Latest news:

Some home truths
Discussion started by Exilepaul , 19 January, 2020 20:35
Some home truths
Exilepaul 19 January, 2020 20:35
The reality is we have a management group who are well past it and cant motivate or put the fear into the group to perform and a set of players who care more about their social media accounts and paying lip service about how they'll do better next time and are simply here for a payday and are simply passing through. For the money the summer recruits are being paid the output is simply a disgrace.

I'm sorry if this has annoyed anyone but I have to get this off my chest as I love this club and want the best for us.

Re: Some home truths
olw131 19 January, 2020 20:45
Cheer up Paul weíre staying up

M51 19 January, 2020 20:46
It has to be said, so good on you.

Tom1215 19 January, 2020 20:52
We are 8 games in...
same points as wasps, 2 more than Leicester and 4 points behind a bunch of teams.
Yeah the performances havenít been great since the Leicester game but weíve got loads of players coming back from injury over the next few weeks. Everyone needs to chill out.
Kepu has played 40 minutes
Coleman fantastic so far deserving of his wage packet.
Botha deserves more money.
Naholo has played 2 games and now he can start playing week in week out.
Jackson was performing really well at full back.
Mafi yeah I understand he hasnít been up to it yet.
Cba to go through the rest.
Weíve got premiership status for another year guaranteed and now we can build on a 2nd season back in the Orem.

GHA 19 January, 2020 20:55
Quote:
Tom1215
We are 8 games in...
same points as wasps, 2 more than Leicester and 4 points behind a bunch of teams.
Yeah the performances havenít been great since the Leicester game but weíve got loads of players coming back from injury over the next few weeks. Everyone needs to chill out.
Kepu has played 40 minutes
Coleman fantastic so far deserving of his wage packet.
Botha deserves more money.
Naholo has played 2 games and now he can start playing week in week out.
Jackson was performing really well at full back.
Mafi yeah I understand he hasnít been up to it yet.
Cba to go through the rest.
Weíve got premiership status for another year guaranteed and now we can build on a 2nd season back in the Orem.

Well said

orsoncart 19 January, 2020 21:00
ĎPerformances havenít been greatí, they have been dreadful - Sale, Bath, Worcester, Exeter, Scarlets and the rest of the challenge cup. On paper weíve made some decent signings, but half way through the season, they havenít exactly set the world on fire (Botha excepted)

Dear God, Scarlets beat us by a mile, with half their starters missing. Theyíve were in a different league in terms of determination and skill

Tom1215 19 January, 2020 21:07
So!!!
Bristol got battered by Worcester by like 50 Points in there first season back. Weíve just come from a league of basically semi professionals. Itís gunna happen in our first season back we will definitely lose more than we win, but it showed 2 weeks ago that there is some fighting spirit from the boys against Exeter and we will definitely get back in the winning column soon without a doubt.
But calling for peoples heads already. Les kiss and Declan kidney have been fantastic since theyíve arrived and I for one hope they stay as well as brad Davies.

Tom1215 19 January, 2020 21:11
At least we arenít sarries....

tatthecraic2 19 January, 2020 21:13
They have nothing to play for. Support is pathetic.

I was in Y24 compliments of my Scarelts mates buying the tickets... and quite frankly their support is fantastic, loud and motivating.

Watching the other side of the pitch. Our supporters might as well have been cardboard cut outs...

Pathetic. All around. No wonder we cant get a culture or team going when our own home ground seems borderline hostile.

Tom1215 19 January, 2020 21:14
Well thatís why we are moving back to London if you havenít seen

fatlad76 19 January, 2020 21:21
My thoughts on watching
We historically miss out on bonus points due to kicking. Hence we welcomed Myler and rightly so.
Now we are safe is it not more important to get the process right ie moving forward, attacking mid field etc. this can only be done with more movement and attacking scrummy and fly half. So paddy, Freddie or Atkins at fly before smyler.
Plus need movement from the forwards with a back row of Albert Cowan and tj can be achieved.

Define the process and pick a team. Play them every game until it clicks or they get broken. Only replace them when they donít follow the process. No need for bubble wrap any more!

What you think?

Alphacat 19 January, 2020 21:32
Agree. Having a season without the threat of relegation is an excellent opportunity to build on the team for next season.

dooj106 19 January, 2020 22:14
Quote:
tatthecraic2
They have nothing to play for. Support is pathetic.
I was in Y24 compliments of my Scarelts mates buying the tickets... and quite frankly their support is fantastic, loud and motivating.

