A Halloween Horror
Discussion started by Despriarno , 26 October, 2019 14:54
A Halloween Horror
Despriarno 26 October, 2019 14:54
Half time and Iím struggling to think of any redeeming features

Offering no threat at all

Re: A Halloween Horror
LI Bohemian 26 October, 2019 15:37
Totally agree, after watching the game this morning I'm just shocked at how bad irish are compaired to, to anyone frankly

HK Phooey 26 October, 2019 16:01
So bad, even the All Blacks could beat us

x_ile 26 October, 2019 16:11
What happened between last week and this week?

Shawshank 26 October, 2019 16:20
Maxwell-Keys was a joke. Took 60 mins before he gave a penalty against Sale. Unbelievable.

But yes, we were poor. Forwards beaten up all over, Steele and Jackson were pretty clueless and had no control at all, and Hepatema is too small to try to bosh it up in midfield.

Blair was great until he left, and Botha showed up well. Thatís about it...

mackemII 26 October, 2019 17:38
Quote:
Shawshank
Maxwell-Keys was a joke. Took 60 mins before he gave a penalty against Sale. Unbelievable.
But yes, we were poor. Forwards beaten up all over, Steele and Jackson were pretty clueless and had no control at all, and Hepatema is too small to try to bosh it up in midfield.

Blair was great until he left, and Botha showed up well. Thatís about it...

So it wasn't Ian Tempest refereeing then?

cjm. 26 October, 2019 17:57
The players didn't seem to have their heads in the game at all, especially first half.

Awful penalties given away ( always in at the side, why don't they know this isn't allowed ), holding on etc, etc.

There are some sides that are mentally slack and LI is one of them. A good win last week, horror show this week. Rain was no excuse.

Shawshank 26 October, 2019 17:57
No, deffo C M-K

LarryM 26 October, 2019 20:36
No take away from the match. A sad team with no spirit, flair or enthusiasm. Several times watched the backs jogging - not running - for the ball, which summed up the team overall. I think we enjoyed our week near the top of the table - itís back to the bottom for the rest of the season unless something drastic takes place.

Ruckingood 26 October, 2019 21:29
Not a good performance.. set piece was solid as a rock but every time the ball moved away.. blattered.. poor from Steele and Rona is not living up to his "reputation" .. sad day at the office really

SirBurger 26 October, 2019 22:11
When is Stephenson fit? Donít want to get carried away after one game, but Hepetema and Rona really struggled today.

Norton Canes 27 October, 2019 07:41
Quote:
Shawshank
If one team are dominant in terms of possession and territory, don't make any mistakes and are very disciplined it's entirely possible they may not give penalties away. Sixty minutes is an exaggeration as Sale gave a PK away at the end of the first half.

Xprop 27 October, 2019 09:00
Poor kicking from Jackson and Steele. We very rarely regained possession or gained territory.

RodB 27 October, 2019 11:11
We seem much happier playing a fast and wide game, which was never going to be the game yesterday. The "play it in their half" was very poorly executed and they made serious yardage running it back at us and bullied us in the maul s. Their kicking game was much better than ours and the outcome was inevitable

RodB 27 October, 2019 12:40
Seemed to me that the Sale squad looked a fair bit bigger than ours and it seemed to show in their mauling and ability to break through the tackle.

Marbo 27 October, 2019 13:17
Yesterday's game was a real crash down to earth for me. I was very excited after the wasp game and expected at least a decent showing against a Sale team that are going to cause problems this season in the league.

Jackson looked off and kicking with no communication to the rest of the team. The front row struggled - though I am not sure the referring helped. And my biggest worry is we couldn't get the ball out wide to our talented wingers. I know you need to earn the right to go wide and yesterday wasn't a day for quick hands/passes but we have some super talented wingers out on the pitch, and a decent new Zealander coming over to join us soon on the wing, we need to get the ball in their hands and let them run. They are our biggest attacking threats.

Exile_Dave 27 October, 2019 13:58
On the plus side Dell had a run out and looked good. Give him a few more weeks and he should be better on calls etc.

