Latest news:

Teams Up
Discussion started by paulm1953 , 20 December, 2019 12:11
Teams Up
paulm1953 20 December, 2019 12:11
London Irish Team:

15. Paddy Jackson, 14. Curtis Rona, 13. Tom Stephenson, 12. Terrence Hepetema, 11. Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10. Stephen Myler, 9. Ben Meehan, 1. Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 2. Saia Fainga’a 3. Olle Hoskins, 4. Ruan Botha, 5. Adam Coleman, 6. Steve Mafi, 7. Blair Cowan ©; 8. Albert Tuisue

Replacements: 16. Motu Matu’u, 17. Allan Dell, 18, Lovejoy Chawatama, 19. Franco van der Merwe, 20. Matt Rogerson, 21. Nick Phipps, 22. Tom Fowlie, 23. James Stokes

Looks like a really strong team.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Re: Teams Up
RodB 20 December, 2019 12:49
Great looking side... no Naholo though... rested, rotated or still recovering from his intercept try run-in? ☹

simo112 20 December, 2019 12:51
In NZ for the birth of his child still I assume

RodB 20 December, 2019 12:53
Oh Yes, had forgotten that. Sorry.

Strong Bath side too

[www.bathrugby.com]

ExiledChameleon 20 December, 2019 13:07
What's happened to Vetokani?

SixNineOne 20 December, 2019 16:14
Only 5 former London Irish players in the Bath squad...

15. Tom Homer
14. Semesa Rokoduguni
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Anthony Watson
10. Rhys Priestland (C)
9. Will Chudley
1. Beno Obano
2. Tom Dunn
3. Will Stuart
4. Josh McNally
5. Elliott Stooke
6. Tom Ellis
7. Sam Underhill
8. Josh Bayliss

Replacements

16. Jack Walker, 17. Lewis Boyce, 18. Christian Judge, 19. Matt Garvey, 20. Rhys Davies, 21. Chris Cook, 22. Freddie Burns, 23. Aled Brew

Lazyboy346 20 December, 2019 17:09
Decent squad, think we have a stronger pack and backs are probably about even depending on how fit Watson is. Think it could be a tight first half and hopeful we can pull away in the second, even if we have to grind it through the forwards.

Stokes was decent for Coventry last season so could be a very good signing, although would be good to know if he is injury cover for someone or an additional signing under the cap.

Florida 21 December, 2019 13:32
Really hoping our scrum can show the same power as was on display against Toulon, winning a few scrum penalties will be a fantastic Christmas present

LI Bohemian 21 December, 2019 14:54
Got a bad feeling about this one, this is Bath's and our pivotal game of the season, yes I know that it is early in the season but with the back line they have, they should play a more expansive game and our weakest area is the back three, if they play their attritional style that they seem to play more often, then we could get something out of the game. The half backs are pretty evenly matched I think.

Exile_Dave 21 December, 2019 15:50
Bath haven’t played that well this season, I think we can nick this one.

I'd rather be a Paddy than a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Steelman 21 December, 2019 16:06
I like to think that K & K will be managing this fixture in a more experienced fashion, Bath are bow to the boney ones in the fat boys battle, and i,m looking , forward to Smyler setting a new club scoring record.,and our wingers not getting a pass all game. Big win for us.

Alphacat 21 December, 2019 17:05
Possible range in positions from 3rd place (if we smash Bath) all the way down to 9th.

ExiledChameleon 21 December, 2019 18:03
With the black hole of Priestland and Roberts at 10/12 they'll thankfully not use their very dangerous back four much.

From what I've seen of them they're very forwards dominance orientated. However we're also very strong in that department, and I'd say that overall we have the edge in 5 of the h2hs, them in 2, with one draw.

Realistically if we want to be in with a good chance of top 6 (and by extension, top 4 given how close the top are; if we win tomorrow the top 7 will be split by 5 points) we need to be winning games like Bath at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/12/2019 18:04 by ExiledChameleon.

