Latest news:

Team v worcs
Discussion started by Florida , 27 December, 2019 12:01
Team v worcs
Florida 27 December, 2019 12:01
[www.london-irish.com]

Front row looks stronger, these guys smashed the Toulon scrum in the second half and held up well against Barf.

Belgium gets chucked in at the deep end, but at least it means Rona moves back to the centres. Stokes makes the bench again, hopefully he comes on later in the game this time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2019 12:06 by Florida.

Re: Team v worcs
PV 27 December, 2019 12:08
15 Alivereti Veitokani, 14 Belgium Tuatagaloa, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Tom Stephenson, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Stephen Myler, 9 Nick Phipps, 1 Allan Dell, 2 Motu Matu’u, 3 Lovejoy Chawatama, 4 Franco van der Merwe ©, 5 Adam Coleman, 6 Matt Rogerson, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Albert Tuisue

Replacements:

16 Saia Fainga’a, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 George Nott, 20 Steve Mafi, 21 Ben Meehan, 22 Bryce Campbell, 23 James Stokes

Decent side, glad we have the depth

LiKR43 27 December, 2019 12:49
If any one happens to have a spare ticket , we are looking for one and the ground is a sell out. thanks

Florida 27 December, 2019 13:10
4 countries represented at 7s by our starting back 3

x_ile 27 December, 2019 13:38
Quote:
Florida

On the face of it that seems a damn good trick - 3 players managing to represent 4 countries ??? (Sm160)

tatthecraic2 27 December, 2019 13:47
Quote:
Florida
https://www.london-irish.com/news/irish-name-squad-for-trip-to-worcester/bp2439/
Front row looks stronger, these guys smashed the Toulon scrum in the second half and held up well against Barf.

Belgium gets chucked in at the deep end, but at least it means Rona moves back to the centres. Stokes makes the bench again, hopefully he comes on later in the game this time.

I was quite vocal about Stokes last week. Completely not his fault being chucked in so deep. But he had a real legitimate nightmare against bath. I really hope for us and him he can come good and build his confidence.

Glad to see Mafi dropped. Hes been incredibly ineffectual. I'm really looking forward to Rodgerson carrying for us. Feel like Mafi has been picked because we're paying him so much. Not because hes earned it yet.

irishboy_1995 27 December, 2019 15:28
Pretty strong team all things considered good to see Dell, Matu'u and Chawatama given a chance and hopefully Coleman can put in another good performance my only worry is the back 3, not much rugby played between them and I've no idea how good the new guy actually is but here's hoping the boys do the business 👊

Florida 27 December, 2019 16:11
Quote:
x_ile
Quote:
Florida

On the face of it that seems a damn good trick - 3 players managing to represent 4 countries ??? (Sm160)

That's the olympic loophole for you. Still don't really agree with it myself, but in Belgium's case going fro NZ to Samoa I think is an acceptable move (wouldn't like to see it the other way though)

tatthecraic2 28 December, 2019 09:52
Anyone know of a dodgy stream you can watch this on?

bigbitty 28 December, 2019 12:15
Try this:

[cricfree.sc]

bisach 28 December, 2019 14:54

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:08
Defence problems haven't been fixed yet then.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:09
Thank god for the video ref.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:10
V reliable stream: [www.viprow.net]

OHC just caused a Worcester player to knock the ball on over the line, good stuff.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:14
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
V reliable stream: [www.viprow.net]
OHC just caused a Worcester player to knock the ball on over the line, good stuff.

Think I'm off that feed. They have been pretty much perfect for the last year or so. Lots of choice too!!

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:18
We're looking a lot better over the past 8 minutes. Bit clueless out wide occasionally, Rogerson going well at 6.

Just got a slightly fortunate pen. 0-3 up at 15'.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:22
Vetokani with a little run from deep in the 22, but then slices the clearance kick straight to a Worcs player 30 metres away from our line.

A few phases later 7-3, Weir try, he's been impressive.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:22
A couple of years ago people on the guardian laughed when I commented that Duncan Weir could still be good for Scotland. Well they're not laughing now. Try Weir.

Poor defence again ( although "not tackled" is really starting to bug me ).

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:32
Cowan seriously p**sed off about something. 13-3 to Worcester, our attack just isn't really linking up.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:32
13 - 3 - clearly not lost yet, but we need to be better than we are right now.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:34
and that passage was much better and we got a penalty at the end

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:36
Attack starting to click into gear.

Coleman, Matu, Phipps impressive.

Dell an absolute liability. Cheapshot on Worcester player after the whistle when we had a Pen right in the middle of the pitch in Worcs 22. 3rd or 4th penalty he's given away. We'd be better off playing with 14. I might get my wish soon.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:36
Which is then blown by Dell smashing into a player after the whistle and instead of a shot of goal we walk away with a yellow card. Absolutely stupid play.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:40
Bad to worse!!