Watching the other side of the pitch. Our supporters might as well have been cardboard cut outs...

Pathetic. All around. No wonder we cant get a culture or team going when our own home ground seems borderline hostile.

Sitting in the West stand it was pretty loud..... Granted not constant for 80 like the Scarlets fans so can imagine sat in amongst them we may have come across as quiet particularly with the empty North and South stands drowning out noise.

I do agree their support was superb and can only imagine what the atmosphere is like at Parc y Scarlets when full.... Must be epic

paulm1953 20 January, 2020 13:22
Just curious what do people think the average home crowd will be at Brentford next season. I think it will be about 3,500.

jimbo800 20 January, 2020 13:31
Iím going to guess for between 4-5 thousand. Thereís a big mini and junior rugby club to tap into. Itís why I ended up at every home game at sunbury all those years ago. They need to get the kids and parents involved as quickly as possible.

shimmieandshake 20 January, 2020 13:34
Nine or ten thousand would be my bid.

There's going to be a lot of casual fans, especially those with Irish connections, willing to take a look now we're back in London.

Fursa 20 January, 2020 14:14
I agree 9-10 thousand

ExiledChameleon 20 January, 2020 16:28
Quote:
paulm1953
Just curious what do people think the average home crowd will be at Brentford next season. I think it will be about 3,500.

Easily beating that. Somewhere between 8,000 and 12,000 (factoring in a St. Patricks Day game).

Nick4219 20 January, 2020 17:09
Quote:
paulm1953

They need to improve the match day experience to get big numbers in. When I first started going to Irish games, the pre match was brilliant, live band in the North stand undercroft which whipped up the home and away support and warmed the vocal chords up.

Players that werenít selected in the match day squad mingled in the crowd and were available to talk about rugby, interviews and displays on the pitch and an energetic and funny P.A man.

After the game, more live music and always a good atmosphere with the away supporters win or lose and the DOR would also make an appearance for an interview or chat amongst the support.

Turning up to the Madejski now just feels like itís a place when a game of rugby will be taking place, no atmosphere and not much to do.

Granted the performances on the pitch will be responsible for drawing in crowds, but, hopefully with a bit more control over the new stadium, the club can look back about 15 years to the match day experience and try and bring that back.

Beeneyman 20 January, 2020 17:15
Please don't defend LI's woeful performance of late on the lack of support. The team only have themselves to blame for this.

Their game at present is terrible. They are playing like a bunch of 5yr olds (apologies to any 5yr olds who play better than this). When they are doing well they hold their heads up high and seem eager to get the ball and play. The moment they lose points their heads drop and they can't be arsed to play. They almost sulk. Quite frankly I find it pathetic that any professional sportsperson should behave the way they do. They then expect us fans to pay through the nose to witness their lack of ability? This brings me on to my second point....

The cost of tickets is astronomical. The cheapest ticket I can find for the Paddy's game is £32. That's sitting the a corner somewhere with a terrible view of the game. If you want a seat between the 22's then you're looking at £43. To put that into perspective, I can find tickets to watch England play the Barbarians for £40 or (if I were a footy fan) £25 to watch Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Now that they can't be relegated this year I can only see their performances getting worse.

Alphacat 20 January, 2020 17:27
I think 7000-9000...

cjm. 20 January, 2020 18:10
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
paulm1953

Easily beating that. Somewhere between 8,000 and 12,000 (factoring in a St. Patricks Day game).

Why are Ealing finding it so hard to grow support? I know they are Championship but would have thought that if there is all these untapped rugby fans there, Ealing is much more accessible.

I predict 5000 with the potential to grow to 10000 if they start playing rugby people want to see. Don't see it getting back to Madjeski glory days for a long, long time. I would also like to be proven wrong.

Florida 20 January, 2020 18:31
I'm no location planning expert, but I predict circa 50 - 13000

cjm. 20 January, 2020 18:49
Quote:
Florida

Are you saying, worst case scenario, that even the players families won't turn up?

Fursa 20 January, 2020 20:13
Worst case scenario is wide of the mark. The Emerald Club hospitality package is already sold out and I am sure more than 50 season ticket holders have signalled their intention to renew.

Edvik 20 January, 2020 20:40
I know that some people want moving to fail and get why. Some people have support us through a lot over the last 20 years through good and bad and donít want to see their club leave. I get it, it happened to me 20 years ago and I chose to go with them and am god I did as much effort it has been especially recently when we havenít been doing as well as weíd like.

