Latest news:

Team's up
Discussion started by RodB , 01 November, 2019 12:09
Team's up
RodB 01 November, 2019 12:09
[www.london-irish.com]
Strong looking side and bench. Great to see Tom Stephenson back and TJ ready to put it about a bit. Likely same conditions as last week or worse, so I hope we've got a plan B this time out. I expect it to rain high balls as well as the wet stuff

Re: Team's up
Smudge21 01 November, 2019 12:10
Yup some interesting selections. Amazing how strong saracens are despite being without a large chunk of their squad..!

olipool 01 November, 2019 13:05
Anyone know who will kick with both Myler and Jackson on the field?

RodB 01 November, 2019 13:14
On the basis of no data whatsoever, I would say that Myler had the better stats ☺☺
I wonder when we'll see Freddie at fullback

tatthecraic2 01 November, 2019 13:20
Saracens have a really big Gnarly pack. we will really need to front up this week.

shimmieandshake 01 November, 2019 13:21
Any word on what's happened to Tom Parton? I'm guessing injured, not dropped?

RodB 01 November, 2019 13:26
Perhaps it's because they're expecting/ intending a full on kicking game. Not sure it's Parton"s strongest suit (though PJ didn't excel there last week either)

Lazyboy346 01 November, 2019 13:44
Could be a horrid wet day on an artificial pitch. Think we've gone for as gnarly a forwards pack as we can especially as they've got three locks starting; hopefully TJ brings his super tackling form from the RWC and can help Blair with some turnovers.

Paddy and Myler at 10 and 15 can interchange and have both got lots of experience in poor conditions as it might be a day to truck it up then kick for corners. Stepehenson coming back is good news too.

shimmieandshake 01 November, 2019 15:27
Makes sense. Also thrilled Tom's back, can see him nailing down the 12 shirt.

CharlieG 01 November, 2019 17:10
Looks like the ref is making only his 2nd Premiership appearance - still, he has Craig Maxwell-Keys as AR to help him out, so why worry . . .

[rugbyreferee.net]

RodB 02 November, 2019 13:55
Maybe the biblical weather predictions were slightly over egged.... c'mon Irish... let's run 'em off the park. After this morning's efforts, what have we got to lose 😉😉

RodB 02 November, 2019 14:52
Or maybe not... It's hissing down again here now... up the jumper time?

cjm. 02 November, 2019 16:00
No one watching. Tight one. good defence this week at least.

HeavyCream 02 November, 2019 16:01
Quote:
cjm.
No one watching. Tight one. good defence this week at least.

I may end up eating my words. A bonus point would be very welcome!

John H 02 November, 2019 16:27
A win would be even better. We are leading 13 - 8 after 58 minutes and playing very well

Florida 02 November, 2019 16:29
Win or lose, this has been a much improved performance

HeavyCream 02 November, 2019 16:39
10 minutes to go!!!!

Alphacat 02 November, 2019 16:52
Noooooooo sad smiley

cjm. 02 November, 2019 16:52
Home decisions!

Florida 02 November, 2019 16:52
And we lost, apart from those final 10 minutes we looked pretty good.

ExiledChameleon 02 November, 2019 16:54
Ridiculous final penalty, we were robbed of a draw, but realistically no more than that.

AlecW 02 November, 2019 16:54
Would someone please explain what that last penalty was for...???

Gah...!

I expect Chels will go and lose now! 🙄

Margin_Walker 02 November, 2019 16:55
That last play was utterly ridiculous. Duncan Taylor was lying on his side in the ruck to win the holding on pen.

norg2072 02 November, 2019 16:55
I didn't think it was a penalty. Losing BP useful though even though we should have won.

tatthecraic2 02 November, 2019 16:55
A losing bonus point will do nicely enough

jimbo800 02 November, 2019 16:59
We’re infuriating to support, 78 minutes we’re leading, three minutes later we lose the game entirely from different plays in the game. Everyone around us picked up points today.

Ruckingood 02 November, 2019 17:01
Not a penalty at the end.. but why did we run it.. hoof it downfield and let them chase.. much better game all round though..

cjm. 02 November, 2019 17:02
Quote:
jimbo800
We’re infuriating to support, 78 minutes we’re leading, three minutes later we lose the game entirely from different plays in the game. Everyone around us picked up points today.
Ref had more to do with it than the team. Hate complaining about it but that yellow card was the fastest I have seen. First time Sarries had been anywhere near our line for a long time and carded first offence. Add the penalty to give Sarries and early Xmas gift.

tatthecraic2 02 November, 2019 17:06
I know it infuriating but were a team that need building in the prem. When you're established and confident you make those decisions 99pc of the time.

It's actually a promising result imho

jimbo800 02 November, 2019 17:08
I would have taken Italy result for sure, just not from a winning position on 78 minutes

Smudge21 02 November, 2019 17:12
Yup tough one to take having been ahead so close to the final whistle, think a draw would have been fair result.
So vital now that we back this up against Leicester, Leicester struggled to beat a very out of sorts Gloucester today and if we're going to stay up then these are the games we must win at home.

shimmieandshake 02 November, 2019 17:13
The point is good, but absolutely robbed of another. Horrific decision.

