Latest news:

Being wrote of by everyone
Discussion started by irishboy_1995 , 08 January, 2020 00:17
Being wrote of by everyone
irishboy_1995 08 January, 2020 00:17
The bookies now have us as clear favourites for relegation and Goodey and Jim Hamilton both predicated us to go down on the rugby pod, maybe I'm speaking with my green spectacles on but are people predicting this because of previous seasons because I genuinely believe if every team in the prem has everyone fit we have a better squad on paper than Worcester, Wasps, Bristol, Leicester and Quins.

Re: Being wrote of by everyone
Sleepless in Seattle 08 January, 2020 00:28
On the Ruck podcast (Times / Sunday Times), they were saying it could be any one of 8 teams going down, including us. They (Lol Dallaglio, Owen Slot, Mark Evans) did not highlight us explicitly.

P.S. Its a good episode with long discussion about Sarries / salary cap etc

Alphacat 08 January, 2020 01:18
I think we probably are favourites to go down, but I don't think by a large margin...

PV 08 January, 2020 04:59
No one is going down.

HMRH 08 January, 2020 06:15
I make the fight between Wasps Us Tigers Worcester

olw131 08 January, 2020 06:46
Long old season

SirBurger 08 January, 2020 08:46
Quote:
PV
No one is going down.

(Sm157)

Shawshank 08 January, 2020 08:58
I hope PV has put some dosh on his steadfast theory...(Sm100)

tatthecraic2 08 January, 2020 09:49
we have the 3rd highest number of caps in the premiership, behind Saracens and Leicester... most of them come from Kepu and SOB who haven't even played for us yet....

[www.ruck.co.uk]

Bazzo 08 January, 2020 09:59
I have always thought that if they were to scrap relegation that it would be announced at the beginning of the season that it was happening, specifically to inform the RFU clubs further down the food chain and National leagues. Which is only right and proper, so I do not think that relegation will be scraped this year. Someone will go down, maybe for one season but I believe that it should be agreed by all parties before the season starts.

jimbo800 08 January, 2020 10:29
Rumour has it that sarries will start releasing players in the next month. May be a chance for us to recruit a couple of experienced heads as our injury list is so big.

tatthecraic2 08 January, 2020 11:07
Quote:
jimbo800
Rumour has it that sarries will start releasing players in the next month. May be a chance for us to recruit a couple of experienced heads as our injury list is so big.

Looking at their squad, potentially we'd be a good fit, if we stay up and we're based in London - Sarries players wouldn't have to up roots.

I think

Tom Woolstenholm
Nick Isiekwe
Calum Clark
Alex Lewington

may be on the block if that is the case. Good players (but not as good as their international couterparts in position) and probably have a good wage that would need to be dropped.

Tom Woolstenholm was very good for us, i'd have liked to have kept him
Nick I - has been rumored to be on the move anyway - would be a good replacement for Botha etc. and he's probably paid very well but they'd prefer to keep Kruis, Itoje, Skelton...

Calum Clarke - Pretty low on the list of players, with Earl, Rhodes, Vunipola et al. but probably paid well due to his flirtation with England when at Northampton

Lewington - would love him back - probably piad quite well for a non internation and they have Segun, Williams (leaving), Maitland, Daly who are all in front of him...

Smudge21 08 January, 2020 11:34
Personally think quins are in big trouble this season. Lots of injuries at the moment and will lose marler, sinckler and possibly others to the 6 nations as well as Marchant leaving for NZ. weak team on paper

GHA 08 January, 2020 11:41
Calum Clark is a disgrace and shouldn't be playing rugby

Not sure we have the money for any of those but it would be lovely to play the role of vulture for once

jimbo800 08 January, 2020 11:46
Theyíve announced four, I wouldnít be putting my hand up for them.

waltham 08 January, 2020 11:54
I thought we are already spending right upto the salary cap - as surely are most of the other clubs.

(BTW Daily Mail article today also suggests Lewington is set to leave at the end of the season)

jimbo800 08 January, 2020 12:00
What Iíd do to get him back. There are a couple of players I would assume are off at the end of the year and thatís Steele and fowlie. I donít know about the length of deal Max N-G has but as a signing he hasnít worked out, no fault of his just canít stay injury free. Donít know how long Blair is on, sale goes for barney and Campbell. Alex is the calibre of non international we need

GHA 08 January, 2020 12:32
Naholo and Loader should be our starting wingers for the next three seasons at least

Shawshank 08 January, 2020 12:45
Quote:
Bazzo
I have always thought that if they were to scrap relegation that it would be announced at the beginning of the season that it was happening, specifically to inform the RFU clubs further down the food chain and National leagues. Which is only right and proper, so I do not think that relegation will be scraped this year. Someone will go down, maybe for one season but I believe that it should be agreed by all parties before the season starts.

