Latest news:

The New Guys
Discussion started by irishboy_1995 , 02 January, 2020 17:08
The New Guys
irishboy_1995 02 January, 2020 17:08
I was just wondering what everyone's opinions on the new signings have been so far, I've been massively disappointed and underwhelmed

Dell - A liability
Kepu - hasn't played yet
Nott - hasnt made an impact
Coleman - looked good in the few games he's played
Botha- was player of the season until he left
Mafi - massively disappointing so far
O'Brien- injured
Phipps- Meh been ok
Jackson- injured but was underwhelming before the injury
Rona- been fairly decent
Naholo- 2 trys in 2 games but did look way off the pace when he played

We need these guys to perform far better than they are because that's alot of coin right there and it'll be hugely embarrassing at the farewell madejski party if we are going back to the Championship.

Re: The New Guys
dooj106 02 January, 2020 17:56
In my view Coleman and Botha have been the stand outs by far. Rona has been solid particularly in defence. Think Phipps has been decent particularly with his speed of passing. Jackson again has been ok but think he is a lot better when played in his position i.e 10. Again Naholo has been solid but difficult to judge in a Couple of games.

The rest (obviously minus Kepu) have a bit of ground to make up. Having said that you win and lose as a team and as a team we need to improve quite a lot on last couple of games...particularly as Exeter and Saints are on the horizon

Shawshank 02 January, 2020 19:12
Iíve thought for a long time that you get best Ďvalueí for an overseas player when you sign a Saffer forward.

All of those signings for us over the years have been excellent, going back to the days of Nakia, then Faan, Danie and more recently FVDM and The 2 Bothas.

When you look around other prem squads ( eg. Sarries, Sale and Exeter) you see similar things.

PV 02 January, 2020 19:27
CJ Van Der Linde

Anyway. Botha decent, Phipps decent, Coleman same. The rest will take a while to bed in. Have faith folks. Weíll come good and be in the Prem in a brand new stadium next year. No relegation, remember......

SixNineOne 02 January, 2020 20:18
Iíve been impressed with Coleman. Heís a big hitter with an excellent work rate. I also think Phipps has been pretty good from what Iíve seen of him (except chucking the ball at Stokesí head...) Iíve also been impressed with PJ when heís playing 10. He plays fast and flat and looks like he can get the back line moving. As for the rest, I canít believe the likes of Dell and Mafi have suddenly become rubbish players just because theyíve pulled on a green jersey, so letís give them a chance to bed in.

Florida 02 January, 2020 20:41
Quote:
irishboy_1995
@#$%& me
Dell - strong in th scrum until he was an idiot
Kepu - hasn't played yet
Nott - looks pretty good so far
Coleman - looked good in the few games he's played
Botha- was player of the season until he left
Mafi - played less than a handful of games, too early to judge
O'Brien- injured
Phipps- been good, look at the cross field kick to naholo
Jackson- looked good with the pack doing well, not great as a 15
Rona- no go forward, but solid defense. Not suited to a wing with our current game plan
Naholo- 2 trys in 2 games and still a shed load left in the tank

cjm. 02 January, 2020 21:00
I think Dell has actually been good apart from the moments of madness.
I think Coleman and Botha have been exceptional.

Naholo is doing what he needs to do but I have expressed my reservations on his speed before, would like to see him step up a gear when he gets back. We have a serious lack of fast, dangerous wingers, OHC being the only one I rate in that category at the mo.

Phipps I think has been very good because we need a quick scrum half and he fits the bill.
Mafi seems quite non-committal to me.

If we can get through this season then I think we could be a lot more settled. The comings and goings of players has been a real distraction from building a settled team.

Injuries may be a problem but it is a problem every team has from time to time.

SirBurger 02 January, 2020 21:05
Donít you rate Loader cjm?

Agree that we need to give some of these guys a bit more time, but also have been disappointed so far by Dell and Mafi in particular.