If weíre just looking at the potential though for me moving back to London has always been an absolute no brainier, and admittedly I am biased because it means I donít have to drive out to reading. However, we will be going from an industrial estate on the outskirts of a town with a population of 218,000 to a ground within easy reach of 9 million people. And by easy reach itís the closest ground to a station in the country. Also, if youíve been to the area, Itís within walking distance to the river for some beers before and after, is within waking distance for a huge number of casual fans who might just fancy watching a game, and will be the London club moving forward in terms of location and easy of travel. Do I think crowds will increase, absolutely.

Itís not just maths from a population perspective either. When we left sunbury we were averaging over 3,500 so Iíd be hugely disappointed if we only managed the same now with the increase in popularity of rugby in the last 20 years. The difference to now is that then we were missold a dream of the reading 4 which never materialised. From the 3,400 there this weekend I could easily see it being the London 4 moving forward.

There is a large Irish population in the area and I canít wait to start hearing a few more Irish voices about the place. Iím not Irish but it is why we were set up as a club and does matter for me at least.

We missed a trick when we left and I know itís@#$%&for the people who are having their club taken down the road but itís absolutely what we need to start challenging again, all imho.

What I hope is as many people who have enjoyed the last 20 years come along for the ride, even if itís not as regularly. I think itís going to be brilliant (fingers crossed).

cjm. 20 January, 2020 21:00
Copied this from a site (2018 figures )

5. Harlequins, Twickenham Stoop
Total home attendance so far this season: 61,957

Average: 12,391

Population borough of Richmond-upon-Thames: 195,700

6.3%
The peril of being in London is that you are competing with so many football clubs in the top English leagues. Not a bad average attendance, considering.

No what are the pluses and minuses of Irish in Brentford in comparison?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 21:01 by cjm..

Florida 20 January, 2020 21:12
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Florida

Are you saying, worst case scenario, that even the players families won't turn up?

Apologies no, I was just attempting to point out that none of us are really qualified to estimate how many people will attend next season and we're mostly pulling figures out of the air.

I'm actually super hopeful that the move works out, it'll be awesome for me as it's a lot close and cheaper.

cjm. 20 January, 2020 21:48
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Florida

Apologies no, I was just attempting to point out that none of us are really qualified to estimate how many people will attend next season and we're mostly pulling figures out of the air.

I'm actually super hopeful that the move works out, it'll be awesome for me as it's a lot close and cheaper.

Well, it's just a game really. However, looking at Harlequins who are a very long established London club not a million miles from Brentford averaging 13,000 would suggest that the appetite isn't necessarily as much as the marketing people will tell us. In the first BS era we were probably doing similar if not more ( although renting a stadium put a damper on things. )

I think there may be a spike in curiosity interest at the start and then it will be a case of having to actual deliver on the pitch to maintain or grow it.

Aberavon Wizard 21 January, 2020 11:16
Looking forward to seeing you back at the Gardens on friday night......we have been playing there for over a hundred and thirty years !

orsoncart 21 January, 2020 11:21
Agree with CJM, an early spike of interest, but if we play as we are doing right now, a rapid decline

SimonG19 21 January, 2020 11:26
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
paulm1953

Why are Ealing finding it so hard to grow support? I know they are Championship but would have thought that if there is all these untapped rugby fans there, Ealing is much more accessible.

I predict 5000 with the potential to grow to 10000 if they start playing rugby people want to see. Don't see it getting back to Madjeski glory days for a long, long time. I would also like to be proven wrong.

I think lack of tradition counts a lot against Ealing.

GHA 21 January, 2020 11:37
Also 'Come on you Trailfinders' doesn't have much ring to it

ExiledChameleon 21 January, 2020 17:02
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Florida

Well, it's just a game really. However, looking at Harlequins who are a very long established London club not a million miles from Brentford averaging 13,000 would suggest that the appetite isn't necessarily as much as the marketing people will tell us. In the first BS era we were probably doing similar if not more ( although renting a stadium put a damper on things. )

I think there may be a spike in curiosity interest at the start and then it will be a case of having to actual deliver on the pitch to maintain or grow it.

I agree that we'll have to not be utter sh*t in order to retain support, but that's the same no matter where we play. Should we do a Bristol and be competing consistently towards the top 6 (which we really should do next year) then we should be selling out regularly, from a combination of people from the Stoop days and a good deal of R4s.