Lazyboy346 22 December, 2019 14:53
Botha not playing. Franco starts, George Nott on the bench. Big loss given the conditions - occasional rain and a roughed up pitch.

tatthecraic2 22 December, 2019 15:23
Being absolutely killed by Full back positioning. Tough on Stokes probably not his fault as hes new... but they've seen it and we're being killed here

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 15:27
terrible performances worst of the season.
We are making Tom homer look good that’s how bad it is

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 15:29
Jesus who’s that full back we’ve just signed

tatthecraic2 22 December, 2019 15:30
Stokes just isn't ready... isn't on the ball. Really unfair on him. But he is being very very poor. 2 tries for Bath directly from his actions. So frustrated warxhingvus today. We look worse than a London Welsh a few yes ago. Embarrassing.

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 15:33
Wow!!! This is @#$%& shocking 31 points on 29 minutes

cjm. 22 December, 2019 15:33
Stodgy stuff. Bad old days bad.

tatthecraic2 22 December, 2019 15:36
I wont be watching the second half at this point.

I'm sorry to say. Why have we paid for Mafi. Hes been incredibly ineffectual since hea joined. I'd like to see his metres stats. Because I doubt hes made any

Pixham 22 December, 2019 15:38
That’s the telly off before half time. Shocking. Glad I didn’t spend 3 hours in the car this weekend.

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 15:43
Is it more or has the play already got quicker with Phipps being on for 5 minutes?
Meehan is so slow and frustrating at the break down

NMB 22 December, 2019 15:46
I complain that we are never in TV but when we are this is what's served up. A neutral will be turning off by now as well. The biggest attendance at the ground as well and this is what they get

How can we ever hope to grow a following when our best opportunities to do so are wasted like this. If we just finish now we can end with a better points difference and more players standing

ExiledChameleon 22 December, 2019 15:48
Utterly pathetic. No point in the players even going out for the second half unless they wake up. Injuries haven’t helped.

I wouldn’t mind it if the players just weren’t good enough to compete with Bath, but they’re more than good enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2019 15:49 by ExiledChameleon.

AlecW 22 December, 2019 15:50
Well, that went well...!

cjm. 22 December, 2019 15:51
Did we really have no better option for fullback?

NMB 22 December, 2019 15:52
I've now calmed down, I think a bonus point is definitely up for grabs here, come on you Irish!!!

BaltiBoy 22 December, 2019 15:54
Where's the line speed and workrate gone. So passive in defence Bath have all the time in the world to pick us off.

Seriously lacking any midfield creativity too. We're just playing one out rugby from the ruck with a single ball carrier and getting smashed.

This could end up a cricket score!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2019 15:56 by BaltiBoy.

Despriarno 22 December, 2019 15:56
Quote:
NMB
I've now calmed down, I think a bonus point is definitely up for grabs here, come on you Irish!!!

I suspect too many egg nogs

We will be lucky to score again

NMB 22 December, 2019 15:58
It was going to be beer during the game and whisky after but after ten minutes I decided to switch it around...

jimbo800 22 December, 2019 15:59
Started with a poor refs call of advantage over when we were behind the line of where the knock on took place, all down hill from there. New guy has cost us two tries which isn’t a great start. Ref is giving warnings to Bath players without pinging then whereas we’re getting penalised immediately. All this is compounded by how poor we’ve been. Myler isn’t playing like a leading ten with loads of experience.
Injuries will now cost us in the next few games which is a bigger problem

BaltiBoy 22 December, 2019 16:01
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
I wouldn’t mind it if the players just weren’t good enough to compete with Bath, but they’re more than good enough.

I totally agree. When we had a garbage team we all knew a thrashing could be on the cards but this is a decent XV we've sent out. So frustrating!

Cheers & Beers
BB

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 16:09
Get DHA off!!! He’s been absolutely shocking this whole game.

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 16:17
That’s not the way I wanted him to go off. Hopefully he’s all good.

AlecW 22 December, 2019 16:18
That has well and truly put the tin lid on it.

Cill Dara 22 December, 2019 16:18
FFS

Prisco stirpe Hibernico

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 16:18
When did myler sign for bath?

x_ile 22 December, 2019 16:19
Quote:
Tom1215
Get DHA off!!! He’s been absolutely shocking this whole game.

Only watched intermittently but every time I looked, LI seemed to be replacing a player.

Are there enough players on the bench for more replacements?

cjm. 22 December, 2019 16:20
Shocking. Utterly shocking.

