Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bristol vs Irish
Discussion started by Alphacat , 01 December, 2019 15:54
Bristol vs Irish
Alphacat 01 December, 2019 15:54
Think we might have just thrown away the game with that red card...

Re: Bristol vs Irish
Heaf 01 December, 2019 15:56
Frustrating or what - go in 7-3 up but now will probably be lucky to get anything ...

HeavyCream 01 December, 2019 15:56
I donít know the details coz Iím not there but Iím absolutely fuming. So happy to see the score line and then this. Agony!!!

cjm. 01 December, 2019 15:56
I'm not sure that the contact point was neck but you can't do that, how many times do they need to be told.

ExiledChameleon 01 December, 2019 15:57
Hoskins needs serious work on his ruck technique. Gave away that stupid penalty when we were about to score vs Sarries and now this. Everything else about his play is great.

Suspect that this has cost us 3 very crucial points.

Florida 01 December, 2019 15:57
Agreed, no way we're containing them or breaking them down with only 14 players on the pitch. Expecting to get an absolute spanking in the second half.

cjm. 01 December, 2019 16:02
Quote:
Florida
Agreed, no way we're containing them or breaking them down with only 14 players on the pitch. Expecting to get an absolute spanking in the second half.

Finger crossed one of theirs has bad ruck technique.

Heaf 01 December, 2019 16:08
Quote:
cjm.
I'm not sure that the contact point was neck but you can't do that, how many times do they need to be told.

Not sure either as it looked like the the other LI player was pushing the defender up and backwards - but agree it was bloody stupid and will most likely cost us any points from this game when we were in a promising position to get something out of it.

Florida 01 December, 2019 16:11
Parton on for Stephenson

cjm. 01 December, 2019 16:14
Naholo needs to do the work and not live on reputation.

Florida 01 December, 2019 16:17
Time to turn it off I think

Florida 01 December, 2019 16:24
Although to be fair, we look super fired up right now, literally fizzing

w4rriorz1980 01 December, 2019 16:33
C'mon Irish.Want you to win!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Sleepless in Seattle 01 December, 2019 16:37
Phew! Uncontested scrums from now on

Alphacat 01 December, 2019 16:42
Naholo!

Florida 01 December, 2019 16:44
Quote:
cjm.

I think he must have heard you!

Alphacat 01 December, 2019 16:48
Wtf was that

cjm. 01 December, 2019 16:49
Quote:
Alphacat
Wtf was that
Terrible attempted tackles.

cjm. 01 December, 2019 16:50
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
cjm.

I think he must have heard you!

He doesn't seem that quick though. Looks like he could lose a few pounds.

Florida 01 December, 2019 16:54
Now down to 14 all!

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 16:56
Tom Parton Try

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 16:57
24-20 to Irish

Heaf 01 December, 2019 16:58
Please blow the whistle now ...

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 16:58
5mins left

Heaf 01 December, 2019 17:00
Must have been lots of stoppages ...

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 17:00
25-24 bristol

Alphacat 01 December, 2019 17:01
:/

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 17:02
27-24

Heaf 01 December, 2019 17:03
FFS ...

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 17:04
27-27 30 seconds left

Heaf 01 December, 2019 17:04
Please don't conceded now - 2 points after 40 mins with 14 would be massive ...

Alphacat 01 December, 2019 17:04
Brilliant second half from the lads. Annoying not to win but I will take that. MOTM entire team imo.

PV 01 December, 2019 17:05
Well done lads

cjm. 01 December, 2019 17:06
A lot of contestants for MOTM but if only they all tackled like Tuisue. My MOTM, his tackling was outstanding as well as his go forward play.

Florida 01 December, 2019 17:07
Massive result, showed so much heart.

Our ball carriers are now a frightening prospect

Badger 66 01 December, 2019 17:08
Oh ! what a game !!!!!!

Come On you Irish

LONDON IRISH ? TO THE BACK BONE !!

Sleepless in Seattle 01 December, 2019 17:08
Oh man - what a performance

HeavyCream 01 December, 2019 17:11
Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeereeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh Baby!!!!! This is absolutely huge!!! We need to be careful or the Eggchasers Podcast might actually start giving us some attention

Heaf 01 December, 2019 17:11
Wow what a result - maybe would have been 5 points if we'd kept 15 on the pitch - very promising signs as Bristol are no mugs, especially at home.

