Latest news:

O'Brien interview
Discussion started by Florida , 10 January, 2020 12:39
O'Brien interview
Florida 10 January, 2020 12:39
[www.rte.ie]

A really interesting read. Seems like he's here to shake things up a bit and make our environment a bit more like the Leinster environment. Hopefully that will eventually lead to the removal of performances like we had against Bath and Sale.

He mentions that he's looking to be out on the field in the coming weeks which is pretty exciting. I just found another short interview [kclrfanzone.com] where he states he's about 8 or 9 weeks away from a return. That would line him up to possibly play in the Quins match on the 15 Feb

Re: O'Brien interview
Exilepaul 10 January, 2020 12:42
Great news I just hope he isn't rushed back

Alphacat 10 January, 2020 13:02
Wasn't expecting him until around the time of the St Patrick's Day game as was previously mentioned.

PV 11 January, 2020 09:43
Sounds a bit arrogant to me tbh.

Shawshank 11 January, 2020 09:48
Agreed PV.

Canít imagine suggesting the rest of the squad are a bunch of pussycats has endeared him to many, esp. when he hasnít played a minute for us.

He better be good when he does finally get onto the pitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 09:49 by Shawshank.

PV 11 January, 2020 11:09
Indeed,do the talking on the pitch.

cjm. 11 January, 2020 12:17
Perhaps it's exactly the message they need to hear. There has always been a chummery feel to the LI work ethic rather than a professional and disciplined one ( this is from an outside perspective ).

I am disappointed that we have signed someone that may take some time to fully participate but I do respect his record and appetite for wanting to win.

SirBurger 11 January, 2020 13:40
Based on social media, he seems to be getting on with the lads fine. As cjm says, perhaps itís what some of them need.

jimbo800 11 January, 2020 14:52
I think heís exactly what they need in terms of attitude. Irish has for too long been a Ďniceí club where too many players rocked up and took their pay cheques without busting a gut. A little too much time is spent making promo videos showing how friendly everyone is. They talk the talk but results over the past few years clearly mean that being best mates doesnít make a good team. Ruffle some feathers and get everyoneís @#$%& in gear.

Ajax Treesdown 11 January, 2020 15:34
Quote:
jimbo800
I think heís exactly what they need in terms of attitude. Irish has for too long been a Ďniceí club where too many players rocked up and took their pay cheques without busting a gut. A little too much time is spent making promo videos showing how friendly everyone is. They talk the talk but results over the past few years clearly mean that being best mates doesnít make a good team. Ruffle some feathers and get everyoneís @#$%& in gear.

Completely agree.

If youíre not pulling your weight you need to be told to sort your sh*t out, not given a hug and told itíll be ok try again next week.

SOíB is a superstar and if he tells you to pull your finger out he isnít doing it to be arrogant / billy big b*llocks heís doing it because heís a winner.

If you donít like it - shut the door on your way out and weíll get someone else in who wants to win.

Exilepaul 11 January, 2020 16:15
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
jimbo800

Completely agree.

If youíre not pulling your weight you need to be told to sort your sh*t out, not given a hug and told itíll be ok try again next week.

SOíB is a superstar and if he tells you to pull your finger out he isnít doing it to be arrogant / billy big b*llocks heís doing it because heís a winner.

If you donít like it - shut the door on your way out and weíll get someone else in who wants to win.

Like the way the fans need to stop saying "what a team" and "hes class" it annoys me so much

Shawshank 11 January, 2020 17:34
He is being precisely a Billy Big Bollix.

What he has done for Leinster and Ireland counts for precisely nothing for me.Weíve seen enough Ďstarsí come to earn a decent wedge and be an utter embarrassment (another Irishman springs to mind).

I donít care what he says in private to the players.

But to slag them off so humiliatingly in public, when he hasnít even laced up his boots, strikes me as pretty shameful.

jimbo800 11 January, 2020 17:38
Quote:
Shawshank
What he has done for Leinster and Ireland counts for precisely nothing for me.Weíve seen enough Ďstarsí come to earn a decent wedge and be an utter embarrassment (another Irishman springs to mind).

But to slag them off so humiliatingly in public, when he hasnít even laced up his boots, strikes me as pretty shameful.

Which player is it?

Smudge21 11 January, 2020 17:48
He hasn't publically humiliated the players?

cjm. 11 January, 2020 18:37
Quote:
Shawshank

Really would help if examples of this were pointed out. I see no evidence of it in these interviews, just a world class player still determined to achieve.

