Latest news:

What a weird game!
Discussion started by Exilepaul , 05 January, 2020 16:29
What a weird game!
Exilepaul 05 January, 2020 16:29
First of all great fight and spirit shown by the boys, at half time I was thinking keep it under 50 and I've come away at full time gutted we've only got a point haha.

Re: What a weird game!
Shawshank 05 January, 2020 17:38
Yep, showed great spirit to put 4 tries on Ex., not many teams will do that this season.

Thought Blair was huge in defence, Albert and Ollie H carried strongly, and Ollie H-Cís try was superbly taken.

Rest all the first team away in France and then re-set for the home Scarlets match.

olw131 05 January, 2020 18:01
Agreed, we should keep the faith with a performance like that. End of the 1st half was unacceptable but we did well to claw back for the TBP.

The season is long and we have a lot of points left on offer, weíll face a lot worse teams than today and with players back we should be very competitive.

tonyh50 05 January, 2020 18:05
Yes strange game, but after our position at half time pleased to get the try bonus point.
(Sm146)(Sm146)
BUT WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THEY KEEP PUTTING VIETOKANI AT FULL BACK ?- he has never been a full back before he came to us and is/was Fijiís second choice No.10, he has good foot work, is fast and passes well but his tackling and ability under the high ball is not up to being the last line of defence. Comparing him to Exeterís full back today and most other clubs we are lacking there.
Why not play him as Fiji do at No.10, the clips of him in that position for them show what he can do, K&Kís insistence of using him as a full back reminds me of a previously Ďfailedí experiment of trying to turn Taki into a centre!!.

NMB 05 January, 2020 18:05
Agree with all of the above, the only frustration for me is what could of been with the previous two games if we had played to our potential even with all of the injuries! But I have much more optimisim now and am really pleased that we out in a half decent performance today. Still so much to work on!!!!

M51 05 January, 2020 18:06
Well done Irish after the 3 try blitz by Exeter you showed Spirit and guts to fight back and get that bonus point. Irish just couldn't match the pace and physicality of Exeter. I am now more hopeful for the rest of the season. "Keep it going Irish".

Smudge21 05 January, 2020 18:22
It was certainly an odd feeling at full time, delighted with the bonus point but left wondering what might have been! Thought the forwards fronted up really well in the set piece, especially after the early injury to Coleman. Hoskins for me was MOTM.
Big difference though in the quality of the backs. Think that is to be expected though given the amount of quality we have on the physios table at the moment! Thought we just looked a bit static and lacked spark ( Ollie's superb try aside!)

RodB 05 January, 2020 19:41
Stating the bleedin obvious, but we are so much more dangerous when we put pace and width on the game and Meehan particularly stifled that with his ponderous delivery from ruck and scrum. Move the ball wide
and we offer some threats

Bazzo 05 January, 2020 20:54
Very strange game. Freddie is ...... a very weak link. Can never make out what the game plan is though? Think that lots of teams will score many tries against us, no line speed in defence especially compared to Chiefs whose speed off the line was different level, bordering on the verge of offside all the time, but that is what all good teams do.

Was most amazed by the move that we tried off the 7 man scrum in front of the posts when they were down to 13 men. Looked like there was no plan? It just all seems a bit helter skelter to me. Lots of heart etc, but we have never lacked that, Blair in particular.

tatthecraic2 05 January, 2020 21:02
I think you all misjudge Vietokani.

Hes fine at Fullback hes an attacking threat. But our back three dont have a number of games together so the 'lose' each other.

V is a huge attacking threat. And he has clearly been given the go ahead to just try and make things work. Chips, wide passing and running. But if it doesn't stick they kick over the top and OHC and BT are not covering his gap.

He tries new things and (at the moment) they dont work. But I'd rather we try. I want him to pull the attention of the defense to worry what he will do next. Put Loader and Naholo around him with PJ at 10 and we have more chance of these attempts working.