M51 01 December, 2019 17:16
I have just come out from behind the sofa. Absolutely astonishing. Irish never gave up, great outcome. COYI

HeavyCream 01 December, 2019 17:16
No mugs?! I have Bristol to make top 4 this season. That is a colossal performance with a man down too. Iím so negative going into every game at the moment, need to start believing

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 17:16
Great result that shows we are going in the right direction. We are now a competitive team and this hopefully shows that the Sale game was just a blip. Great team spirit. Well done all!

tonyh50 01 December, 2019 17:17
I think weíll be taken seriously by other clubs now, to draw at Bristol with 14 men who are certain to be in the top 4 this season is a significant result - we are definitely back!

Ecksile 01 December, 2019 17:18
................ and 30 points ahead of Saracens

Rinkadink 01 December, 2019 17:29
Well done guys, deserved. Guess top 6 is your target for the season? At least you didn't break our home record (kinda!)... hopefully we'll get some payback later in the season but good luck aside from that.

tatthecraic2 01 December, 2019 17:29
I'm not happy with the result. And if we want to consider ourselves proper premiership contenders and make a home in the prem again none of us should.

We showed great resolve to draw with 14 men. But I'm absolutely not happy yo fall into the "we fought hard" "great heart" but ultimately a loss. (Although this is a draw)

K&K are raising standards and we need to raise our standards as fans.

Cant wait to see what Mafi can do once hes got some game time. But was a bit mediocre today. Coleman was cracking when he came on. But cant help but think that Botha will leave a HUGE hole for us performance wise when he leaves...

Get Jackson to 10 to unlock the defenses we saw today because he was useless at 15 today.

Naholo would have been deemed poor today if he hadn't got the intercept.

Hugely exciting game but I'm unbelievably frustrated

Tom1215 01 December, 2019 17:29
Looking forward to seeing Coleman and mafi starting a game after seeing their ball carrying ability

Heaf 01 December, 2019 17:31
Quote:
Ecksile
................ and 30 points ahead of Saracens

Indeed - and but for that woeful decision by the ref when we played them could be 33 or 36 points ahead ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 18:38 by Heaf.

shimmieandshake 01 December, 2019 17:36
Botha is a monster.

Tuisue is a revelation - he looked okay last year, but never looked like coming on this much. His growth has been outrageous. Dec and Les must be feeding him some kind of nuclear porridge concoction. Very potent.

Having Coleman, Botha, Mafi, Cowan and Tuisue at the same time was so, so good to see. Coleman made some great carries; they're just all so incredibly physical. And injury permitting, throwing Sean O'Brien in that mix would be another step up in class.

It's been a long time since our defensive intensity and quality has been like this. Combination of new players and Brad Davis has been excellent.

Still a long way to go, luck with injuries and form dips to be had, but these are exciting times. There's character and quality in this team that we haven't had for 5/6 years, probably longer. It's nice to feel like we're on the upswing after so long in the doldrums.

Couple of minor concerns; not sure about Jackson at 15, though very difficult to displace Myler given his form, and even though he scored the try, Naholo didn't look right with that intercept. Looking over shoulder, not running freely, almost gassed by Morahan from miles back. Hope it's a temporary fitness issue rather than more long term problem.

Anyway, good day, fair result - well played the lads!

Rinkadink 01 December, 2019 17:42
Quote:
shimmieandshake
lalmost gassed by Morahan
Just a heads up, Morahan is one of the quickest players I've ever seen... to the extent that he gassed Johnny May on the outside last season. Don't think there's anything wrong there and he had a good game, low pickups aside.

cjm. 01 December, 2019 17:44
Quote:
shimmieandshake
and even though he scored the try, Naholo didn't look right with that intercept. Looking over shoulder, not running freely, almost gassed by Morahan from miles back. Hope it's a temporary fitness issue rather than more long term problem.

He looks fat. Not sure whether he was lazy and doing just enough to keep ahead or just didn't have the gas. Certainly not the devastating player you would expect based on pedigree.

Florida 01 December, 2019 17:44
Quote:
HeavyCream
No mugs?! I have Bristol to make top 4 this season. That is a colossal performance with a man down too. Iím so negative going into every game at the moment, need to start believing

Yup, me too.

I think a win against Barf at Christmas and I'll be a believer again.

Florida 01 December, 2019 17:45
Quote:
Rinkadink
Well done guys, deserved. Guess top 6 is your target for the season? At least you didn't break our home record (kinda!)... hopefully we'll get some payback later in the season but good luck aside from that.

11th was my hope going into this season, may have to start thinking about adjusting that upwards

ExiledChameleon 01 December, 2019 17:54
If we had kept 15 on the pitch weíd have got the 5 points and be 3rd in the table after 5 games. Big effort to get 2 points, so close to much more, away at the early season pace setters. Considering that weíre not losing anyone bar Botha in the 2nd half of the season we are right in the mix for a playoff/Champions Cupspot.

dooj106 01 December, 2019 17:55
A pleasing result and huge effort and work rate from all the boys. Always things to work on but would have snapped your hand off if a draw was on offer at the start of the day.

