Latest news:

Recruitment 2020/21
Discussion started by shimmieandshake , 18 January, 2020 21:05
Recruitment 2020/21
shimmieandshake 18 January, 2020 21:05
I live a dull life and can't get out of bed without some gossip to get my teeth into.

Any rumours knocking around? Anyone you'd especially like to sign, within the realm of possibility? Perceived positional weaknesses?

Think it was kicking off around this time last year - think SOB was announced early Feb - so I'm guessing the club will have already been making progress behind the scenes. Given premiership status has just been confirmed, surely that'll be ramping up now.

Re: Recruitment 2020/21
GHA 18 January, 2020 21:07
Quote:
shimmieandshake
I live a dull life and can't get out of bed without some gossip to get my teeth into.
Any rumours knocking around? Anyone you'd especially like to sign, within the realm of possibility? Perceived positional weaknesses?

Think it was kicking off around this time last year - think SOB was announced early Feb - so I'm guessing the club will have already been making progress behind the scenes. Given premiership status has just been confirmed, surely that'll be ramping up now.

George, Itoje and Farrell please

That's just for starters

cjm. 18 January, 2020 21:08
I watched the Pau match this afternoon, if only we could have signed Ben Smith. Maybe next year.

M51 18 January, 2020 21:18
Looking at tonight's game, any player of premiership standard will do. Somebody in the coaching side needs a kick up the backside.. End of rant..

Exilepaul 18 January, 2020 21:21
Weaknesses? Have you seen us lately Cornish Pirates would beat us

GHA 18 January, 2020 21:24
Quote:
Exilepaul

Change the record

Exilepaul 18 January, 2020 21:28
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Exilepaul

Change the record

Not when I spend money on tickets and merchandise I can voice my opinion like everyone else

HK Phooey 18 January, 2020 21:35

Not next season

GHA 18 January, 2020 21:41
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Exilepaul

Change the record

Not when I spend money on tickets and merchandise I can voice my opinion like everyone else

You don't have to do it in every single thread

Are you saying you don't like how your financial contribution to the club is being spent?

Exilepaul 18 January, 2020 21:50
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Exilepaul

Change the record

Are you saying you don't like how your financial contribution to the club is being spent?

It's called freedom of speech and with the money fans spend on following this team and the money the players are on they should be doing better than serving up this garbage week in week out

GHA 18 January, 2020 21:59
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Exilepaul

Change the record

It's called freedom of speech and with the money fans spend on following this team and the money the players are on they should be doing better than serving up this garbage week in week out

Yeah and one of the key tenets of freedom of speech is the ability for anyone rich or poor, young or old, big or small, to put their message across in as many message board threads as they wish regardless of whether their message is relevant to the topic of the thread or not. Well done for taking a stand.

shimmieandshake 18 January, 2020 22:13
And there I was thinking I had a dull life...

Tom1215 19 January, 2020 04:35
I know itís not recruitment but would love to see Ben Atkins given game time the rest of this season with a look to replace faingaa next season.
Really impressed by his limited game time.

Tom1215 19 January, 2020 04:40
Also with that news it confirms Botha will be coming back.
Thank god!!!

Nick4219 19 January, 2020 08:08
Back to the original topic, my shopping wish list would include:

Lozowski to replace Myler who is 35 and may be looking at retirement soon?

Ben Spencer, we desperately need a quality 9 who can perform to Prem standards.

Alex Goode, quality player, reliable full back who should be and England star can fill in at a number of positions.

Jonny May if he fancies a spell in London now that Sarries are out of the frame.

We also need another prop as we got mullered in the scrum last night

GHA 19 January, 2020 08:22
Quote:
Nick4219

Alex Goode, quality player, reliable full back who should be and England star can fill in at a number of positions.

Jonny May if he fancies a spell in London now that Sarries are out of the frame.

May would be a waste of money. Due to salary and age I'd be tempted by Malins over Goode

Nick4219 19 January, 2020 09:24
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Nick4219

May would be a waste of money. Due to salary and age I'd be tempted by Malins over Goode

I take it you mean because he will be away with England a lot and not because he isnít a try scoring machine?

I imagine he will stay in Leicester who are probably very happy with the Sarries situation as they can offer him a sensible contract.