Despriarno 22 December, 2019 16:23
I’m looking forward to when London Irish move to London...

cjm. 22 December, 2019 16:24
Comedy Rugby returns to the MadStad.

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 16:28
The 3 front row replacements have shown so much more fight. Matuu always gives so much more around the field than the other hookers.

Tom1215 22 December, 2019 16:37
Why haven’t we played more on the Karl Dickson no offside rule

cjm. 22 December, 2019 16:49
Even I have switched it off and I have got nothing better to do.

GrahamAlba 22 December, 2019 17:09
“Looks like a really strong team “!!!!!!

You need to get some new reading glasses. That was shocking.

Never mind hurtful seeing so much of it caused by our former players. Though Folau will assure us they have places waiting for them in hell. For betrayal, of course, not homosexuality.

Smudge21 22 December, 2019 17:16
The most embarrassing first half of rugby I have ever watched. Very worrying injury list racked up ahead of a crucial game against worcester too. I Take nothing away from bath but we really did gift them pretty much all of their tries.

On a brighter note however, Coleman is a very good player

Florida 22 December, 2019 17:18
Been out all day, had it recorded managed to get 20 mins in and then gave up, that was woeful, absolutely woeful.

cjm. 22 December, 2019 17:31
What is it with London Irish that you can change the whole team, yet we still end up with performances like this.

Are any other teams cut from the same cloth. Most have much more consistency IMO ( either good or bad ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2019 17:44 by cjm..

PV 22 December, 2019 17:41
Having Botha out then losing half the back line was bad enough. Stokes also had a debut to forget.

M51 22 December, 2019 18:23
A few gave their all but the team performance was disjointed and shambolic. The ref didn't help but I think somebody in management should apologise for that performance.

Foggy-Balla 22 December, 2019 18:27
Quote:
cjm.
Did we really have no better option for fullback?

I forgot my boots & gumshield.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Foggy-Balla 22 December, 2019 18:28
Quote:
cjm.
Comedy Rugby returns to the MadStad.

I said to Griff I hadn’t realised we were at the panto. He reminded me panto is supposed to be funny...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

HMRH 22 December, 2019 18:29
Worst fears realised - we have done well against the under strength sides although a point at Bristol was a great result. Smashed by both Sale and Bath.

Going to be tight - Worcester away is, yet again, a big game.

Albert MOTM for us

norg2072 22 December, 2019 18:47
Couldn't make the game, but had to give up watching the recording at half time WHAT an awful performance, no better than a mediocre championship side and I've just bought my Brentford ST! How can we go from so good to so bad, so quickly, are the injured players so important - the report will more than likely say there were positives to take from the game, rather than saying exactly how it was!

Bath are not a top 6 side this season, and we came off 2nd best.

PV 22 December, 2019 18:55
Their bonus pt try, homer miles off side in the chase (in spite of terrible defending)

cjm. 22 December, 2019 18:57
Quote:
HMRH
Worst fears realised - we have done well against the under strength sides although a point at Bristol was a great result. Smashed by both Sale and Bath.
Going to be tight - Worcester away is, yet again, a big game.

Albert MOTM for us

Thought stevenson was one of the brighter lights in a very dim field.

cjm. 22 December, 2019 18:59
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Decent squad, think we have a stronger pack and backs are probably about even depending on how fit Watson is. Think it could be a tight first half and hopeful we can pull away in the second, even if we have to grind it through the forwards.
Stokes was decent for Coventry last season so could be a very good signing, although would be good to know if he is injury cover for someone or an additional signing under the cap.

Sorry, bit mean, but the first para.

In fairness our front row subs really stabilised things for a pack that was being beaten senseless.

John H 22 December, 2019 19:13
Where do Bath keep getting them from, Watson, Homer, Joseph, Garvey? We could do with some of them.

Smudge21 22 December, 2019 19:56
Worse thing for me is with the injuries we've got we are looking at a pretty poor backline next week in what is a huge game

HMRH 22 December, 2019 20:18
Hopefully we’ll get a few players back - Ruan being the main one. Hopefully today just a bad day

Florida 22 December, 2019 20:41
Quote:
HMRH
Hopefully we’ll get a few players back - Ruan being the main one. Hopefully today just a bad day

Today was a bad day, Sale was a bad day. A third of our premiership games have been bad days.