Great to see the boys fronting up again though.

tatthecraic2 02 November, 2019 17:29
It's a helluva long season. Plenty of teams will go home and away and not get any points vs Saracens... gotta take this on the chin.

We still have our new superstars to play aswell. Its positive

Smudge21 02 November, 2019 17:32
Time to unleash naholo on Leicester next week...!

NMB 02 November, 2019 19:29
I would definitely of been happy with the point initially but it's just the losing it at the death that stings. The swing in performance week on week is odd. next weeks game against Leicester really will be crucial and an indication of where we are as a team, can we front up two weeks in a row?

We definitely have a core of strong performers especially in the pack - Blair, tuisue and Botha especially and TJ Ione had a real impact as well.

Consistency of performance will be the key to staying up. A bad day at the office like the Sale game really needs to just be a one off

Zyder head 03 November, 2019 07:00
I was watching the highlights last night and I honestly don't think I have seen a worse decision than that final penalty or will do all season! Definitely a "home" penalty.
When it comes down to it surely the TJ camera side and TMO can see that was an obviously wrong decision that one of them can interject and and say to Sir "do you want to check that on the big screen?"
We have the technology but rules are rules etc etc.....
As someone above pointed out the ball probably should have been belted down field before that though.

You look very well organised and well coached so will provide a test to all this season.
Looking forward to renewing rivalries.
From a Chiefs man.

Heaf 03 November, 2019 11:34
Which channel are the highlights shown on please? I've lost track of who shows what these days ...

Found it - channel 5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 11:55 by Heaf.

Heaf 03 November, 2019 12:08
Just seen the last penalty awarded to give Sarries the win - and looks like a complete shocker from the ref, if anything should have gone the other way for not realising the tackled player - don't recognise him so he must be new so maybe needs to go back to ref school ...

millhillexile 03 November, 2019 12:39
Haven’t seen the highlights but got the feeling in the last 5mins of the match it was going to go Saracens way. We started well and Sarries struggled to get out of their own half but we just couldn’t make the final killer pass. 2nd half after we got the try we defended really well, scrum and line out really good but again we couldn’t get that one more score that in atrocious conditions would have killed the game. A feeling of one that got away.Blair is back to his best and Ruan Botha is a top player. SMyler and PJ were very comfortable and Tom Stephenson is 1st choice centre for me. A much improved performance and next week is massive.

Smudge21 03 November, 2019 12:49
Yep Stephenson definitely first choice centre for me too. Impressed so much before his unfortunate Injury last year

Exile_Dave 03 November, 2019 15:33
Quote:
Heaf
Just seen the last penalty awarded to give Sarries the win - and looks like a complete shocker from the ref, if anything should have gone the other way for not realising the tackled player - don't recognise him so he must be new so maybe needs to go back to ref school ...

It was the refs 2nd game apparently. Obviously showed with the penalty to Sarries.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

NMB 03 November, 2019 19:48
Just seen the highlights.... I can only assume it was not for holding on but for something else that was out of view. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, such a big call!

Ruckingood 04 November, 2019 04:40
Quote:
NMB
Just seen the highlights.... I can only assume it was not for holding on but for something else that was out of view. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, such a big call!
Speaking to players after they conformed that ot was for holding on... the ref really lost the plot with 7 to go.. yellow card for a first offence.. etc
However, we needed to be smarter than we were in the last few mins.. significant improvement though .. now for the Tigers

Griff 05 November, 2019 13:38
Highlights here

Hadn't seen the highlights. That penalty at the end is a joke, plus how come they bring a maul down on the line and get away with it, we do it and it's a card? I know we scored ours but honestly, sir, if it's a card the try doesn't delete it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 13:41 by Griff.

Lazyboy346 05 November, 2019 18:35
Just seen the highlights. Taylor does do a clear release and goes back in for it but is immediately rucked off his feet by Cowan. The ref penalised us for the ball not coming out but it's clear from the close up that the hands holding it in weren't the Irish player. Should have been our penalty for playing it off feet - poor call by an inexperienced ref.

Margin_Walker 05 November, 2019 18:47
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Just seen the highlights. Taylor does do a clear release and goes back in for it but is immediately rucked off his feet by Cowan. The ref penalised us for the ball not coming out but it's clear from the close up that the hands holding it in weren't the Irish player. Should have been our penalty for playing it off feet - poor call by an inexperienced ref.

Ref actually penalised TJ for hands in the ruck. Which is completely ridiculous as:

A. Helping the ball to the base like that never gets penalised.
B. More importantly, the only reason he had to touch the ball at all was due to Taylor holding on to it completely illegally, lying sideways in the ruck.

Only cost a point and I hate moaning at refs, but it was a complete shocker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net