Latest news:

Poor performance versus Bath
Discussion started by paulm1953 , 23 December, 2019 08:38
Poor performance versus Bath
paulm1953 23 December, 2019 08:38
Really disappointed with yesterday's game. Six tries to one and two were nicely gifted wrapped. Good performance from Adam Coleman. Can someone explain why the Bath player wasn't red carded for the very obvious spear tackle (hopefully he will be cited)? Also when Albert picked up the ball wasn't that in open play and therefore no offence and hence no penalty try and no yellow card.

Re: Poor performance versus Bath
Blarney 23 December, 2019 09:09
Agreed that Coleman was our best player by a mile (though Blair put in his usual 100%).

The pass that Tuisue intercepted was directly from the scrum half from a breakdown - therefore the offside line was in effect.

Very disappointing all round - they stopped our ball carriers and we seemed to have nothing else. After the first couple of phases, our attack completely lost shape. Thought that Meehan was oddly stilted, probably should have put Phipps on sooner.

PV 23 December, 2019 09:35
Phipps looks the best 9 we have. We didnít front up yesterday and the defending of the left side of the pitch in the first half was worse than schoolboy.

Ref had a shocker too mind

SirBurger 23 December, 2019 09:58
Don't get the calls for Phipps ahead of Meehan. Meehan didn't have his best game, but is a super box-kicker, normally very quick with his passing and offers a decent running threat. Phipps has been fine, but not done enough yet to prize the shirt away from Meehan in my opinion.

Shawshank 23 December, 2019 10:07
Bewildering.

Just like the limp performance at home v Sale, we offered zilch in attack and we were generally inept in defence.

Let's hope it was just one of those occasionally awful performance you're going to get from a young and developing team.

Worried however about our growing injury list...

Life long exile 23 December, 2019 10:32
Very strange performance.

Excluding the Sale home game, the one thing that has been consistent this season is physicality and work rate. But yesterday the boys seemed so tired from the first minute. Worst 40 mins Iíve seen for a long time, thank god we turned up for the second half (still shocking though!)

Phipps made a huge difference when he came on, Meehan was unusually off the pace (like most of the team). However I do think Phipps needs shot at starting, he doesnít 70 Aussie caps for no reason!

We really missed Botha in the pack and we had no threats from the back line. Naholo and Loader are needed back ASAP! The balance is the back line is all wrong with out them.

A huge response is needed now next week for Wuss away, a must win I think. If we get the W at Wuss then the pressure is off when Chiefs come to the Madstad.

#COYI

CharlieG 23 December, 2019 10:40
Quote:
paulm1953
Can someone explain why the Bath player wasn't red carded for the very obvious spear tackle (hopefully he will be cited)?

Listening on RefLink, there was a long 3-way conversation - Ref, AR & TMO. Ref seemed to favour yellow right from the beginning of the conversation. Given the nature of the tackle, I would hope for a citing. On the other hand , a straight red would have made the point, but I don't think it would have changed the result.

Margin_Walker 23 December, 2019 10:52
Watching on TV, yellow was the right decision for me. Was us having a shocker, rather than the ref. Can't think of much Jackson got wrong imo. Bath perhaps got away with pushing the offside line in midfield, but that's about it.

Meehan was fine and it's not really his fault no one was getting over the gainline. Phipps is a cracking player (and sure he'll get a run starting at some point) but the two comical errors were his.

Backline injuries are a massive issue going into the Worcester game. We're not the same when we don offer a threat out wide. I'd also start Dell and Chawatama next week to try and attack their scrum. Dannybin particular has been great in the loose, but he's not the strongest scrummaging LH we've ever had.

Bazzo 23 December, 2019 11:38
No way of buttering that up, very poor. Did not enjoy anything about that performance, was waiting for some masterpiece of tactical play that everyone thinks K&K bring to the party, but still waiting.
Players need to be up for games like this and that lot were not. Yes we picked up injuries, but I thought we had a strong starting line up and from the first whistle we were on the back foot. Very disappointed.

BaltiBoy 23 December, 2019 12:14
We lacked any line speed, intensity or physicality and we're just too soft for want of a better word.

Disagree with some comments that Phipps made a huge difference, he didn't imo, and as for the ref having a shocker that really is grasping at straws.

Our problem was that right from the first whistle Bath wanted it more, were better in attack and more solid in defence.

Cheers & Beers
BB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2019 12:17 by BaltiBoy.

Ecksile 23 December, 2019 13:09
Just found it wholly disappointing from all angles.

Golden opportunity to show to the masses, with tv there also, that this was a new Irish team, come and enjoy the rugby, sign up now for season tickets when we move.

But................ completely the opposite, voices around me questioning why they would want to spend money on that kind of display.

A huge "own goal"

SimonG19 23 December, 2019 13:36
Quote:
paulm1953
Really disappointed with yesterday's game. Six tries to one and two were nicely gifted wrapped. Good performance from Adam Coleman. Can someone explain why the Bath player wasn't red carded for the very obvious spear tackle (hopefully he will be cited)? Also when Albert picked up the ball wasn't that in open play and therefore no offence and hence no penalty try and no yellow card.

I think the reason why there wasn't a red card was because although the player was lifted he was placed back on the ground and not dropped.

P G Tips 23 December, 2019 15:09
Quote:
Margin_Walker
. Can't think of much Jackson got wrong imo. Bath perhaps got away with pushing the offside line in midfield, but that's about it.

Bath fan here. He (his name is Dickson by the way) reffed Bath at the Rec v Saracens recently. He was very loose on offside then- midfield as much as 5 yards over the line. We obviously decided to play to that.

PG

Margin_Walker 23 December, 2019 15:53
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
Margin_Walker
. Can't think of much Jackson got wrong imo. Bath perhaps got away with pushing the offside line in midfield, but that's about it.

Bath fan here. He (his name is Dickson by the way) reffed Bath at the Rec v Saracens recently. He was very loose on offside then- midfield as much as 5 yards over the line. We obviously decided to play to that.

PG

Ha, clearly had the other recent player to ref convert in mind subconsciously when I wrote that.

irishboy_1995 23 December, 2019 16:32
Who are the back 3 options for Saturday then?

x_ile 23 December, 2019 17:05
Quote:
irishboy_1995

Judging by the observations re the Bath game, one is inclined to question who the options might be for the matchday 23 let alone the back 3?

irishboy_1995 23 December, 2019 17:13
Quote:
x_ile
Quote:
irishboy_1995

Judging by the observations re the Bath game, one is inclined to question who the options might be for the matchday 23 let alone the back 3?

Jackson was able to walk so maybe just a slight sprain and a couple of days rest will do, Rona and hopefully O.H.C is fine I'm surprised Freddie is playing tonight

Smudge21 23 December, 2019 18:48
Botha has now left for japan so he won't be available. Was a genuine pleasure to watch him play, such a shame we have to wait till next year to see him and coleman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net