My view on Naholo was that he was coasting with the try and had more in the tank. Needs to work on the high ball but appreciate was being stretched with having to cover extra space due to being down to 14.

Excited to see what Coleman and mafi can bring. Was also very impressed with phipps when he came on... His speed of pass is brilliant

millhillexile 01 December, 2019 17:59
I get why we should be setting our sights higher but after the dross of the last 5 seasons itís nice to see we are on an upward curve while other teams seem to be heading the other way- Tigers/Bath. If we can beat Bath in a few weeks then we can already start looking to the new season at Brentford. I would have taken a draw today before the game. Course I wanted win but I remember last season away at Bedford and we won( I donít know how) and their fans were laughing saying we would be whipping boys. Whoís laughing now. We have come a long way in a short time under the 2Ks letís see where it goes.

Tom1215 01 December, 2019 18:01
Quote:
cjm.
He looks fat. Not sure whether he was lazy and doing just enough to keep ahead or just didn't have the gas. Certainly not the devastating player you would expect based on pedigree.
Looks fat lol!!! Definitely doesnít look fat. Clearly see he was struggling towards the end of the game.
2 games 2 tries and you claim heís relying on his name... yeah alright mate calm down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 18:02 by Tom1215.

ExiledChameleon 01 December, 2019 18:08
If youíre disappointed by Naholo in the past two games nothing will make you satisfied.

beaconsfieldirish 01 December, 2019 18:21
Just left the match. Be proud we have a team that can and will compete. Red card absolutely correct decision but we are here to stay. Itís been a long time since LI have been as good. Onwards and upwards.

beaconsfieldirish 01 December, 2019 18:22
P.S Brizzle fans as great as ever.

cjm. 01 December, 2019 18:23
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
If youíre disappointed by Naholo in the past two games nothing will make you satisfied.

Why? There are many players that I think have really delivered big time and have said so.

cjm. 01 December, 2019 18:25
Quote:
Tom1215
Quote:
cjm.
Looks fat lol!!! Definitely doesnít look fat. Clearly see he was struggling towards the end of the game.
2 games 2 tries and you claim heís relying on his name... yeah alright mate calm down

Of course it's exaggeration but of the new, big players we have signed ( of which he is clearly by far the biggest name ) I am a bit underwhelmed. Thus far at least.

memnoch 01 December, 2019 18:27
Fair play Irish. Best team we have seen at Ashton gate this season. If you hadnít gone down to 14 could have been a different game. If Sheedy had his kicking boots then another 10 points for Bris. Canít wait for the return fixture at the mad stad.

Picton 01 December, 2019 18:35
Just on train after match. Briz fans were excellent and so friendly. Great game and Irish gave their all despite being down to 14 in second half. A few errors led to tries but we never gave up. Defence was awesome in first half and great to see some really strong team spirit

MarchingIn 01 December, 2019 19:28
Big result for Irish to take points with 14 men away against a top 4 side.

Going well!

Shawshank 01 December, 2019 19:31
Come on CJM, cheer up fella.

We are 8pts ahead of Tigers after 5 games.

Who would have thunk it?

cjm. 01 December, 2019 19:42
Quote:
Shawshank
Come on CJM, cheer up fella.
We are 8pts ahead of Tigers after 5 games.

Who would have thunk it?

This being said to me by Shawshank shows me my life has taken a wrong turn.

I think I am in a bit of a mood generally but I actually think the team is playing really well and I am impressed by a lot of the new signings. But I shall refrain on commenting on the contributions of Naholo in the future just in case.

HMRH 01 December, 2019 19:57
I think the biggest fact is that Bris had a crowd of 15000 - thatís what we need to target

tatthecraic2 01 December, 2019 20:41
Quote:
ExiledChameleon

Im not happy with a "good for Irish" winger. he's paid to be a world beating all black who does what Pituatu did against us today! He IS a very good winger. He SHOULD be a WOLD CLASS winger.

raise your expectations.

jimbo800 01 December, 2019 20:50
Nahalo seems to have been heavily strapped for the past two games, any idea why?

SirBurger 01 December, 2019 20:52
Quote:
jimbo800
Nahalo seems to have been heavily strapped for the past two games, any idea why?

Heís been like that for a while, not sure why.

Ajax Treesdown 01 December, 2019 22:43
Naholo 2 tries in 2 games in a league he hasn't played in before.