GHA 19 January, 2020 09:28
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Nick4219

I take it you mean because he will be away with England a lot and not because he isnít a try scoring machine?

I imagine he will stay in Leicester who are probably very happy with the Sarries situation as they can offer him a sensible contract.

I read that Leicester fans think he's not getting any younger (30 by the end of this season), and starting to lose his pace which is probably his biggest asset. Of course, they were saying that when the ridiculous rumours about Sarries signing him even after their fine and points deduction were announced, so that might've been a coping thing by them and not really true at all. I personally think we are set for wingers and the money needed for May could be better spent elsewhere

Nick4219 19 January, 2020 09:39
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Nick4219

I read that Leicester fans think he's not getting any younger (30 by the end of this season), and starting to lose his pace which is probably his biggest asset. Of course, they were saying that when the ridiculous rumours about Sarries signing him even after their fine and points deduction were announced, so that might've been a coping thing by them and not really true at all. I personally think we are set for wingers and the money needed for May could be better spent elsewhere

Fair point, I think heís still going to be in England plans at least for a couple of years. Will be interesting to see after Monday and squad announcements as they may tip some players over the edge to go to Europe or Japan.

I thought we were quite flush for wingers with OHC, Nahalo and Loader, deffo need a 10 and 9 for me.

shimmieandshake 19 January, 2020 10:52
I'd be in for Lozowski and Malins, but with Loz as a playmaking 12 and Malins 10/15.

Agree hooker needs looking at, but Porecki was very good before his injury, maybe he'll get back to the same standard. I also agree with the point Atkins could really come through.

I also wouldn't mind another wrecking ball 6/8. If Albert plays every game in that style, he'll be gassed.

Either way this injury crisis has shown two areas we're especially light is centre and full back.

jimbo800 19 January, 2020 11:02
Arno Botha is out of contract at the end of the season. Iíd take him back. We need a playmaker at 12.

Florida 19 January, 2020 11:11
Quote:
jimbo800
Arno Botha is out of contract at the end of the season. Iíd take him back. We need a playmaker at 12.

I'd prefer Botha at 6, don't really see him as a playmaking 12 winking smiley

jimbo800 19 January, 2020 12:46
Youíre right, heís more crash up the middle. Keep Blair at 12, the softest of hands, the hands of a barber

Exile_Dave 19 January, 2020 15:43
I would look to recruit a couple of centres, based on last night they offered nothing.

A decent full back as well. James Stokes is shocking and by far the worst signing this season.

shimmieandshake 19 January, 2020 17:14
I'd love Arno back. Or someone of a similar ilk.

Egg Head 20 January, 2020 07:01
I think that the front row needs to be addressed. Too many cards, lack of a platform, lack of depth, constantly under pressure.

Lazyboy346 20 January, 2020 07:46
A complete front row, two back five forwards and an outside back or two. I'd look at Barrington/Adams-Hale, Singleton/Woolstencroft, Lamositele, Isiekwe, Goode/Malins and Lozowski from Saracens but I expect there to be strong competition for them. And Iddefinitely take Arno back in a heartbeat.

PV 20 January, 2020 08:42
We desperately need a decent 12 and 15.

SirBurger 20 January, 2020 09:36
I am actually happier with Hepetema at 12 than the 13 options. I think if you put good players around him he will prove to be a handy enough option.

tatthecraic2 20 January, 2020 09:48
we Need

a class fullback, whole new centers, High level wing cover

but more important

a proper Line out and scrum coach... and a defense coach... we were spread so thin against Scarlets.

dooj106 20 January, 2020 10:10
IMHO it would help if players were played in best positions. Hepetema at 12 and Rona at 13 worked well before he was covering wing. We do need a backup winger though.

As for fullback....we desperately need someone.

Forwards looking ok particularly when throw Ruan Botha in mix....we are sorely missing his ball carrying as well as all round play. Him and Coleman in 2nd row should be quality and give Albert added support.

Kepu has looked good in couple of games so far.

I know easier said than done, but need to raise the standard of the 2nd/3rd choice so can cover injuries as well as put pressure on 1st choice lot so they get to and maintain certain standards

jimbo800 20 January, 2020 10:47
I donít feel that weíll be losing that many front line players at the end of the season. The only ones off the top of my head would be:
Steele
Fowlie
Franco
Motu
Lovejoy
MNG although he may have signed a new deal last year.
Cowan
Theo
Cilliers
Myler
Macken

This is based on not seeing extension announcements, not personal choice. Anyone know of any concrete info?

tatthecraic2 20 January, 2020 11:04
What about coaches.