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:41
Matu just smashed Weir, likely a red card. Down to 13. Implosion going on.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:41
And its a red. Ludicrous, what is wrong with this bloody team?

Down to 13 for about 7 minutes and 14 for 47 minutes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2019 15:42 by Florida.

tatthecraic2 28 December, 2019 15:42
Rugby has become a soft sport now. It was shoulder to shoulder and a good hit.

@#$%& this. I've switched off

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:43
Quote:
tatthecraic2

Nah, Matu's head nailed Weir's chin.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:43
Quote:
tatthecraic2

Looked like head to chin to me, seemed like a fair red.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:45
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
tatthecraic2

Nah, Matu's head nailed Weir's chin.

Seemed to be shoulder to shoulder and head to head. Shoulder marginally first. Red these days, they are taking out the big hit from the game.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:46
Cowan been immense so far. 4ish turnovers/diving on loose balls just from him.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 15:48
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Cowan been immense so far. 4ish turnovers/diving on loose balls just from him.
Rogerson, Coleman and OHC too. But no discipline or organisation.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:49
Sadly Cowan can't do it all by himself.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 15:51
Yep I agree with both of you. Weirdly I don't think that this game is done yet, Worcester really aren't amazing, but will need one hell of a half time bollocking.

These two cards mean that we are now clearly top of the table in both the yellow card stakes and the red card stakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2019 15:52 by ExiledChameleon.

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:54
Yep, agreed, the game isn't done yet and if we can stop the Briz attack with 14 and score a couple ourselves there's no reason why we can't do the same against Worcs. We've already keept them out when we're down to 13, just need to keep it up when we're back to 14.

And please, no more cards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2019 15:55 by Florida.

orsoncart 28 December, 2019 15:54
Sorry, but ill discipline has been a major problem for years. Unless it is sorted, this lot will be playing championship rugby at Brentford

Florida 28 December, 2019 15:58
Half time, 13 - 3. Managed to see out the 13 man period without conceeding, now back to 14 for the remainder of the game.

Lazyboy346 28 December, 2019 16:11
Somehow still in this game despite Dell and Matu being stupid. We've only had two real attacks into their half and both ended with penalties to us (before Dell got it reversed).

Coleman been a menace to them, Cowan everywhere too. Shame Rogerson has gone off I thought he was as good as Albert who could do with a rest before we play Exeter as he doesn't seem as explosive the last few games.

An LBP would be handy given other results around the league.

Florida 28 December, 2019 16:15
And we're back underway, with a penalty slotted to bring it to 13 - 6

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 16:19
The Worcester players aren't quick learners, you'd have thought that they'd have stopped running at Albert by now.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 16:22
Mr Worldwide looks to be a good (not so) little pickup.

willienelson 28 December, 2019 16:27
clowns

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 16:31
We're disrupting everything, making it very frustrating for Worcester, we're in with more than a small chance here. Still 13-6.

Now 20-6. Is tough to see a way back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2019 16:35 by ExiledChameleon.

Florida 28 December, 2019 16:32
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Mr Worldwide looks to be a good (not so) little pickup.

Took me a minute to realise who you meant, but yes, he's looking good. He's made a couple of nice little runs and put in a couple of excellently controlled tackles

cjm. 28 December, 2019 16:36
Ah well....

Florida 28 December, 2019 16:36
Box kick to worcs, they spin it wide and score under the sticks.

20 - 6

We really need the next score and we need it to be a 7 pointer

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 16:38
It's extremely hard to win a game if you only have 3 multi-phase attacks in their half.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 16:41
Just what we need, a scrum half slowing it down to snail's pace. And then charged down.

Getting fed up with the game not just LI these days.

Smudge21 28 December, 2019 16:46
Only just back from work to check the scores... were the cards deserved?

cjm. 28 December, 2019 16:46
Yes.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 16:47
Exceptional two phases from us. Worcester defence being cut to shreds, signs of a late on implosion from Worcester like last game.

Florida 28 December, 2019 16:47
Irish beginning to sparkle

Florida 28 December, 2019 16:48
Down to 14 all for 10 minutes

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 16:49
Yellow card to Pennell. Both sides down to 14. Irish pen on Worcs 5m. We could be in with a chance of 1 to 4 somethings from this.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 16:49
Should have been penalty try.

Florida 28 December, 2019 16:55
Handling errors and generally sloppiness is taking this game out of sight.

cjm. 28 December, 2019 16:55
Jeez this is awful.

ExiledChameleon 28 December, 2019 17:04
Awful end to the game. Need a serious reset before Exeter next weekend. Hopefully Quins make sure that Leicester get nothing from their game.