The game flowed better when Myler came on but was unfortunately too late. Myler should start the next game with PJ on the bench.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

RodB 27 October, 2019 14:18
Any news on Dell? He looked decidedly 2nd hand as he walked off.

orsoncart 27 October, 2019 15:45
Trouble is that we fielded last yearís championship side with three changes

Where on earth are Phipps, Mafi, Coleman etc plus TJ, the Fijian 15, we need them pretty rapidly or weíll be well adrift

millhillexile 27 October, 2019 16:22
Not making excuses because that was a poor performance but agree that that was our championship team and while we got a good win at Wasps, the boys were hanging on for the last quarter. We started off bright enough but Sale sucked it in and the try where their 10 kicked it crossfield was a team full of confidence. They were very impressive as we were poor and could do well this season. Sarries next week will be interesting.

Xprop 27 October, 2019 16:32
Quote:
orsoncart
Where on earth are Phipps, Mafi, Coleman etc plus TJ, the Fijian 15, we need them pretty rapidly or weíll be well adrift

Mafi is waiting for a visa. TJ was interviewed at half time so presumably is available. Coleman and Phipps were still in Japan just a week ago.

Shawshank 27 October, 2019 17:36
I know itís early days, but Keatley looked a class above Jackson, who frankly needs to show a bit more enthusiasm.

plzd 27 October, 2019 17:55
[quote Shawshank]Maxwell-Keys was a joke. Took 60 mins before he gave a penalty against Sale. Unbelievable.

Maybe they didn't give any away?

shimmieandshake 27 October, 2019 18:01
Quote:
Xprop
Quote:
orsoncart

Mafi is waiting for a visa. TJ was interviewed at half time so presumably is available. Coleman and Phipps were still in Japan just a week ago.

Phipps wasn't in Aus squad. Think I read Naholo is arriving this week, which is good.

Exile_Dave 27 October, 2019 18:23
Quote:
Xprop
Quote:
orsoncart

Mafi is also injured.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Alphacat 27 October, 2019 19:08
We'll be fine...

Xprop 27 October, 2019 20:16
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Quote:
Xprop
Quote:
orsoncart

Mafi is also injured.

It was an infected cut on his knee so probably OK by now.

Finno 27 October, 2019 20:34
For me Sale taught us a lesson about what is required in The Premiership. Their pack was big, strong and abrasive, bossed the break down and gave us no ball. We have to infringe to keep possession. Without ball everything else suffers!!

p.s. They then were absolutely clinical when they got a chance..

They are the benchmark to which we must aspire!!

tatthecraic2 28 October, 2019 10:39
Sales are touted as top 4 this season, Their Head coach has also boasted they have 94% availability in their squad for the opening games of the premiership.

not that it should be an excuse. but Sale are really kicking on as a team it was a very good performance from a very comfortable premiership team. against a not playing as well as we could, mostly championship team...

i'm going to be positive and let this one slide in terms of the doom and gloom. but we have to see an improvement against Sarries and some of the new boys / RWC available ASAP

NMB 28 October, 2019 11:03
Worcester beat Leicester at home so as a comparator that will be an interesting one. If we get a similar result as the Sale game then in all likelihood we will be in a lot of trouble this season. Off days are ok but the premiership is just too competitive to allow, especially at home!

Agree that we can't take too much from this game but need to see the improvement fast. Bottom line is 4 points from the first two games is good, I just imagined the results would have been the other way around

Not all doom a gloom but the signs are there - I'll reserve judgement for after the Leicester game

Lazyboy346 28 October, 2019 11:12
Hopefully saturday is going to be a good marker of what needs doing and how to play. A virtually unbeaten (1 missed kick away) potentially top 4 premiership side vs our championship side (plus Dell) on a bad day in horrid weather. Throw in a poor first half and them getting the bounce of every ball (e.g. OHC's volley clearance going to hand with a 3 on 1, or that first try which looked unclear on replay), and we just weren't at the races.

Looking forward Saracens haven't looked amazing so far and we should have more world cup players available next week so there's a chance we can get a point or more there. We then should have them settled for the game vs Tigers who could potentially still have no points at that stage and are looking the poorest I've seen them.

If we can win that, we should be somewhere near mid table going into Europe where we can rotate and gel the squad (qualifying is a bonus). Lose vs Tigers and it could be a long season...

Bazzo 28 October, 2019 11:58
I wish people would not use the term, "Championship side"

It is the team that we put out in the Premiership. Lots of those players won a Championship medal last year, but I am sure that they regard themselves as "Premiership Players" and you have added some great players straight away into the team, PJ being the most notably for me as I believe that he is in the marquee player category. The team is being put out there to compete and win. It is a Premiership team, it just remains to be seen how good a Prem team that they are. It was a really bad performance v Sale, thought we would be way more competitive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net