Borthwick is free next season and we really need help with line outs.

Fursa 20 January, 2020 11:50
I thought Borthwick was going to Tigers after the 6 Nations

stu66 20 January, 2020 12:45
In Blairís interview with the Times in December he said he was Ďcontracted for another season Ď.

shimmieandshake 20 January, 2020 13:36
I think Parton is class.

Needs time to develop, but he has it. I'd be inclined to get an experienced, steady 15 rather than a big wage international, and let Parton be number one.

Smudge21 20 January, 2020 16:37
Agreed, Parton has the ability to be a very good premiership full back but just needs game time in my opinion.
A top class 13 would be high on my list along with a couple of props, hooker and a big ball carrying back row

nimblehippo 27 January, 2020 15:15
Strange that there have been so few rumors about signings for next year. Maintaining our squad would be no bad thing (we have some talent that needs to gel, and youngsters who are improving), but you'd have thought we could do with a few upgrades, particularly if the market is being flooded with sarries players! I see a lot of clubs linked to some of the sarries players, but never Irish!

CharlieG 27 January, 2020 16:32
Quote:
nimblehippo
Strange that there have been so few rumors about signings for next year. Maintaining our squad would be no bad thing (we have some talent that needs to gel, and youngsters who are improving), but you'd have thought we could do with a few upgrades, particularly if the market is being flooded with sarries players! I see a lot of clubs linked to some of the sarries players, but never Irish!

I suspect that one reason is that we are operating close to the salary cap. That would mean that the only options for recruitment would be replacements for players leaving. I've never really paid too much attention to contract lengths, so I'm not sure whose contracts are up at the end of the season, and some of those might have been renewed prior to Saracens relegation.

Regarding Sarries players, I did read an article suggesting that Sarries were having difficulties offloading their 'star' players, as the money they wanted would take most other clubs over the salary cap - apparently they was more interest in their 'lesser' (i.e. cheaper) players.

dooj106 27 January, 2020 17:22
Quote:
Smudge21
Agreed, Parton has the ability to be a very good premiership full back but just needs game time in my opinion.
A top class 13 would be high on my list along with a couple of props, hooker and a big ball carrying back row

We have Ruan Botha back next season and even though he is a second row he is a serious ball carrier based on what he showed this season

Parton does look good and will develop but we need another full back and probably a winger based on the gaps this season has illustrated. IMHO the rest of the recruiting will depend on who is leaving

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2020 17:25 by dooj106.

Margin_Walker 27 January, 2020 18:15
As has been said. Being up to the cap makes it likely that any business will be less immediately eye catching than last season and a lot will depend on who leaves. They tend to keep contract lengths under their hat, so it's always difficult trying to figure that out.

Thanksully I'm pretty sure the youngsters who signed their first senior deals last year are all still contracted next season and there wont be any relegation release clauses activated. Same for the other new signings.

One player I'd worry about is Tuisue. He's made a big impression and I wouldn't have thought he'd signed more than an 18 month deal when he signed last Jan given he was unproven at that point. Hope we've tied him down for next season as I'm sure there will be interest.

The one thing I can see us doing recruitment wise is going after another high profile Irish player towards the end of their career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2020 18:21 by Margin_Walker.

shimmieandshake 27 January, 2020 18:29
Very good point, MW.

Tying Albert to a longer deal should be prioritised.

It's fine with me not having any big name signings, but letting some players go and working on depth in the centre and back three probably most important.

After that, another carrier, but really, with Tuisue, Botha, Coleman, Rogerson, Hoskins, Porecki and DHA, it isn't top of my list.

ExiledChameleon 27 January, 2020 19:12
Yeah, I don't think that we need any big signings. Tying down Albert is something we need to do. Otherwise our pack looks fine for both strength and depth. 9s we're full to the brim with, Myler probably will do another year, plus Atkins coming through means that 10 is fine. With regard to FB, lets see how Stokes does, he's likely pretty cheap, and will be a good option if he continues to settle.

Florida 27 January, 2020 19:13
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Very good point, MW.