It shouldn't affect anyone else Bazzo - the top team In Championship (clearly now Newcs) will be promoted but there will be no relegation from the GP.

They probably wanted to wait until now to confirm that Newcs will be coming up (rather than a non-Premiership shareholder like Ealing).

Just now need to spend some of the Sarries 'fine' on a 'bribe' to the Championship clubs to agree to it - and probs more money for them if they also agree to have 2 year-ring fencing and then a play-off between top and bottom.

irishboy_1995 08 January, 2020 13:19
Quote:
GHA
Naholo and Loader should be our starting wingers for the next three seasons at least

Naholos wife had a baby I think he will just do one season with us tbh

irishboy_1995 08 January, 2020 13:24
Quote:
PV
No one is going down.

If the Premiership is ring fenced that's the end of the prem for me, paying loads of money to watch pointless matches with nothing on them isnt going to help anyone. Say we were playing Worcester in March and theres no relegation it's a non-event.

Florida 08 January, 2020 13:48
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
PV
No one is going down.

If the Premiership is ring fenced that's the end of the prem for me, paying loads of money to watch pointless matches with nothing on them isnt going to help anyone. Say we were playing Worcester in March and theres no relegation it's a non-event.

Why is it a non-event?

It'll be a corking game of rugby from two teams of a similar level playing without fear. Which for me will make for an enticing game of rugby and one I'd love to watch.

The other flip side is of course that with the league so damn close now theres the real chance that teams will be so close to being top 4 that they'll be throwing everything they have into winning by 4 tries and not desperately trying not to lose.

Heaf 08 January, 2020 14:03
I agree - without the fear of relegation I think teams are likely to be more adventurous hopefully leading to more entertaining games. Personally I think I'd enjoy watching games more without the stress of relegation hanging over it all the time.

irishboy_1995 08 January, 2020 14:33
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
PV
No one is going down.

Why is it a non-event?

It'll be a corking game of rugby from two teams of a similar level playing without fear. Which for me will make for an enticing game of rugby and one I'd love to watch.

The other flip side is of course that with the league so damn close now theres the real chance that teams will be so close to being top 4 that they'll be throwing everything they have into winning by 4 tries and not desperately trying not to lose.

I've never heard as much rubbish in all my life. If there was no relegation I'd doubt we would sign hardly anyone meaning your spending top dollar to watch an A league match practically and who honestly would have the appetite to play in these games after the new year and our top young talent would have have no incentive of staying with us. The club would have no need to progress because there's no fear there and just become another Zebre. There has to be reward for doing well and punishment for not.

Exile_Dave 08 January, 2020 14:36
Quote:
PV
No one is going down.

You said that last season

cjm. 08 January, 2020 15:04
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
GHA

Then that would be another poor bit of business. I had assumed that he had moved over with family and was surprised when he went back to NZ so quick.

GHA 08 January, 2020 15:11
Surely he knew there was a baby on the way (or at least a chance of a baby on the way) when he signed seven months before the new arrival?

Florida 08 January, 2020 15:41
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
PV
No one is going down.

Why is it a non-event?

I've never heard as much rubbish in all my life

And so ends any chance of a reasonable discussion on the merit of relegation / no relegation.

irishboy_1995 08 January, 2020 16:02
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
GHA

Then that would be another poor bit of business. I had assumed that he had moved over with family and was surprised when he went back to NZ so quick.

Hes living with Heepetema. I'm glad the club granted him 6 weeks paternity leave to spend time with his new baby at Christmas and the New Year. Hopefully he comes back refreshed and can stick it out till the end of the season and not feel too homesick but family comes before anything coming from someone who's spent time away aswell and gets badly homesick.

Margin_Walker 08 January, 2020 16:02
Every year around this point in the season, people confidently predict no one will go down at the end of the season. Yet someone always does get relegated and I can't see anything to suggest that this won't happen this time. I think ringfencing will happen at some point, but when it does, it will fully agreed and likely announced before the start of the final season.

If I was a bookie I would have us as favourites as things stand. That said we are in a much better position than at this point on the last two occasions. Just takes a couple of wins to completely turn it on its head.

