Latest news:

7-0 down
Discussion started by PV , 05 January, 2020 14:38
7-0 down
PV 05 January, 2020 14:38
And being dominated...

Re: 7-0 down
cjm. 05 January, 2020 14:43
Well, we are kind of giving them possession. Butterfingers and loose passes in abundance.

PV 05 January, 2020 14:46
On their line. Heave

PV 05 January, 2020 14:49
Belgium scores in the corner after lots of pressure

cjm. 05 January, 2020 14:58
Coleman off, oh dear. Who is Maddison?

PV 05 January, 2020 15:03
Barney.

Exeter fluffed 3 chances

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:04
Quote:
PV
Barney.
Exeter fluffed 3 chances
Ask a stupid question I guess. I haven't heard of "Barney" before.

Still far from good but some better defending for sure.

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:19
Really poor now.

Exilepaul 05 January, 2020 15:19
Exeter have been so poor and are hammering us just how bad are we?

tatthecraic2 05 January, 2020 15:20
Cowan wants or so bad that he us single handedly killing our defense with stupid penalties

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:21
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Cowan wants or so bad that he us single handedly killing our defense with stupid penalties
Was just about to post the same. Penalty machine today.

PV 05 January, 2020 15:23
Listening on Radio Devon (rock n roll baby), Chiefs have got their shoite together and we seemed to be having injuries at every stoppage. Coleman big loss,

[www.london-irish.com]

Could be a pasting in second half. Cmon Irish ☘️

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:25
We are simply unable to cross the gain line whereas Chiefs are now crossing it at will.

x_ile 05 January, 2020 15:31
Lots of comments here about how good/bad the teams are but no one seems to be actually adding any scores ..... ?

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:33
Scores can easily be found elsewhere our wisdom and insight can't :-)

[twitter.com]

7-28 FWIW

tatthecraic2 05 January, 2020 15:37
Just Lazy. Heads down given up and no bollocks

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:37
Another try to exeter. Far too easy.

Not sure any subs can make a difference now.

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:41
Tuisue try from lineout.

Heaf 05 January, 2020 15:43
Oh well two more tries and we get a point ...

PV 05 January, 2020 15:44
Cowan badly injured

NMB 05 January, 2020 15:45
I hope we continue to fight right to the end, there are bonus points up for grabs. Currently watching wasps v Northampton and hoping for a saints win. After such a terrible run it would be something to still have two teams below us going into the next run of games and the six nations. Albeit by a tiny margin.

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:46
Re OHC, rest my case. Superb try.

Heaf 05 January, 2020 15:48
Oh wow - maybe the TBP is possible after all ... but yet another injury, this is getting crazy now

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:49
Who the hell is the defence coach. They are throwing it all away with shocking tackle attempts. FFS

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:50
This is one match where Cowan is nowhere near MOTM.

NMB 05 January, 2020 15:52
Gotta get the TBP, plenty of time left! COYI

jimbo800 05 January, 2020 15:57
Worrying how many times I’m reading ‘in under the posts’. I’ll would have taken a bonus point out of this pre kick off, would be a great result if we can see it through and secure the fourth try.
Maybe the continual changing of the backbone has made it harder to be secure. Defence was good for the first few weeks. Was Terrence the defensive leader?

cjm. 05 January, 2020 15:58
Exeter are imploding a bit. 2 yellow cards.

cjm. 05 January, 2020 16:01
Quote:
jimbo800
Worrying how many times I’m reading ‘in under the posts’. I’ll would have taken a bonus point out of this pre kick off, would be a great result if we can see it through and secure the fourth try.
Maybe the continual changing of the backbone has made it harder to be secure. Defence was good for the first few weeks. Was Terrence the defensive leader?

Because Exeter were able to run through some very poor tackling in the centre.

Got the TBP. Mafi of all people.

PV 05 January, 2020 16:01
Bonus PT try 28-42

Heaf 05 January, 2020 16:03
Well that's a point I didn't see us getting so some positives at least

NMB 05 January, 2020 16:08
Right, happy with that, now time to get the losing bonus point while they are down to 13 men, then snatch the win in the final minute..

jimbo800 05 January, 2020 16:12
This echoes our previous relegation season, teams get out of sight before we lay a glove on them and then we start playing well but are too far behind to challenge. Why are we so bad at the start of each half. TBP is great but we should have had a BP from all our games over Christmas, table would have looked much healthier on 15 in stead of 13. Game management is still missing.

cjm. 05 January, 2020 16:20
Quote:
jimbo800
This echoes our previous relegation season, teams get out of sight before we lay a glove on them and then we start playing well but are too far behind to challenge. Why are we so bad at the start of each half. TBP is great but we should have had a BP from all our games over Christmas, table would have looked much healthier on 15 in stead of 13. Game management is still missing.

We still can't rely on basic skills such as passing, tackling and kicking. They are fragile at best.

Scrum has been surprisingly good today.

jimbo800 05 January, 2020 16:26
Injuries have exposed how thin our squad is, which is criminal given how we’re up the cap. Plenty kdotjer teams seem to have an even squad of stars and Orem quality players. We seem to have “stars” and then academy graduates. Our middle ground players don’t appear to be quite good enough to keep us competitive. I’d hate to have another season where we are defined by injuries as opposed to our actual ability

tatthecraic2 05 January, 2020 16:27
Regardless of shipped points...

Is a point for TBP more than we expected today?...

Probably...

bigbitty 05 January, 2020 16:28
C'mon Saints. Take a rolled up newspaper to those pesky Wasps!

Booger they are now only 4 points down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 16:29 by bigbitty.

Heaf 05 January, 2020 16:41
TMO swung the match with that dodgy pull back call leading to Wasps try quickly followed by another - completely changed the momentum of the match ...

jimbo800 05 January, 2020 16:45
There’s a high chance of wasps taking TBP win now with the red which leaves us in more trouble.