Paul_D 11 January, 2020 18:42
Quote:
Shawshank

Can you point to one example of where heís ďslagged off our players so humiliatingly in publicĒ?

Shawshank 11 January, 2020 18:44
Once he has played some games for us, inspired a few wins, and showed us how good he is, maybe then he can start talking the talk.

Until then, he is, 100%, a Billy Big Bollix.

Paul_D 11 January, 2020 18:59
Quote:
Shawshank
Once he has played some games for us, inspired a few wins, and showed us how good he is, maybe then he can start talking the talk.
Until then, he is, 100%, a Billy Big Bollix.

Big words from behind your keyboard once again Shawshank but Iím still waiting for you to point to where heís supposed to have slagged off our players so humiliatingly in public???

Shawshank 11 January, 2020 19:11
Paul, please donít be so disingenuous.

Anyone who is not steadfastly a SOB cheerleader can easily see his interview, as linked in this thread, as basically saying their is very little Ďattitudeí in the squad and we are a bunch of tabby- cats.

Just about acceptable in your memoirs when you have retired, but to say it about your current, and new, teammates, when you yourself have contributed precisely zilch so far this season, despite being far and away one of the highest earners, , is in my book completely shameful.

BBB - please STFU.

Paul_D 11 January, 2020 19:27
I donít know what interview youíve read because I have read the entire interview linked in this thread and he doesnít once call our squad a bunch of tabby cats nor does he question the teams attitude. Youíre just making it up to fit your argument.

Nick4219 11 January, 2020 19:36
I think he is talking a lot of sense. The fact he hasnít played does not mean that he canít comment on what he sees needs to happen as he has tonnes of experience and the trophies to back it up with.

Some players that have been here a while probably do need a slight kick up the @#$%& as they have been in a losing team for years, if a few choice and honest words are able to do that then I am all for it. Hopefully for some of the younger players, just having a player of his quality around will trigger something in them to work harder and try and emulate what he has done in his playing career.

Canít see in any of the interview where he has slagged anyone off or been unkind about the team.

no17 11 January, 2020 22:41
Shawshank, you are a tiresome individual, please be quiet.

PV 12 January, 2020 07:53
I thought he was arrogant and if I were in the squad Iíd be disappointed. Itís a professional side and gone are the days of folks not pulling their weight. Also, itís ok to have a different culture/personality.

Nick4219 12 January, 2020 08:14
Quote:
PV
I thought he was arrogant and if I were in the squad Iíd be disappointed. Itís a professional side and gone are the days of folks not pulling their weight. Also, itís ok to have a different culture/personality.

Come on, do you honestly believe that the culture at the club over the last 10 years has been one that has set up a winning mindset? Look back to when we were title challengers and the players and personalities we had back then.

The squad needs leaders who have been and done it elsewhere and to tell some home truths if people arenít working hard enough or donít have the right attitude to be able to play and keep up in the Premiership. Look at how many times we just havenít started a game or after having scored we have just lost all concentration to slip and allow the opposition to immediately reply.

If professional players canít take some direct and honest feedback from an experienced player who has won it all in domestic rugby then are they really cut out for the physicality and mind games that happen on the pitch?

I would argue that we do seem to have a lack of fight in some games and I donít know any of the current squad who is the person in the changing room at half time lighting the fires under people to sort their @#$%& out and get in to the game.

PV 12 January, 2020 08:43
I genuinely canít comment on the mindset, but what I do know is that we havenít had the resources to compete until the PE money, partly why we have players like OBrien.

Nick4219 12 January, 2020 09:04
Quote:
PV
I genuinely canít comment on the mindset, but what I do know is that we havenít had the resources to compete until the PE money, partly why we have players like OBrien.

I agree, we donít know the mindset in the dressing room as we are not in there, however, when you see whatís on the pitch it does sometimes look like some players just arenít up for it.

PV 12 January, 2020 12:35
[www.google.co.uk]

Maybe this is the culture he is looking for. Him and Stan Wright.

GHA 12 January, 2020 12:38
Quote:
PV
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/se%25C3%25A1n-o-brien-sanctioned-for-dublin-pub-incident-1.3936040%3fmode=amp
Maybe this is the culture he is looking for. Him and Stan Wright.

The night after lifting the Guinness Pro14 trophy...

cjm. 12 January, 2020 12:45
Rugby players, behaving badly, whilst out on the @#$%&. Well I never.

I actually hate this aspect of the game in general, the OTT drunken behaviour. Not sure it will ever change.

GHA 12 January, 2020 12:50
The idea that a player's answers in a press interview completely shape his relationships with the rest of the squad is absurd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net