Latest news:

Tonights game
Discussion started by cjm. , 24 January, 2020 20:26
Tonights game
cjm. 24 January, 2020 20:26
All going quite well so Meehan decides to be a @#$%&.

Re: Tonights game
Heaf 24 January, 2020 20:28
Clear 3 points maybe more and instead a YC - Irish throwing it away again through stupidity ...

PV 24 January, 2020 20:28
Looks like the fear of relegation has gone and now...

Dominant in first 30

cjm. 24 January, 2020 20:31
Quote:
PV
Looks like the fear of relegation has gone and now...
Dominant in first 30

Having Coleman and Kepu in the there helps.

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 20:34
What is it about our Aussie 9ís and being brain-dead.

Meanwhile their 9 takes advantage.

Meehan you are an IDIOT.

tatthecraic2 24 January, 2020 20:36
Blair Cowan. Best 9 this season

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 20:42
Why the hell donít we give Brand a run of games rather than pick these utterly useless Aussie 9ís.

They are a complete waste of money.

Gazzle 24 January, 2020 20:44
As mentioned Coleman and Kepu class. Not a bad half from Irish. Can maybe feel a bit aggrieved to go in behind. Meehan and idiot, did well without him

Blarney 24 January, 2020 20:47
Been on the end of a couple of very harsh calls from Foley. Two clear blown chances - Cowans drop and Meehans idiocy. We've got to start converting before home pressure starts to tell even more on sir and he pings us off the park.

Exilepaul 24 January, 2020 20:48
Cant imagine Saints being much worse in the 2nd half seriously what is up with the brain dead decisions in this team

Smudge21 24 January, 2020 20:52
Moment of utter madness from meehan has cost us big time this half
On a positive note, how good have porecki, kepu and Blair been

tonyh50 24 January, 2020 20:54
Naholo, slow not chasing kicks and poor tackles - not what we expected from our ĎMarqueeí signing

Heaf 24 January, 2020 20:56
Two iffy tackle off the ball pens - first one their player was just in front of the ball carrier so should have been obstruction ... 2nd one was incredibly harsh to say the least

Tom1215 24 January, 2020 20:58
#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2020 22:09 by Tom1215.

cjm. 24 January, 2020 21:11
Saints have idiots too.

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:16
Missed touch and then knock ons.

Get out of our bloody half FFS.

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:22
Canít Myler kick the ball out?

This is madness.

PV 24 January, 2020 21:28
Moronic 9s

Sleepless in Seattle 24 January, 2020 21:28
We can't keep a scrum-half on the pitch - Phipps on yellow now

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:28
Another Feckin Aussie idiot at 9.

Complete and utter brainless dick heads.

I feel sorry for the forwards.

Our backs, apart from OHC, are a complete set of useless cretins.

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:30
Congratulations Myler.

Another feckin touch missed from a penalty.

I give up.

Gazzle 24 January, 2020 21:31
It's unforgivable

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:36
Absolute joke decision.

Penalty try.

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:37
The ref and TMO are basically totally incompetent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 00:32 by Shawshank.

PV 24 January, 2020 21:37
Foley, what a c***

Gazzle 24 January, 2020 21:37
The team of refs have been awful all night. TMO doesn't help

Heaf 24 January, 2020 21:40
Twice when they've knocked on he's said they regathered it - even when it clearly touched the ground first ...

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:41
Porecki and Blair awesome.

PV 24 January, 2020 21:42
Couldnít not give that. Jaundiced commentary as well. Patronising shoite

PV 24 January, 2020 21:49
BT sport lead commentator is a patronising fool

Alphacat 24 January, 2020 21:50
(Sm152) MOTM Blair Cowan for me

Gazzle 24 January, 2020 21:50
Yipppppppeeeeee! Great stuff 16-20 Irish

cjm. 24 January, 2020 21:51
Tonight was the Porecki/Coleman/Cowan show.

Smudge21 24 January, 2020 21:51
Blair, porecki and Coleman have been absolutley sensational! Happy days!!

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 21:52
Unbelievable

Blair and Dave quite superlative.

Fantastic Forwards completely and utterly bailed out our 9 and 10, who are frankly not fit for purpose.

