Latest news:

Team for Friday?
Discussion started by Blarney , 22 January, 2020 06:47
Team for Friday?
Blarney 22 January, 2020 06:47
Not sure who's available:

1. Dell
2. Faingaa (though young Atkins impressed)
3. Kept
4. Maddison (if Coleman is fit the COLEMAN)
5. van der Merwe.
6. Rogerson
7. Cowan
8. Tuisue

9. Meehan
10. Myler
11. Hassel-Collins
12. Hepetema
13. Rona
14. Naholo
15. Veitokani (a risk but not much choice here)

Bizarrely I would say (looking at Saints probable team) that we have a stronger pack - especially if Coleman plays. Our backline defense has to be sharper though, so Hepetema and Rona in the centres for me, our best partnership this year.

Re: Team for Friday?
shimmieandshake 22 January, 2020 07:59
I assume Dell will be with Scotland?

Smudge21 22 January, 2020 09:34
I think Coleman is fit as he has been training. I would be inclined to start with porecki over faingaa

Exilepaul 22 January, 2020 12:39
1. Dell
2. Porceki
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Mafi
6. Rogerson
7. Cowan
8. Tuisuie
9. Phipps
10. Myler
11. Rona
12. Heepetema
13. Stephenson
14. Naholo
15. Veitokani

I'd be just tempted to play as many summer signings as possible to give the fans a lift but they probably won't do that

ExiledChameleon 22 January, 2020 13:12
Quote:
shimmieandshake
I assume Dell will be with Scotland?

Why would he be? 6 Nations is the week after. Only English players get early/mid 6N release.

ExiledChameleon 22 January, 2020 13:16
1. Hoskins
2. Porecki
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. van der Merwe/Mafi
6. Rogerson
7. Cowan
8. Tuisue

9. Phipps/Meehan
10. Myler
11. Hassel-Collins
12. Hepetema
13. Rona
14. Naholo
15. Jackson? (Does Vetokani playing the A league game on Monday mean that Jackson is available for Friday?)

Shawshank 22 January, 2020 13:41
It will be interesting to see if the Sarries relegation will have any effect on the teams we now put out.

I would personally be keen to play as many of the 'youngsters' as possible - the only way we will ever really start to develop as a club is if we manage to hold onto our good young players, but if they are not played they'll probably get cheesed off and look elsewhere.

Just imagine a back-line in 2 years time of:

9. Brand
10. Paddy J
11. Hassell-Collins
12. Atkins
13. Williams
14. Loader
15. Parton

All but one come through the academy together, will know each others games inside out, and would die for the club.

Bring it on...!

cjm. 22 January, 2020 14:04
Quote:
Shawshank
It will be interesting to see if the Sarries relegation will have any effect on the teams we now put out.
I would personally be keen to play as many of the 'youngsters' as possible - the only way we will ever really start to develop as a club is if we manage to hold onto our good young players, but if they are not played they'll probably get cheesed off and look elsewhere.

9. Brand
10. Paddy J
11. Hassell-Collins
12. Atkins
13. Williams
14. Loader
15. Parton

All but one come through the academy together, will know each others games inside out, and would die for the club.

Bring it on...!

But a lot of people pay to see the big names. The youth need the good and the great to play alongside to improve. We would also be paying big stars to be water carriers.

Nick4219 22 January, 2020 14:54
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Shawshank

9. Brand
10. Paddy J
11. Hassell-Collins
12. Atkins
13. Williams
14. Loader
15. Parton

Bring it on...!

But a lot of people pay to see the big names. The youth need the good and the great to play alongside to improve. We would also be paying big stars to be water carriers.

Iíd quite happily like to see the young players from our Academy playing, however, I donít want to send them all in at once and risk being completely run over. I think a steady release of having 2 or 3 starting and the others being rotated in regularly through the rest of the season but have the safety net of senior players around them.

I think Parton (when fit) is ready for a first team spot all the time, Loader and OHC not far off. Iíd give Brand the 9 shirt, canít be any worse than some of the performances Phipps and Meehan have put in so far and heís the future of the club.

cjm. 22 January, 2020 15:15
If the forwards were consistently on the front foot and crossing the gainline I think both our S/Hs would be good ( prefer Phipps though ). Recent games there has been next to no go forward, mainly go back.

shimmieandshake 22 January, 2020 15:16
Good point re: Dell.

And Loader is definitely ready to play every week, alongside Parton.

Tom1215 22 January, 2020 15:17
Problem with our 9s they both look really good when they come off the bench. When we start them they seem to become super slow.
Anyone else think this?

Nick4219 22 January, 2020 15:23
Quote:
Tom1215
Problem with our 9s they both look really good when they come off the bench. When we start them they seem to become super slow.
Anyone else think this?

Agree completely!

cjm. 22 January, 2020 15:34
Quote:
Tom1215
Anyone else think this?

Yes does seem to be that way. Probably because we have already lost and there is no pressure :-)

SirBurger 22 January, 2020 15:52
Got no issue with Meehan myself. Has good service, makes good decisions and has a very good kicking game.

Margin_Walker 22 January, 2020 15:53
Quote:
Tom1215
Anyone else think this?

Some 9s can be slow from the base and make mistakes. However, it's incredibly difficult for a 9 to look good when their team isn't getting over the gainline. Front foot ball is everything for speed of delivery all things being equal. Likewise the best 9 in the world is going to look poor if his team is getting hit back on or behind the gainline. Often the dreaded 'he takes a step before passing' criticism is a symptom of a failure to win the collision and the lack of options it presents.

Often a sub 9 will look good because defences are tired and there are more gaps to exploit / more opportunities to get over the gainline, not necessarily because the is the better player.

Margin_Walker 22 January, 2020 15:54
I'd stick with Meehan too for what it's worth. He's decent and the problems are mostly elsewhere imo

Exile_Dave 22 January, 2020 17:47
Well the score predictions from Saints having us with heavy losses

[m.rugbynetwork.net]

Steelman 22 January, 2020 20:23
Quote:
Margin_Walker
I'd stick with Meehan too for what it's worth. He's decent and the problems are mostly elsewhere imo

After years of defending Scottie because of his defence,i think Meehan has developed a great all round game. .I thought Phipps was awful against Scarlets.

cjm. 22 January, 2020 22:51
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
Margin_Walker

After years of defending Scottie because of his defence,i think Meehan has developed a great all round game. .I thought Phipps was awful against Scarlets.

Not a good game to judge on, all but Albert were dreadful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net