Latest news:

Just a thought!
Discussion started by The Sligo Rover , 14 November, 2019 07:30
Just a thought!
The Sligo Rover 14 November, 2019 07:30
I read an entry on one of the posts on the excellent win over Tigers which said:
ďMissed penalty by Tigers. So bad a shank they get a lineout 5m out.Ē
Just a thought, but if you are kicking a penalty for goal, and it somehow goes into touch without anybody touching it, should you still have the privilege of the throw in at the subsequent line out?
My thought is-maybe not.

Re: Just a thought!
bigbitty 14 November, 2019 08:21
I would agree.

They were given the choice and chose to kick for the posts. If the kick falls short, play continues with whoever caught the ball in possession, so a shank to touch should be a throw in to the opposition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2019 08:22 by bigbitty.

Florida 14 November, 2019 08:59
Quote:
bigbitty
I would agree.
They were given the choice and chose to kick for the posts. If the kick falls short, play continues with whoever caught the ball in possession, so a shank to touch should be a throw in to the opposition.

However, if a kick to touch doesn't find touch then play continues with whoever picks up the ball. Therefore if a penalty finds touch, even if intended to bisect the posts, the team that kicked should get the throw in.

Honestly I don't know, I can see an argument for both, I don't think it's something I'd ever seen before.

HMRH 14 November, 2019 10:00
Once a kick at goal Is signalled the kicker must place the ball to be kicked which they canít do to kick to touch.

If the placed kick at goal then goes into touch itís a missed penalty surely as you are not allowed to placekick into touch from a penalty

Griff 14 November, 2019 11:05
That's my understanding HMRH, I can't remember the incident from Sunday...

Heaf 14 November, 2019 13:02
Certainly if it was judged deliberate it would have been a scrum at the point of the kick to the defending team, so I don't see why you should still get the throw in just because it was accidental.

In fact I think there was a clarification a few years back for if the ball bounced off the post into touch and the ruling was throw to the non-kicking team - so this would appear to be a more extreme example of the same type of scenario so it should have been a throw to LI.

Clontarf 14 November, 2019 13:03
I can't remember that incident but Leicester's penalty kicking to touch was abysmal.

What annoyed me was that we didn't react.

London Irish under this and previous coaches defend penalty kicks to touch in a very lazy fashion with a solitary winger on the touch line. We should have put pressure on the kicker by loading the touchline and forcing him to go even shorter.

Shawshank 14 November, 2019 15:37
I think what happened is that about 2 mins after half-time Tigers had a penalty about 30m out in front of our posts, and rather than take an easy 3pts they kicked to touch to try to get a 5m line-out.

However, the kick was indeed a ghastly shank and ended up on about our 22m line.

As an aside, whilst we defended the driving maul well close to our line, I sometimes think we should 'go up and challenge' - if nothing else to keep the oppo hooker 'honest' and under pressure each time.

SirBurger 14 November, 2019 16:03
Quote:
Shawshank
I think what happened is that about 2 mins after half-time Tigers had a penalty about 30m out in front of our posts, and rather than take an easy 3pts they kicked to touch to try to get a 5m line-out.
However, the kick was indeed a ghastly shank and ended up on about our 22m line.

As an aside, whilst we defended the driving maul well close to our line, I sometimes think we should 'go up and challenge' - if nothing else to keep the oppo hooker 'honest' and under pressure each time.

It is a risky tactic though, as you commit three defending players (two lifters and a jumper). I think our tactic of competing in the middle areas of the pitch worked well and we seemed to repel their close drives fairly successfully, so no real complaints from me on that front.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net