It's fine with me not having any big name signings, but letting some players go and working on depth in the centre and back three probably most important.

After that, another carrier, but really, with Tuisue, Botha, Coleman, Rogerson, Hoskins, Porecki and DHA, it isn't top of my list.

Don't forget to add Kepu and (hopefully) O'Brien to that list.

Florida 27 January, 2020 19:17
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Yeah, I don't think that we need any big signings. Tying down Albert is something we need to do. Otherwise our pack looks fine for both strength and depth. 9s we're full to the brim with, Myler probably will do another year, plus Atkins coming through means that 10 is fine. With regard to FB, lets see how Stokes does, he's likely pretty cheap, and will be a good option if he continues to settle.

Tie down Albert and get an attack coach those would be my two priorities

NMB 27 January, 2020 19:25
Phipps still needs more time to bed in but, if we have money to spare, I would love a world class 9. The impact the likes of Reinach, Hougard, Faf de Klerk have on their teams is huge and I would love someone like that at Irish

Smudge21 27 January, 2020 19:32
Agree with you there NMB, I know we can't judge phipps really till he has a full season under his belt but i was a bit sceptical of the signing in the first place. Hepetema is best mates with Tj perenara...one can dream!

shimmieandshake 27 January, 2020 19:54
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Very good point, MW.

Don't forget to add Kepu and (hopefully) O'Brien to that list.

Yeah, definitely right about Kepu, that's an oversight. Not sure about SOB, I think we're all in the same slightly sceptical wait-and-see boat with regards to if his body still lets him play as he did three or four years ago. Fingers crossed though, obviously.

And yes, re: gun 9s, the recent Piet Van Zyl memory still lingers. Maybe not on the same scale as the other Saffas but his impact was huge. Would love him and Arno back. Couple of years to soon for them both, alas.

ExiledChameleon 28 January, 2020 01:21
Thinking about it, the one signing I'd really want is James Marshall. Can cover 10, 12, 15, which are the areas we're shallow in, and clearly good enough.

Blarney 29 January, 2020 07:19
From last season to this we've had a lot of change in the playing squad. With the threat of relegation removed we need to focus on building consistency and depth. With everyone fit I see our first choice squad being something like:

1. Dell
2. Porecki
3. Kepu
4. van der Merwe (Botha when hes back)
5. Coleman
6. O'Brien
7. Cowan
8. Tuisue
9. Meehan
10. Myler
11. Hassel-Collins/Loadet
12. Hepetema
13. Rona
14. Naholo
15. Jackson

16. Elrington/DHA
17. Faingaa
18. Hoskins
19. Maddison/Mafi
20. Rogerson
21. Phipps
22. Atkins
23. Parton

That is a team I'd be happy to stick with. Areas to strengthen depth are: centre, back three, maybe another lock if Franco cant carry on. Having spent big this season, I think it would be wise to look for hidden gems/academy promotions next.

Florida 29 January, 2020 08:23
With no relegation in sight until next season I'd have Jackson at 10 with Parton, Freddie or Stokes at 15.

SirBurger 29 January, 2020 09:24
Priority number 1 has to be to tie down Albert. After that a lot depends on O'Brien. If he comes back and shows some form then we are probably ok at flanker, but otherwise I think we need some added depth/quality there, even if Rogerson is really performing well at the moment. Beyond that, we will need a hooker as Fainga'a is likely to be off and a back three player to mentor Parton and the young lads and cover if Loader gets an England call up. Someone who can cover full back and wing would be ideal.

As we are close to the cap, I am not sure we will be able to bring in much beyond that, particularly as most of the big names are on 9-10 month contracts this season, rather than 12.

Bazzo 29 January, 2020 19:35
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
ExiledChameleon

Thought that we had a top attack coach in Kiss? Did they not bring in Brad Davies to do defence and Kiss to concentrate on attack? Is that not the case?

Exile_Dave 29 January, 2020 21:24
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
ExiledChameleon

Thought that we had a top attack coach in Kiss? Did they not bring in Brad Davies to do defence and Kiss to concentrate on attack? Is that not the case?

Brad is our defence coach

[www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Florida 29 January, 2020 21:46
Kiss is head coach

Bazzo 30 January, 2020 21:23
So who is in charge of attack? We have to have someone specifically in charge of attack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net