surprisingly, despite the struggle going-on there it's still quite a place to visit - it's possibly one of the problems for the protesters that life can continue as normal while the crisis deepens but enough of the politics.

HK has the first ever fan zone outside a RWC host country on its harbour-front and we watched USA/Arg, Sco/Rus and Wal/Fiji there. If you're over there I can heartily recommend the experience (although it has no shade for the viewers - if it had been busy and we'd not got into the air-conditioned clubhouse during the day I might have got cooked).

So, apologies for the sporadic service, I'm now getting over the jet-lag and I'm back up-to-speed at work so I should be on it from here.

Admin
I've not put-up any polls for MotM for the cup games. It doesn't sound like there was much interest in the competition from Irish supporters anyway but I'm simply going to ignore those games and start the MotM polls from Sunday's game. Shout up if you disagree.
Apologies to fatlad76 who wrote us a great report from the Glaws game and I struggled to extract the image he included in a Word document on my phone. Thanks for persevering fatlad!
Thanks also to Shawshank for his, HMRH for at least trying to find a replacement when he couldn't get to the Bristol game and LiBo for his (to be published) Sale report.

Re: Confessions of a Craic Editor
Foggy-Balla 18 October, 2019 13:24
Sounds like a great trip, had forgotten you’d gone. My memory of HK a bit hazy as I’d gone for the Sevens in a different life, but Tokyo was a brilliant experience.

We’ve been keeping the drum seats warm for you, but I have no idea what to shout at the referee. Did you work out the Japanese for, “what are you watching, man?” (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Shawshank 18 October, 2019 15:43
The drum sounded valiantly last Saturday...(Sm100)

waltham 26 October, 2019 18:57
Sounds fantastic Griff...but always great to have you back...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net