Re: Team v Scarlets
CharlieG 15 November, 2019 12:10
Scarlets team: - [www.scarlets.wales]

Iron Lung 15 November, 2019 12:40
Ryan Lamb on the Scarlets' bench!

Jonny_C 15 November, 2019 16:21
Surely Ryan Mutton now, he's been around for sooooooo looooongggggg!

SixNineOne 15 November, 2019 19:47
Scarlets have five players called Evans in their squad so itís a bit disappointing that they could only muster two of them to play us...

tatthecraic2 16 November, 2019 20:09
Some very nice continuity there from us. Confident in attack at least

PV 16 November, 2019 20:21
Impressed with Phipps.

We are definitely competitive today. Bookies had us at 6/1

Blarney 16 November, 2019 20:24
Ref looks to be a bit of a homer...

PV 16 November, 2019 20:29
I think heís been quite balanced.

Blarney 16 November, 2019 20:33
Scarlets try. A chip through not dealt with by Parton (though to be fair the ball took a cruel bounce away from him)

PV 16 November, 2019 20:35
Considering the side we have out, it shows how much depth we now have. Promising so far.

PV 16 November, 2019 21:23
Tackle on Parton was a yellow, Gallagher did get that wrong

GHA 16 November, 2019 21:26
Quote:
PV
Tackle on Parton was a yellow, Gallagher did get that wrong

Maul, ball carrier and tackler break away and go to ground then their 7 comes completely in the side, dives in and lies on top of the ball. Pretty sure that's illegal.

tatthecraic2 16 November, 2019 21:49
A lot of positives there. A much weaker team than our league team. A lot of players under 22 years old and I was really impressed. Like any youngsters we were more prone to creaking and giving away penalties when under pressure.

I personally had never heard of Donell before today but though he had a good engine.

An unlucky bounce got away from Parton. If not for that we would likely have won.

All positive in my book... except the score line.

Shawshank 16 November, 2019 21:52
Good defence, great commitment and organisation, but pretty poor handling really killed us.

Being fair, a BP was probably about what we deserved.

Scrum is looking the best for a good few seasons.

Alphacat 16 November, 2019 23:07
Happy with that, despite the loss

millhillexile 17 November, 2019 09:08
Scarlets have been a bogey team for us in the past, but the boys gave a very good performance particularly in the 1st half with Smyler standing out with Harry Ellington. 2nd half was scrappy although we were competitive and game could have gone either way. The Sale game seems a distant memory thank god and for what was our 2nd string that was a good Bp well deserved.

Lazyboy346 17 November, 2019 10:53
Very happy with an lbp away at our bogey team given that was most of the team they've played in all their league games so far against our second string players. Elrington put in a good stint against quality tightheads. Wasn't impressed by the booing when Myler went down in the first half.

Could have been a win if a few bounces of the ball had gone our way first half while scarlets got a good bounce for their first try. Hopefully we are still in with a chance of qualifying come the return fixture.

P.s. shout out to Mundoscarlet!

dooj106 17 November, 2019 11:31
Came away from the game feeling pretty positive. Was a decent shift by the boys as has been mentioned. Would like to see a strong side out next week to get people ready for the Bristol game.

Florida 17 November, 2019 11:41
Some nice attacking play, pretty solid defense, Phipps looks excellent. Penalties are still a big concern, without Blair and TJ the breakdown isn't as effective, we really missed our ball carriers.

Given the competition and the team out, overall pretty happy.

jimbo800 17 November, 2019 12:12
A couple of years ago that would probably got a thumping but it seems like the competitive edge is filtering through and the whole squad is on board. Keep it up guys, canít wonít them all but a narrow loss is better for morale than a walloping every few weeks.

x_ile 17 November, 2019 12:30
Only watched 1st half on tv and got fed up with the lack of continuity due to handling errors (were conditions really that iffy?), invisible (to me) offences and a stream of injuries. First half lasted the best part of an hour.

