Latest news:

Poor home crowds
Discussion started by paulm1953 , 23 November, 2019 20:21
Poor home crowds
paulm1953 23 November, 2019 20:21
Today there was supposedly 2,600 at the game. Where are the fans? Bayonne had about 10 fans and they were making more noise than the home support.

Good result.

Re: Poor home crowds
Paul_D 23 November, 2019 21:10
Cold wet miserable day
Competition that draws little interest
Weíre moving to Brentford so no incentive to draw casual support

TSW22 23 November, 2019 22:01
And free to watch on challenge cup website!

Alphacat 23 November, 2019 22:18
I wouldn't be surprised if the club is not putting significant effort into drawing crowds for this season - little point when we are about to move.

Besides, got a decent crowd for the Leicester game.

wattshisname 24 November, 2019 00:16
And you're surprised? I'm sure there are thousands of Irish Londoners waiting for next season.

Florida 24 November, 2019 00:36
Quote:
wattshisname
And you're surprised? I'm sure there are thousands of Irish Londoners waiting for next season.

Certainly two here

wattshisname 24 November, 2019 00:48
Whoopee!

orsoncart 24 November, 2019 06:56
Quote:
Alphacat
I wouldn't be surprised if the club is not putting significant effort into drawing crowds for this season - little point when we are about to move.
Besides, got a decent crowd for the Leicester game.

The crowd for the Leicester game wasnít that decent, most of them, where i was sitting in WL, were from Leicester. It was very noticeable that most of the LI regulars over the last ten years seem to have drifted away. Almost inevitable Iím afraid, as there hasnít been that much from the club to encourage them to stay. I really feel that a trick has been missed - it would have been a whole lot less risky to have persuaded them to go to Brentford, rather than to rely to a great extent on attracting brand new support.

Must also leave a big hole in this yearís financials

paulm1953 24 November, 2019 07:53
The usual responses

Too cold
Meaningless Trophy
Game available on TV or on line

The crowd are to 16th man. They need your support.

GHA 24 November, 2019 11:43
Keep up the performances and the results and the crowds will grow

millhillexile 24 November, 2019 12:31
Agree GHA. Even in the championship the type of Rugby was attritional. Territory, line out, maul, score, repeat. We have seen much more back play this season. Itís more enjoyable to watch and you can see a plan. People will not come to watch us get beat and play boring rugby but if we are at least competitive and playing an attractive style some that left will come back hopefully.

SirBurger 24 November, 2019 13:06
Quote:
GHA
Keep up the performances and the results and the crowds will grow

Agreed. These things take time, but for the first time in years I have friends wanting to come to games with me, particularly over the festive period. Not surprising that not many want to go to a match against a second string french side.

Digger for President 24 November, 2019 13:57
I think they have shot themselves in the foot with pricing. I sent a couple of messages to see who fancied going to the Leicester game. Got a couple of replies saying it was too expensive. I ended up going on my own. Once I had paid for parking, my ticket and a pie and pint at half time my wallet was £55 lighter. I donít understand why they donít want twice as many people for half the price. If people donít want to go and see a bonus point win against Leicester when are they going to go? So many rugby clubs in the area and they are not tapping in to that market.

Lincs-Exile 24 November, 2019 19:18
Not sure where you get the second string French team they are 4th in the Top 14

Alphacat 24 November, 2019 19:28
It's still the lower European competition. Domestic standing feel matters little in a cup that some teams take seriously and others not.

plzd 24 November, 2019 21:46
No other prem side would have had such tiny support i went with two mates it was embarrassing sadly

Rinkadink 24 November, 2019 21:48
Quote:
Digger for President
I donít understand why they donít want twice as many people for half the price

Because reducing the price by half doesn't mean you'll get double the amount of spectators.

GHA 24 November, 2019 21:55
Quote:
plzd
No other prem side would have had such tiny support i went with two mates it was embarrassing sadly

Why is a Quins fan going to Irish - Bayonne? Could you not get tickets to the Bath game?

Derby Irish Fan 24 November, 2019 22:22
seems strange that lots of excuses can be made but I am happy to travel from Birmingham and derby to watch my team and the apathy in reading is pathetic and cannot wait to move to Brentford no matter what the club do so called fans will always find excuses

Clontarf 24 November, 2019 22:40
ďNo other prem side would have had such tiny support i went with two mates it was embarrassing sadlyď

Gosh, if you get embarrassed by our crowds Iím sure Iíve done things that would make you leave the country or go into hiding.

LI Bohemian 24 November, 2019 23:31
It might have been a small crowd but the cheer was loud when we finally cleared a restart safely without Bayonne scoring, made me smile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/11/2019 23:33 by LI Bohemian.

ExiledChameleon 25 November, 2019 00:25
Most of it is the move, but a large part of it are the prices. For £35 I can go to 3 regular Reading games, plus there will be a good atmosphere there.. The lack of an 18-26 age bracket is ridiculous.

I've streamed every game so far this year, but will only probably come to games in March/April onwards when the weather is nicer and we're still competing.

bigbitty 25 November, 2019 07:34
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Digger for President
I donít understand why they donít want twice as many people for half the price

Because reducing the price by half doesn't mean you'll get double the amount of spectators.

Unfortunately true. I reckon LI are in a type of Law of Diminishing Returns bind. The more their prices stay high, the fewer customers want to buy the product. Of course, one way out is to provide a better product, but in the past few years the product quality has been poor. It is getting better, thankfully, but it will take a bit of time for old and new customers to become enthused again.

The move to Brentford MUST coincide with a return to winning ways, otherwise once the initial curiosity has passed we will be back in the same situation.

paulm1953 25 November, 2019 08:31
Hope I am proved wrong, as I have supported London Irish as a STH for 20 years BUT the move to Brentford will not make a big difference to the size of crowds.

Clontarf 25 November, 2019 09:07
Paulm,

I agree. I supported London Irish with infrequent trips to Sunbury and have been a STH for most of our time in Reading and will remain a supporter after the move. Whether I have a season ticket or come to a half dozen game a season time will tell.

For whatever reason, and reasons are not hard to find - 2 relegations in 3 seasons, very poor quality rugby, the move and all the uncertainty for at least two or three years as the move was signalled and eventually confirmed - we have lost the 5,000 or 6,000 committed supporters we had and the support of lots of Thames Valley rugby supporters who had grown to see London Irish as their club.

After the move the club has to rebuild a fan base for a London professional rugby team in a pretty crowded market.

I don't think it's going to be easy or instant and if there isn't some level of success I don't think it will happen. I hope I'm proved wrong.

SimonG19 25 November, 2019 10:33
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
plzd

Why is a Quins fan going to Irish - Bayonne? Could you not get tickets to the Bath game?

They won't let him in!

LondonerDub 28 November, 2019 13:36
10 season ticket holders to be - waiting for Brentford (some defectors from Quins in there so bonus points!!)

LondonerDub 28 November, 2019 13:43
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
plzd

They won't let him in!

His pink chinos where in the wash haha

Bill the chip 28 November, 2019 15:44
PLZD...... two mates.... thatís brilliant!!!! Of all the tosh youíve posted over time... this is the hardest to believe!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net