SixNineOne 21 January, 2020 18:19
Something that strikes me about all the other grounds I visit is how much younger the fans are and the greater number of female fans. Looking round MadStad I see a bunch of predominantly male supporters most of whom qualify for a free bus pass (me included). The move to Brentford is a golden opportunity for us to attract a younger and more diverse audience which in turn will make it a much more attractive place to come to. How we go about do that, I havenít a clue, but Iím hoping that we hire some smart marketing people to get the message across and bring them in!

cjm. 21 January, 2020 18:50
Quote:
SixNineOne
Something that strikes me about all the other grounds I visit is how much younger the fans are and the greater number of female fans. Looking round MadStad I see a bunch of predominantly male supporters most of whom qualify for a free bus pass (me included). The move to Brentford is a golden opportunity for us to attract a younger and more diverse audience which in turn will make it a much more attractive place to come to. How we go about do that, I havenít a clue, but Iím hoping that we hire some smart marketing people to get the message across and bring them in!

Even more so than Gloucester?

I agree that the club in general is a bit more staid than others however I think club rugby in general suffers from this syndrome. Perhaps we need prettier players. I remember up being up at Newcastle and Johnny Wilkinson seemed to be bring the ladies in.

ExiledChameleon 22 January, 2020 02:08
Quote:
SixNineOne

No 30s and under discounted tickets. I can get a Reading season ticket (24ish games) for the price of 3 London Irish matches, which is massive part of the reason why I've attended 1 & 6 matches this season respectively. The £200 18 to 24 season ticket at Brentford should help a bit.

Blarney 22 January, 2020 06:26
An older demographic shouldn't be a surprise. We've been so consistently poor for so long that the only supporters still coming regularly are the "lifers" whose loyalty and optimism are ingrained.

I remain hopeful for the move back to London and I think being in a smaller stadium will help. At the end of the day though, the factor that beats everything else in drawing crowds is winning/entertaining rugby. We are not based in a "rugby town" like Leicester or Northampton with little professional competition. We will be competing with Quins, Sarries, Ealing, a dozen professional football teams, ice hockey and goodness knows what else for a slice of the population (discounting anyone for whom a day at the rugby is too expensive). If we want the crowds, we have to at the very least win the majority of our home games.

Nick4219 22 January, 2020 09:15
Quote:
Blarney
An older demographic shouldn't be a surprise. We've been so consistently poor for so long that the only supporters still coming regularly are the "lifers" whose loyalty and optimism are ingrained.
I remain hopeful for the move back to London and I think being in a smaller stadium will help. At the end of the day though, the factor that beats everything else in drawing crowds is winning/entertaining rugby. We are not based in a "rugby town" like Leicester or Northampton with little professional competition. We will be competing with Quins, Sarries, Ealing, a dozen professional football teams, ice hockey and goodness knows what else for a slice of the population (discounting anyone for whom a day at the rugby is too expensive). If we want the crowds, we have to at the very least win the majority of our home games.

Hopefully some attractive ticket pricing will be a draw too. I was lucky enough a few years ago to have the AFES discount season ticket which was 50% discount and I know that brought in loads of people from my job to the games. I think on the day AFES was also 50% too.

A lot of my job also go to Ealing, however, with a Premiership outfit moving in then Iím sure most of them will be tempted to go to Brentford if the prices are closely matched or bettered than Ealing.

Saracens have pushed out deals across Londonís emergency service network over the last few seasons and the take up of the tickets has been quite high so maybe Irish can look at doing something similar.

Hopefully the local hostelries will open up and become a number of bases for home and away supporters alike without the need for catching a bus to an industrial estate which should contribute to a much better match day experience and atmosphere.

Iíve had some great days in Reading but the last few years have been a struggle and nothing like the heady days of the naughties.

AlecW 22 January, 2020 09:37
Blarney - "like ... Leicester with little professional competition"...

I reckon Leicester City (currently 3rd in the Premier League) would dispute that...!

(Sm128)

Blarney 22 January, 2020 17:50
Quote:
AlecW
Blarney - "like ... Leicester with little professional competition"...
I reckon Leicester City (currently 3rd in the Premier League) would dispute that...!

(Sm128)

True, but City's rose to prominence is a relatively recent thing. And I'm sure Tigers fans will tell you that that factor, plus their own downturn has led to smaller crowds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net