GHA 08 January, 2020 16:09
Two poor teams with nothing to play for during the last six / eight / ten weeks of the season don't usually result in thrilling games with tries and skills aplenty

cjm. 08 January, 2020 16:14
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
GHA

Hes living with Heepetema. I'm glad the club granted him 6 weeks paternity leave to spend time with his new baby at Christmas and the New Year. Hopefully he comes back refreshed and can stick it out till the end of the season and not feel too homesick but family comes before anything coming from someone who's spent time away aswell and gets badly homesick.

Perhaps that should have been considered before signing. Sorry, know what you mean, but if it came first then he wouldn't have signed or he would have moved with his family to here.

Bazzo 08 January, 2020 16:18
Quote:
GHA
Two poor teams with nothing to play for during the last six / eight / ten weeks of the season don't usually result in thrilling games with tries and skills aplenty

I am not 100% but think it was during the Brian Smith era, London Welsh were relegated, Quins could not get in the top four , we were safe from the drop and we played them at the Stoop, last game or second last game of the season, it was a dead rubber, nothing to play for. I drove up to watch on a lovely day. Think it finished 40-40 with tries a plenty. Remember thinking why we did not play that way all season and how much more enjoyable it was watching them with the pressure off. Great game.

paddym 08 January, 2020 16:33
I suppose it depends on whether you want to play Heineken Cup or happy to stay in the Challenge Cup.

Shawshank 08 January, 2020 18:06
All the major USA sports seem to manage OK without relegation, as does stuff like IPL.

And the Super 15(?), Currie Cup and Pro14 donít have relegation.

Alphacat 08 January, 2020 19:45
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
GHA

I am not 100% but think it was during the Brian Smith era, London Welsh were relegated, Quins could not get in the top four , we were safe from the drop and we played them at the Stoop, last game or second last game of the season, it was a dead rubber, nothing to play for. I drove up to watch on a lovely day. Think it finished 40-40 with tries a plenty. Remember thinking why we did not play that way all season and how much more enjoyable it was watching them with the pressure off. Great game.

Think it was the 40-40 draw at the Madejski against Wasps in 2014/15, unless you are talking about some other game - but can agree, that was one of the more enjoyable games I've watched.

Florida 08 January, 2020 21:01
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
GHA

Perhaps that should have been considered before signing. Sorry, know what you mean, but if it came first then he wouldn't have signed or he would have moved with his family to here.

No one in their right mind would move their pregnant partner half way across the world to a country they've not gotten themselves set up in.

It makes perfect sense for his partner to stay in NZ, she'll have friends and family to look after her and the little one while she recovers. This allows Naholo to find a place over here and get it sorted out to bring his partner and little one over.

cjm. 08 January, 2020 21:10
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995
Quote:
GHA

No one in their right mind would move their pregnant partner half way across the world to a country they've not gotten themselves set up in.

It makes perfect sense for his partner to stay in NZ, she'll have friends and family to look after her and the little one while she recovers. This allows Naholo to find a place over here and get it sorted out to bring his partner and little one over.

If you read the comments above mine you will see why I said this. You are assuming the last sentence happens.

SirBurger 08 January, 2020 21:31
And how do you know it wonít? Every indication was Naholo was joining on a medium/long term deal...

cjm. 08 January, 2020 22:04
Quote:
SirBurger
And how do you know it wonít? Every indication was Naholo was joining on a medium/long term deal...

I don't.

tatthecraic2 08 January, 2020 22:15
Can you change the title from Wrote to Written... the sentence is making me itchy...

cjm. 08 January, 2020 22:39
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Can you change the title from Wrote to Written... the sentence is making me itchy...

How about of to off or can that stay?

tatthecraic2 09 January, 2020 00:01
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
tatthecraic2

How about of to off or can that stay?

I was too busy looking at Wrote, I didn't see 'of'... now I'm double itchy

PV 09 January, 2020 07:20
In response to Exile Dave

No I didnít and it wouldnít have been permitted as we are the 13th share holder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2020 07:25 by PV.

PV 09 January, 2020 07:23
Donít get me wrong, Iím personally an advocate of relegation as I think the jeopardy is a stronger draw than the quality of rugby played - but I appreciate both sides. Rugby struggles to make money professionally and with the PE backing theyíll have a very strong view.

I suspect in next 5 years weíll have franchises, again not what I want and I donít have the inside track on this one, but if I were to bet on that and there was a bookies who cared, Iíd have a few quid on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2020 07:31 by PV.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net