ExiledChameleon 05 January, 2020 16:45
Quote:
jimbo800
Injuries have exposed how thin our squad is, which is criminal given how we’re up the cap. Plenty kdotjer teams seem to have an even squad of stars and Orem quality players. We seem to have “stars” and then academy graduates. Our middle ground players don’t appear to be quite good enough to keep us competitive. I’d hate to have another season where we are defined by injuries as opposed to our actual ability

We have to overpay because of the relegation risk, simple as that. Which is why it would have been really nice to have been out of the relegation scrap by picking 6 points against LI West and Worcester.

ExiledChameleon 05 January, 2020 16:50
Does anyone know the schedule for when we expect players back?

Almost three weeks until the next game, so Naholo should be back, Kepu ready, anyone else that we're expecting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 16:50 by ExiledChameleon.

x_ile 05 January, 2020 17:12
Realistically, not a vast gap between 5th and 11th in the table.

Results over the next 2/3 Prem games could see a major reshuffle of the table.

(Sm160)

Florida 05 January, 2020 17:15
We only gave away 5 penalties, that's a massive step in the right direction.

SirBurger 05 January, 2020 17:21
Frankly delighted with a point. Played pretty well and a huge step up from the last two games. Less happy about the Coleman injury but Maddison stepped up.

RodB 05 January, 2020 17:35
Great try from OHC, but Albert was MoM for me. Great carries and tackles and excellent at the base of the scrum even when we we were going backwards.

HMRH 05 January, 2020 17:35
Realistically that’s the best we could hope for and The only “if only” is I wish we’d played that way against Bath.

I look at the comments on here at times and wonder if the posters are either at the game or actually watch much rugby.

Bonus point against best team in England is a great result - sadly other results didn’t go our way but a great effort today. Solid scrum reduced penalty count and found our way to 4 tries

Florida 05 January, 2020 17:42
Quote:
SirBurger
Frankly delighted with a point. Played pretty well and a huge step up from the last two games. Less happy about the Coleman injury but Maddison stepped up.

Maddison has come on leaps and bounds since last season, made some great strong carries in his few cameos

Florida 05 January, 2020 17:51
Fantastic response from Dell too, having been a penalty machine last week he's kept a clean sheet this week and managed 16 tackles with no misses.

Great shift from Hoskins too who managed 15 tackles and 0 misses.

fatlad76 05 January, 2020 18:05
That might be the case but there were a huge number of missed tackles

Margin_Walker 05 January, 2020 18:12
Missed the first half. What happened to Coleman?

HMRH 05 January, 2020 18:21
Coleman seemed to hurt right shoulder

NickK 05 January, 2020 18:25
Albert was immense today so would be worthy of MoTM, but OH-C was great too. Hopefully gave Eddie Jones something extra to think about for the future.

Smudge21 05 January, 2020 18:29
Coleman hurt his shoulder very early on but played on for a little bit possibly damaging it more. Fingers crossed he's alright.
Hepetema was training with the squad pre match so he's not far away. If we can get him, PJ, Naholo, Coleman and Parton back for the next block of prem games I will be feeling much more confident!

HMRH 05 January, 2020 18:36
You serious?

Finno 05 January, 2020 19:04
Quote:
HMRH
Realistically that’s the best we could hope for and The only “if only” is I wish we’d played that way against Bath.
I look at the comments on here at times and wonder if the posters are either at the game or actually watch much rugby.

Bonus point against best team in England is a great result - sadly other results didn’t go our way but a great effort today. Solid scrum reduced penalty count and found our way to 4 tries

I agree 100% with all three comments above. Sums up my thoughts on today perfectly..

SixNineOne 05 January, 2020 19:10
Just for the record, we are the only team to have taken a try bonus point off Exeter this Premiership season...

GMC_LI 05 January, 2020 20:49
I think the fact that Exeter opted for the 3 point penalty for their final score showed that we had earned some respect from them today. Keep it going at this level Irish.

Incidentally, why no penalty try with the Devoto yellow card incident? Check the Wasps v Saints game for a similar incident with a penalty try awarded. Today’s merited that outcome for us I think.

Finally, Sam Simmonds for Billy Vunipola at number 8 for England in the 6 Nations, and undoubtedly the standout player in today’s game. Simmonds was more of the ‘grown man’ than Billy both last week and this.

cjm. 05 January, 2020 21:46
Quote:
GMC_LI
Incidentally, why no penalty try with the Devoto yellow card incident? Check the Wasps v Saints game for a similar incident with a penalty try awarded. Today’s merited that outcome for us I think.

In the Wasps game I think there were no defenders left to make a tackle in ours there were.

Lazyboy346 05 January, 2020 22:23
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
GMC_LI

In the Wasps game I think there were no defenders left to make a tackle in ours there were.

Yes they had plenty of cover - Exeter recovered the ball after the knock on and started to play on until the referee blew the whistle, so they would have been able to make a tackle. Same reason that Pennell's high tackle on Stephenson last week wasn't given as a penalty try because there were defenders who got to Stephenson before he could get to the line.

CharlieG 05 January, 2020 22:44
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
GMC_LI

Yes they had plenty of cover - Exeter recovered the ball after the knock on and started to play on until the referee blew the whistle, so they would have been able to make a tackle. Same reason that Pennell's high tackle on Stephenson last week wasn't given as a penalty try because there were defenders who got to Stephenson before he could get to the line.

Listening on Ref Link, for both yellow cards the ref asked the TMO to review it, as he was considering a penalty try. In both cases he decided there was cover so no penalty try.

GMC_LI 05 January, 2020 23:06
Thanks for offering those pointers, especially about the ref link usage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net