NickK 22 December, 2019 21:03
Today was definitely a game even for the great green eyed optimists to struggle to be able to take more than a few positives from, especially when we knew how big a deal it would be to get our next Premiership win and possibly finishing 2019 in the Top 5. We looked clueless on how to overcome the physicality of Bath. I have to congratulate the Bath supporters where I was sat for being fairly magnanimous in victory whilst we imploded. I am unsure we had started with a game plan to cope with Bath, and as for the early try gifts, handling errors, kicking decisions and yellow card actions, I was left in disbelief by what was going on, as were both Bath and LI supporters near me, at points hearing the Benny Hill theme in my head, whilst chaos ensued on the field. We know we can play a lot better as a unit, let's hope that was the worst, and we leave it in the last decade. I also don't think we can hang a great proportion of this loss on injuries, but we did finish the day with more injuries than we started so agree that will cause us issues on our next outing. Any injury updates from today?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2019 21:57 by NickK.

M51 22 December, 2019 21:58
As a reading recruit (2002) , I am seriously thinking about not renewing my season ticket after that performance against Bath. It was totally inept without any lack of leadership . We stemmed the tide in the 2nd half, but we still were unable to make a come back. We played worse than the relegation years. I am hoping there will be some statement from the club they are addressing a serious team issue. I have no doubt that the management team will be extremely positive . But unless Irish start winning the next few games then support will start drifting away. I will keep supporting a great club but I need some positive statements from LIRFC that they understand the supporter situation that we will go to London to support a successful club. Great recruitment but little result so far.
Good luck Irish and I hope we do well against Exeter.

Exile_Dave 22 December, 2019 22:27
Quote:
M51
As a reading recruit (2002) , I am seriously thinking about not renewing my season ticket after that performance against Bath. It was totally inept without any lack of leadership . We stemmed the tide in the 2nd half, but we still were unable to make a come back. We played worse than the relegation years. I am hoping there will be some statement from the club they are addressing a serious team issue. I have no doubt that the management team will be extremely positive . But unless Irish start winning the next few games then support will start drifting away. I will keep supporting a great club but I need some positive statements from LIRFC that they understand the supporter situation that we will go to London to support a successful club. Great recruitment but little result so far.
Good luck Irish and I hope we do well against Exeter.

We have Worcester next then Chiefs .

Rinkadink 23 December, 2019 00:15
That was poor, you looked a totally different side to the one we played against at Ashton Gate not too long ago!

If it's any consolation we lost 52 - 7 to Worcester last year and did fine on the table, just missing out top 6 by only a few points. I think we are their cup final though but I'm sure Barf really wanted that one. Hope the injuries aren't too bad for you, perhaps your squad depth may be an issue?

Best of luck aside from when we pay you a visit.

Kinalp 23 December, 2019 08:16
I think one of the most frustrating things watching yesterday - yes the first half was bad, but barf had 4 starting ex London Irish players in the starting 15 with another of the bench and was trying to figure out how they wanted it more more than us. Frustrating to say the least and I hope they have the same passion and heart that was lacking against barf against Worcester.

RodB 23 December, 2019 10:34
Have to assume both Parton and Freddie injured if we needed to throw Stokes in at the deep end three days after he arrived. Not surprised he struggled a bit.

turniphead 23 December, 2019 14:58
Quote:
RodB
Have to assume both Parton and Freddie injured if we needed to throw Stokes in at the deep end three days after he arrived. Not surprised he struggled a bit.

Freddie starts tonight for the A Team. Surely, even with the weather and pitch conditions he would have been a better bet than a guy (through no fault of his own) thrown in at the deep end having just been plucked from the Championship. Would love some insight on the decision making process.

https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pbF7MepzeHRsTMq2BN6eLFopHfqOKjzqsLaGXCmPzr_xRAd47IL-adt8h_g7atZgWlAop9nh6QPeg7MRK8evkgg/Craic%20Signature.jpg?psid=1

RodB 23 December, 2019 15:40
I'm equally surprised that Freddie didn't get the shirt ahead of Stokes, given he's available tonight 😕😕

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net