Latest news:

What is wrong with the game, what is wrong with the team
Discussion started by cjm. , 28 December, 2019 17:18
What is wrong with the game, what is wrong with the team
cjm. 28 December, 2019 17:18
My affection for the game of rugby is rapidly fading. It is simply not entertaining for me anymore. And the reason is games like today's. This is divided into problems with the game and problems with LI.

Problems with the game.

1. It is stodgy.
2. The camel train. This nonsense behind the ruck of all stringing out players makes the game look ridiculous. It slows it down. And have you have seen a ref ping for not using despite multiple tellings.
3. Reffing is still highly variable. They should ping more and talk less.
4. The amount of talking back/shouting at the ref is becoming a massive problem. Think I might have seen marching back 10 yards once this season.

Problems with LI
1. We do not seem to value discipline as a team quality.
2. We cause ourselves problems and think the answer is to make them worse. We need a proper steadying influence. Back in the day, when we were playing well, Mike Catt always controlled the game. We don't have anyone who does that now.
3. The big players are actually playing pretty well. Coleman today was great. We seem to actually have a problem with strategy and basics rather than players.

All IMO and no doubt could add more. Just feel like my desire to watch any rugby is disappearing and I don't want it to because I don't particularly watch any other sports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2019 17:21 by cjm..

Re: What is wrong with the game, what is wrong with the team
Florida 28 December, 2019 17:33
Can't really argue with much of that. I was watching Exeter the other day, they just don't panic, they perform their roles and back themselves to get back into the game and come out winners. We however don't have that, we panic, we force it and end up blowing it.

SimonG19 29 December, 2019 11:34
Agree with much of the thoughts about the game in general but of course the main problem with watching Premiership rugby is that it is a corrupt competition where a club has been allowed to cheat in every game for five years and keep the trophies it "won". That is the first thing that needs sorting out.

plzd 12 January, 2020 20:51
Agreed nothing has changed sarries have not been cheating for two years it has been a decade have not bothered to go to a single prem game it is corrupt

GHA 12 January, 2020 22:13
Quote:
plzd
Agreed nothing has changed sarries have not been cheating for two years it has been a decade have not bothered to go to a single prem game it is corrupt

Slow Sunday evening for a Quins fan

Get a life

Shawshank 13 January, 2020 10:25
And the scrum is becoming more and more frustrating - so many re-sets and time taken out of the game.

Having 'time-off' until the ball is actually in the scrum is one solution, but you'd then end up with each game lasting well over 2 hours.

x_ile 13 January, 2020 10:34
Quote:
Shawshank
And the scrum is becoming more and more frustrating - so many re-sets and time taken out of the game.
Having 'time-off' until the ball is actually in the scrum is one solution, but you'd then end up with each game lasting well over 2 hours.

Time off until the ball is actually out of the scrum might work too. (Sm100)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net