What else will he do... kick... stogey pass... run into a wall... coz that's REALLY working well for us so far.

irishboy_1995 05 January, 2020 21:29
Quote:
Bazzo
Very strange game. Freddie is ...... a very weak link. Can never make out what the game plan is though? Think that lots of teams will score many tries against us, no line speed in defence especially compared to Chiefs whose speed off the line was different level, bordering on the verge of offside all the time, but that is what all good teams do.
Was most amazed by the move that we tried off the 7 man scrum in front of the posts when they were down to 13 men. Looked like there was no plan? It just all seems a bit helter skelter to me. Lots of heart etc, but we have never lacked that, Blair in particular.

What is exactly is a "rugby game plan" surely hunger, heart, physicality, discipline, having a good set piece and a good skill set goes a long way in rugby we were beat today because Chiefs *who were pretty much at full strength* are the best team in the league and will probably win the league, they are the complete package, we are at a different stage of the process in case you forgot we were in the championship last year and have so many injuries and suspensions its ridiculous.

Lazyboy346 05 January, 2020 22:33
Exeter were missing a number of key players today - such as Williams, Francis, Slade and Yeandle - but they have huge strength in depth that it isn't an issue. Most have been there for years so they know the game plan inside out.

Irish have mainly a squad assembled across two seasons of Championship and two seasons of Premiership rugby with a leavening of big signings that we are still bedding in, so it's a mixed bag, plus factor in the relegated team and London premiums when it comes to affording top quality players. Couple the injuries and suspensions with needing some loan signings to plug gaps and it's hardly surprising we are struggling.

Compare our back play against Leicester and Bristol with our games against Bath and Worcester, then look at who played all four games - probably Rona, Myler, Stephenson and the scrum halves. The lack of continuity in the back line and of our more successful game breakers is hindering efforts to build on successes up front, which have declined with Botha off and other forwards looking more tired from having to try to force us upfield.

Shawshank 05 January, 2020 23:52
That scrum against their 13 was really very poor.

Pretty standard play in that position is to outnumber the open side with backs, ideally a slight wheel to the right and then a pick up from No 8 breaking open side to then feed 9, etc. and the extra numbers out wide should prove decisive.

But we stacked the blindside instead, and then went open side straight off 9.

Video analysis is going to be pretty embarrassing for whoever (Smyler?) called our play...

LI Bohemian 06 January, 2020 10:38
It was not the scrum so much as the restart after the BP try, that was the biggest disappointment, after Exeter giving us a life line to get forth try, we were only one score from getting the losing bonus point, we had to regain the kick but Dolman showed more desire than us, they got the last points with 13 men.

irishboy_1995 06 January, 2020 10:57
Quote:
LI Bohemian
It was not the scrum so much as the restart after the BP try, that was the biggest disappointment, after Exeter giving us a life line to get forth try, we were only one score from getting the losing bonus point, we had to regain the kick but Dolman showed more desire than us, they got the last points with 13 men.

When we got to 28 points the lads seemed content the try bonus point was in the bag and didnt do much afterwards even tho they still had only 13. Exeter were on their knees at this point that was a little disappointing but I did like the fact that we were going to the corner yesterday instead of in my opinion taking the easy 3 points

jimbo800 06 January, 2020 11:09
We had no choice but to go for the corner with the amount of points we ship. Our hand is being forced as we end up behind so quickly. If we kept ourselves in games weíd have the option of taking the three more regularly. Going for the corner is attritional especially we seem to find it easy to mess it up. When reading tweet updates itís mystifying the know how in one tweet we are attacking opposition 22 and then in the next tweet weíre defending for our lives in our own 22. Teams seem to be able to make easy yards against us.

Smudge21 06 January, 2020 11:22
Agreed our line speed has got to improve if we are to stop teams making easy gains against us. Defense was impressive at the start of the season so we've definitely got it in us.
Think the defensive work of hepetema, loader and naholo is being badly missed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net