We've just been promoted and we're currently in 6th position.

Some people need a bit of perspective.

SimonW 02 December, 2019 00:32
Naholo was very stiff when he walked down the tunnel after the game.
Great to get 2pts but you know I was hoping Myler had taken a chance & gone for the corner with that pen...they had removed a 2nd row due to needing a complete front row when Afoa was binned & our forwards looked immense....imagine coming away with a bonus point win....ah well had good day & can echo what a good bunch the Brizzzers are.

Ruckingood 02 December, 2019 00:41
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Naholo 2 tries in 2 games in a league he hasn't played in before.
We've just been promoted and we're currently in 6th position.

Some people need a bit of perspective.

100% agree.. not sure what some of the supporters are expecting - at the lead up to the season it was " were doomed", and now we are 6th on the table and just drew with the top of the table Bears away.. was it a perfect performance.. no.. did we get points when the "support" was predicting a shellacking in the second half.. yes. Good result.. could have been better but I will take two points away every time.

Tom1215 02 December, 2019 08:41
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Quote:
ExiledChameleon

Im not happy with a "good for Irish" winger. he's paid to be a world beating all black who does what Pituatu did against us today! He IS a very good winger. He SHOULD be a WOLD CLASS winger.

raise your expectations.
What is wrong with our fan base... why are you always so grumpy? We are 6th after 5 games of being back in the prem, taken Bristol to a draw while having 14 men why arenít you happy we actually came away with 2 points rather than 0.
2 games 2 tries
60+m interception try but according to our fan base heís slow and fat.
Naholo was putting hits in all over the place as well as work with the winger and full back controlling the back field @#$%& well for having 14 men.

Tom1215 02 December, 2019 08:50
Anyone know what happened to Lovejoy during the 2nd half as I couldnít see from the opposite end of the pitch? Hopefully it was nothing major.

LI Bohemian 02 December, 2019 08:57
Being a winger is all about taking your chances when they come, 2 games 2 tries ticks my box, some wingers are told to roam for work, but when you are new to a team or down to 14 men or have the common sense to keep your positional structure then that is world class.
When Naholo's signing was announced it was a real head turner the last time this happened was when James O'connor signed, I remember when Freddie and to a lesser extent, Albert signed for us, everyone moaned then.

cjm. 02 December, 2019 08:59
Everyone's too literal. I watched the match and commented on what I saw. If you don't think he looked off the pace for a world class winger then fair enough. I thought he did.

As for having perspective I have praised lots of the other players, some like Botha and Tuisue have been outstanding. Perhaps the problem is all the hype around him. If you have your own chant ( albeit to that terrible cliche of a song ) then expectations will be high.

cjm. 02 December, 2019 09:02
I don't think you will find any evidence of me moaning about James O'Connor. Loved watching him play. Imagine if that player was in our team now.

Rinkadink 02 December, 2019 10:09
Quote:
cjm.
Everyone's too literal. I watched the match and commented on what I saw. If you don't think he looked off the pace for a world class winger then fair enough. I thought he did.

In what way did you think he looked off the pace? Just slow? He fumbled two balls that were bouncing but can't think of much else wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 10:10 by Rinkadink.

Saint Stokey 02 December, 2019 10:13
Welcome back to the Prem. Its great to see you fighting again!

Huge thanks for the favour you did for us. Wish you'd had all 15 as you'd probably have got the win.
In Myler we trust... as always!

Also, great to see Stephenson back and the progress that Hobbs Awoyemi has made.

Shawshank 02 December, 2019 10:14
Just seen the highlights and he always had that run to the line under control - he looked back a couple of times - and the winger with ball will always be slower than the winger without the ball.

Ruckingood 02 December, 2019 10:14
Quote:
Tom1215
Anyone know what happened to Lovejoy during the 2nd half as I couldnít see from the opposite end of the pitch? Hopefully it was nothing major.

Snapped thumb with bone sticking out.. not a happy bunny. I fear he will be out for month.. lets Hope Oli does not get a long suspension or Cilliers will be palying 80 for a few weeks

cjm. 02 December, 2019 10:43
Quote:
Shawshank
Just seen the highlights and he always had that run to the line under control - he looked back a couple of times - and the winger with ball will always be slower than the winger without the ball.

Maybe it's just his style. When I look at someone like Ben Loader he really seems to run with purpose, Naholo's style seems more chilled, doing just enough to get to the line. Of course both can achieve the same result.

Scottish Brian 02 December, 2019 11:34
Absolutely brilliant result away to Bristol who have been on fire this season and Irish more than matched them. Bodes well for the rest of the season.