One thing that stood out was the Scarlets' play of passing behind dummy runners. Whilst I understand the reasoning, it often seems to be an ineffective ploy since no one seems to pay much attention to dummy runners these days. Furthermore, when Scarlets were using a row of at least three dummy runners almost looking like a wall, when does their use become obstruction?

cjm. 17 November, 2019 14:37
Quote:
x_ile
Only watched 1st half on tv and got fed up with the lack of continuity due to handling errors (were conditions really that iffy?), invisible (to me) offences and a stream of injuries. First half lasted the best part of an hour.
One thing that stood out was the Scarlets' play of passing behind dummy runners. Whilst I understand the reasoning, it often seems to be an ineffective ploy since no one seems to pay much attention to dummy runners these days. Furthermore, when Scarlets were using a row of at least three dummy runners almost looking like a wall, when does their use become obstruction?

Yes a lot of poor handling, no real conditions that I could see.

I hate dummy runners. Didn't it used to be that all active players had to be behind the ball otherwise it was obstruction?

Heaf 17 November, 2019 14:43
I think the law still says if you are offside you can't take an active part in play so I guess it's interpretation about what's active ...

cjm. 17 November, 2019 15:09
Quote:
Heaf
I think the law still says if you are offside you can't take an active part in play so I guess it's interpretation about what's active ...

To paraphrase a soccer ( heehee ) phrase, if you're not active what are you doing on the pitch?

SixNineOne 17 November, 2019 15:38
Quote:
x_ile
Conditions were fine at the ground. It was dry and there was no wind, although it was decidedly parky at Parc y Scarlets... so perhaps that's why we kept on dropping the ball. Personally I'm finding our misfiring line-outs a bit frustrating, because it should be relatively easily fixed. They clearly got the better of us at scrum time, although on the one occasion we destroyed their scrum the ref just waved play on. Overall though, I'm encouraged by our commitment and defensive organisation.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the crowd. There was a constant torrent of abuse being hurled at our players and the ref from the terraces in front of where I was sitting. Nothing like the good humoured banter you get at other grounds - more suited to a soccer stadium than a rugby ground.

paulm1953 17 November, 2019 19:14
I was disappointed to see in the second half the referee gave a penalty for no arms in the tackle despite the replay showing the Conor (I think) had tackled with both arms. The penalty led to their second try. Also I assume Scott was instructed to box kick where possible. This was a useless ploy IMO.

Thought the defensive work was superb.

Paul_D 17 November, 2019 20:53
Quote:
paulm1953
I was disappointed to see in the second half the referee gave a penalty for no arms in the tackle despite the replay showing the Conor (I think) had tackled with both arms. The penalty led to their second try. Also I assume Scott was instructed to box kick where possible. This was a useless ploy IMO.

It was for a late tackle, not no arms.

paddym 17 November, 2019 21:32
Quote:
paulm1953

I thought Lovejoys defence work was outstanding when he came on in second half. How much has he improved since joining LI.

Blarney 18 November, 2019 08:54
On re-watch, I'm reminded of why I like Gilsenen so much. Huge commitment and work rate. Wasnt there an interview with one of the coaches where they mentioned how much of a role he plays at the club - gelling the squad together and setting an example?

Whilst Blair and TJ are first choice at the moment, I hope Conor and the impressive if unlucky Northcott-Green get more chances this season.

jimbo800 18 November, 2019 09:15
Interesting to know how long Max N-G has left on contract, with the amount of injuries heís had itíll be hard to see another one handed out unless he can put some games together

mackemII 18 November, 2019 11:46
Quote:
x_ile
I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the crowd. There was a constant torrent of abuse being hurled at our players and the ref from the terraces in front of where I was sitting. Nothing like the good humoured banter you get at other grounds - more suited to a soccer stadium than a rugby ground.

Agreed. Even the Shed doesn't go to those extremes.

Florida 18 November, 2019 14:06
After this weekends game we've moved up to 6th in the Premiership 😂

Hill16Dub 23 November, 2019 09:07
Having seen many games over the years there following *irishí teams the scarlet fans boo literally everyone and can be unpleasant, they are not called the one eyed scarlets for nothing, lucky Nigel Owens wasnít reffing he would never have got out of there alive (they hate him) Scarlets fans all saying ref was shocking and biased because he was Irish ????
Conditions were perfect for rugby - really poor game to watch , though nice to be able to travel to see LI so close to home for a change

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net