Margin_Walker 02 January, 2020 21:59
Yeah, Loader has been a huge miss for us. Genuinely capable of making something from nothing and has no glaring weaknesses in his game. We've been missing a game changer like that in the backline. Hope the injury isn't too serious and he's back (or nearing fitness) by the next block of GP games.

I like OHC and he has some promise, but I thinks he's a noticeable step down from Loader at the moment. Will be good to get Williams back to give us a few more options, as we are definitely lacking threat out wide currently.

cjm. 02 January, 2020 22:17
Quote:
SirBurger
Donít you rate Loader cjm?
Agree that we need to give some of these guys a bit more time, but also have been disappointed so far by Dell and Mafi in particular.
I do rate him highly but I haven't seen enough yet. He does have the danger and speed we are missing in general.
I am just going by impressions rather than analysis and OHC has caught the eye more. But that maybe just because I have seen him more.

Florida 02 January, 2020 22:19
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Yeah, Loader has been a huge miss for us. Genuinely capable of making something from nothing and has no glaring weaknesses in his game. We've been missing a game changer like that in the backline. Hope the injury isn't too serious and he's back (or nearing fitness) by the next block of GP games.
I like OHC and he has some promise, but I thinks he's a noticeable step down from Loader at the moment. Will be good to get Williams back to give us a few more options, as we are definitely lacking threat out wide currently.

I'm really liking OHC, he's got a bit of Lewington about him, he just needs to work out how to finish his mazy runs

Jonny_C 02 January, 2020 22:35
We also enjoyed the RSA skills and commitment of Ryan Strudwick, Geoff Appleford, Michael Horak and Hentie Martens.

Smudge21 02 January, 2020 22:51
Biggest loss is jackson at the moment. We need him at 10 as he gets the backline moving. Myler has his qualities but his limitations have become more obvious with the loss of the likes of loader who was able to create scores from nothing

SirBurger 02 January, 2020 22:59
Quote:
Smudge21
Biggest loss is jackson at the moment. We need him at 10 as he gets the backline moving. Myler has his qualities but his limitations have become more obvious with the loss of the likes of loader who was able to create scores from nothing

Spot on. I think Myler is fine when you have Loader and Naholo out wide who can create something from very little. Without them we need Paddy at 10 to take the ball to the line and present a running threat himself. Does anyone know long is he out for?

cam - fair enough, re Loader vs. OHC. Personally, I rate both of them but think Loader is quite a long way ahead in his development and think he will almost certainly play for England one day. OHC might reach those heights but I don't think it is as clear cut.

Margin_Walker 02 January, 2020 23:00
Myler's actually giving us a pretty solid base. Currently kicking at 94% (17 out of 18) in the GP. We would have killed for a steady ten who could do that in previous years. Sure, he's not a flashy player and Jackson would offer more in that regard, but he plays flat to the line and ships it on perfectly adequately. We need to be creating more outside of him whilst Jackson is injured.

May have been a time to try Theo at 12 again. Injured again though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 23:02 by Margin_Walker.

PV 02 January, 2020 23:04
What happened to Macken?

Margin_Walker 02 January, 2020 23:05
Quote:
PV
What happened to Macken?

Injured. Everyone's injured

Smudge21 02 January, 2020 23:28
The most important thing is that we have these guys back for the 6 nations period. Even with a fully fit squad we would do well to get much out of exeter at home and Northampton away. But during the six nations we have a genuine opportunity to bag some points.
Not expecting anything this weekend, but it would be nice to see a disciplined performance that can see us be competitive with the very best.

SixNineOne 03 January, 2020 16:19
Quote:
Smudge21
The most important thing is that we have these guys back for the 6 nations period. Even with a fully fit squad we would do well to get much out of exeter at home and Northampton away. But during the six nations we have a genuine opportunity to bag some points.
Not expecting anything this weekend, but it would be nice to see a disciplined performance that can see us be competitive with the very best.
Iím not sure any of us are really expecting much this weekend, but it would be nice to think we could keep 15 men on the field for the full 80 minutes and perhaps even keep the penalty count in single figures...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net