LI Bohemian 02 December, 2019 11:45
I think, anyone that was disappointed with the result on Sunday, can look at what happened to Sale when they went down a player, in very similar circumstances.

x_ile 02 December, 2019 12:04
80 odd posts here on the Bristol game and I've not spotted a single word of criticism for Mr Barnes.

This has to be close to a first. (Sm152) He must have had an absolute cracker of a game. (Sm160)

Margin_Walker 02 December, 2019 12:24
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Shawshank

Maybe it's just his style. When I look at someone like Ben Loader he really seems to run with purpose, Naholo's style seems more chilled, doing just enough to get to the line. Of course both can achieve the same result.

To be fair, Naholo isn't particularly quick for a wing. The likes of Loader, OHC and Parton will all be quicker. What you get with Naholo is power, decent defence, skill and work rate. Sure he made a couple of errors with the two fumbles, but he redeemed himself with the intercept, as it took a lot of catching and he'd have been in the bin if he hadn't held on. I think he'll score plenty for us this season.

Loader being out does present a bit of an issue, as I'd always rather have one very quick winger on the pitch at one time. Not sure you get that with Rona and Naholo.

Tom1215 02 December, 2019 12:58
With Ollie Hoskins probably being banned, lovejoy out with injury. Anyone know what side Goodrick-Clarke plays? As I canít remember.

Lazyboy346 02 December, 2019 13:23
Have a feeling WGC can play both sides but was used at loosehead by Richmond last season.

I'd expect the club to be looking for injury cover for Lovejoy as we should expect Hoskins to be banned and Kepu isn't expected for a while. We really need someone decent otherwise Cilliers might have to pull 80 minute games for a key month where a bad run of games might see us effectively out of Europe and back in the bottom four in the Prem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 15:14 by Lazyboy346.

Margin_Walker 02 December, 2019 13:53
Best case scenario would be us only missing Hoskins for the Bath league game (6 week ban, reduced to 3 for the usual guilty plea etc)

WGC has played LH and TH for Richmond. They may wait to check how long the ban is before deciding on an injury replacement for Lovejoy. and take the risk if it's just three weeks.

Shawshank 02 December, 2019 16:41
Unless WGC is injured, I'm surprised he hasn't been given a bit more game-time.

He was in the Championship dream team last season and didn't take a step backwards whenever he played against us.

Blarney 02 December, 2019 20:30
Having seen the highlights, I dont see what the fuss is about Naholo's intercept. He never looked like getting caught - and he knew it. He kept a decent gap from the chaser the whole way. And being caught by Morahan isn't that much of a black mark...he's quick even for a winger.

Smudge21 02 December, 2019 22:19
Hard to tell as I've only watched highlights on a small phone screen but did hoskins actually make contact with vui's head, looked more like shoulder to me but the small screen and green tinted glasses certainly dont help!

bigbitty 03 December, 2019 07:10
It was his neck where contact was made, and that is enough for the red card.

Shawshank 03 December, 2019 09:10
Ollie was far more 'clumsy' rather than any intent.

Taking account of the 40 mins when he was off the pitch, I would hope a 2 match ban which would enable him to return v Bath.

Tom1215 03 December, 2019 09:40
He fully deserved the red card. Going in with his shoulder and no attempt to wrap and clear.
Heís done a few things now which is start to cost us at vital points.
Leicester- neck roll when we were on the try line.
Saracens - penalty while we were deep in their half pushing for another try.
And now that stupid red card which cost us the game.
Needs to stop playing championship rules as he wonít get away with it in the premiership. Especially with Kepu coming in soon he needs start doing what he does best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 09:41 by Tom1215.

Florida 03 December, 2019 10:12
Quote:
Shawshank
Ollie was far more 'clumsy' rather than any intent.
Taking account of the 40 mins when he was off the pitch, I would hope a 2 match ban which would enable him to return v Bath.

Agree there was no intent, but I wouldn't label it as clumsy, more idiotic. These are professional players, he knows he can't do that and he knows he just needs to bring his arm up.

bigbitty 03 December, 2019 13:27
It's strange that nobody has mentioned the uncontested scrums, for they must surely have been to our advantage - in fact nullifying Bristol's numerical advantage.

I thought we were quite clever in the second half to keep the ball more in hand, and forego our usual kicking game. We seem to becoming much more tactically aware.

cjm. 03 December, 2019 15:37
Quote:
bigbitty
It's strange that nobody has mentioned the uncontested scrums, for they must surely have been to our advantage - in fact nullifying Bristol's numerical advantage.

On the Bristol board they do. IMV they still had the extra man so boohoo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net