Coleman, Cowan, OHC, Rogerson, Phipps all good performances, first three especially so. Albert perhaps looking a bit tired, but a strong performance, Freddie clearly was a bit out of practice but improved, Worldwide had a far better debut than Stokes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2019 17:07 by ExiledChameleon.

irishboy_1995 28 December, 2019 17:05
Utteer Garbage

Alphacat 28 December, 2019 18:41
https://i.ibb.co/dbQJ14T/championship-meme.png

sad smiley

HMRH 28 December, 2019 18:46
Hard to see where our next points come from

Florida 28 December, 2019 18:51
Official match report claiming Motz's red was the match defining moment, I'd say it was Dell's stupidity.

Bazzo 28 December, 2019 18:54
Discipline......

Margin_Walker 28 December, 2019 19:21
Well this stretch of games have been a total train wreck and is't going to get much better with Exeter next week. Only way it could have gone worse is if Leicester had won, rather than drawn today. Not checked with the bookies, but would expect we'll now be showing as favourites for the drop.

I can live with conceding cards when we're under pressure close to our line and trying to stretch the laws a little at the ruck an maul. It's frustrating, but it happens. What drives me insane are the needless high shots. Think that's 3 red cards in 5 games now. Some players play like an accident waiting to happen at the breakdown and in the tackle and it's all starting to come home to roost. If players need to stop flying in for chest high 'hits'. The risk and reward balance just isn't worth it, as you only need to get it wrong by a few inches to see red. The coaches shouldn't be putting up with the repeat offenders, it's on them too. I don't care how energetic they are around the pitch; it's just killing us this season.

Before we fix anything else, we need to fix this. We cannot be conceding cards for illegal contact at the tackle/ruck if we are going to turn this around. We're not a good enough team to play a man down.

x_ile 28 December, 2019 20:05
Under which rock does this particular little reptile live?

Shawshank 28 December, 2019 20:18
Much easier ways surely to get a red card eg. Tell the ref to F off.

We’ve now got to target ruthlessly about 6 ‘winnable’ games for wins.

Forget the rest, stick out an A league side for them. Starting next week against Exeter, who we stand no chance against even if we d our best XV playing.

Smudge21 28 December, 2019 22:52
We're going through a tricky patch. Exeter are likely to rest a few guys ahead of a return to Europe the following week. Imperative that we get behind the lads and hope for some points. We're still 6 points ahead of leicester with the 6 nations coming up and a lot of our best players to return from Injury. Coyi.

AlecW 29 December, 2019 11:17
I see that all but one of @willienelson’s posts have disappeared. Thank goodness.

Posts that are / could be actionable carry serious potential liabilities for the editors of any message board on which they are posted and so those of us who enjoy this message board should be glad that ‘action’ [sorry!] has been taken in this instance...

@willienelson should have come up with something just a little more substantive than wild assertions...

Glad the space under the stone inside the pond is occupied once more.

Now: what a terrible performance - the Sunday Times (sorry - behind a paywall, so will only copy / paste a few bits) sums it up pretty neatly / painfully this morning:

“Even with his gumshield in, the contact [from Matu’u] cost Weir a couple of teeth ... Irish posed little threat with ball in hand ... As for London Irish, this was their fourth defeat on the bounce. With a move to a new ... stadium ... next season, the Exiles are in danger of starting life there as a Championship side.”

cjm. 29 December, 2019 11:58
Quote:
AlecW
I see that all but one of @willienelson’s posts have disappeared. Thank goodness.
Posts that are / could be actionable carry serious potential liabilities for the editors of any message board on which they are posted and so those of us who enjoy this message board should be glad that ‘action’ [sorry!] has been taken in this instance...

@willienelson should have come up with something just a little more substantive than wild assertions...

Glad the space under the stone inside the pond is occupied once more.

Now: what a terrible performance - the Sunday Times (sorry - behind a paywall, so will only copy / paste a few bits) sums it up pretty neatly / painfully this morning:

“Even with his gumshield in, the contact [from Matu’u] cost Weir a couple of teeth ... Irish posed little threat with ball in hand ... As for London Irish, this was their fourth defeat on the bounce. With a move to a new ... stadium ... next season, the Exiles are in danger of starting life there as a Championship side.”

I tell you that Duncan Weir is a tough wee player.

In the instant I thought it was just a big hit. On repeat viewing it just looked worse and worse and the damage it has caused shows why it needs harsh consequences for the player doing it and outlawing from the game. Tackles, not hits, should be the order of the day. Charges into rucks like Dell did are such pointless and stupid actions too.

As per other post. I feel the game has been allowed to drift in from both a team and a reffing perspective and this results in such things. Until discipline is restored on both sides it will drift further. I actually think rugby league does these things better in general.

timdouglas1 02 January, 2020 05:29
As I am a Coventry supporter, I hope it is okay for me to pass on a comment regarding James Stokes. He was excellent at League 1 level, but struggled a little at Championship level at first, but had a few niggling injuries. When he was fully fit, he was back to his best again, and with a good fly half, I am sure he will be a revelation for LI, but you need to stop conceding needless penalties and work on team discipline. I wish you luck for the rest of the season, and keep my fingers crossed you finish above Wasps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net