Heaf 24 January, 2020 21:52
Foley was making up pens - the offside before the yellow was ridiculous as the ruck was about 8m from the halfway line and all the LI players were still behind the 10m line well after the ball was passed ...

PV 24 January, 2020 21:54
Coleman is top top class. Cowan MOTM

memnoch 24 January, 2020 21:54
Fair play Irish you deserved that. Should of had a pen try and Reinach in the bin. Ref was very inconsistent.

Rinkadink 24 January, 2020 21:54
Congratulations from Bris! Played more like you did vs us earlier in the season and again got points.

Overall deserved, wanted it more and brought the physicality which Saints didn't match. Didn't like their soccer style simulation, really need to scrub that from the game ASAP.

Kinalp 24 January, 2020 21:55
What a win take those points all day long - Blair a machine and porecki made a difference

Tom1215 24 January, 2020 21:57
What a win!!! ExilePaul your prediction was wrong... hopefully you can all cheer up now.
Still Meehan needs to have a word with himself.

Nick4219 24 January, 2020 21:57
GET IN THERE!

Great spirit to come back, mistakes were made but they recovered!

Have we turned a corner? Maybe.

Even sweeter as I had to suffer the BBC Northampton Radio commentary for most of it who spent the first 55 minutes stating Northampton would win comfortably.

tatthecraic2 24 January, 2020 21:57
Poreki is class. Has to be first pick from here on.

Also did any pick up the couple of link plays off 9 that Kepu did. Very understated and effective for us to get that next couple of meters. Really though kepu was under the radar very effective.

Naholo first came back... il forgive him hut he really needs to start bringing the fire power

Tom1215 24 January, 2020 21:57
Coleman, Cowan and Porecki were outstanding.

Jonny_C 24 January, 2020 22:03
In hindsight, some of you need to calm down and voice your opinions after the final whistle.
These comments on the message board are here for ever, barring a nuclear war.

Well done the team for sticking at it.

Smudge21 24 January, 2020 22:07
A word for a couple of unsung heroes, rona had his best game for us and Stokes was a lot more comfortable at full back.
Just need to get paddy back to really get the backline moving

cjm. 24 January, 2020 22:09
Quote:
Jonny_C
In hindsight, some of you need to calm down and voice your opinions after the final whistle.

No. We don't. And they aren't.

Tom1215 24 January, 2020 22:10
Big step up from Stokes tonight. Fair play to him hopefully he can push on again now.

M51 24 January, 2020 22:13
Expected the worse but loved the Irish effort (especially the forwards) and thought a point return would be good. Well done Irish and Blair Cowan. Fantastic win.
COYI
M51

paddym 24 January, 2020 22:14
Quote:
Shawshank
Why the hell donít we give Brand a run of games rather than pick these utterly useless Aussie 9ís.
They are a complete waste of money.

On the bench for London Scottish tonight against Ealing

Jonny_C 24 January, 2020 22:15
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Jonny_C

Perhaps if the TV cameras covered your working day, your mistakes could be criticised in a public forum.

Heaf 24 January, 2020 22:15
Still can't work out how the ref decided that wasn't a high tackle to prevent the try - almost identical to one he gave against Irish down the other end .... either both were or neither were.

Shawshank 24 January, 2020 22:18
Johnny C

You need to treat all in-match comments as if we are all standing on the terraces with our mates watching the game, letting off steam.

None of it is really serious...(Sm100)

cjm. 24 January, 2020 22:20
Quote:
Jonny_C
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Jonny_C

Perhaps if the TV cameras covered your working day, your mistakes could be criticised in a public forum.

If my auntie had testicles...

What a crock.

JamesC 24 January, 2020 22:26
Stunning result. 4-1 win away.

mackemII 24 January, 2020 22:30
Didn't watch the game, I feel I'm a jinx when we're live on the box but looking forward to watching the recording tomorrow. If Mr Foley made wrong decisions, as commented upon on this thread, I would like to think that his assessor this evening points it out in his report. But hey, we won and our games refereed by Messrs Maybank, Debney, Rose and Wavy Davey are in the dim and distant past. Onwards and upwards!

Blarney 24 January, 2020 22:30
Cowan, Porecki, Coleman, Kepu - superb.

On the theme of unsung heroes, I agree about Rona - solidly brilliant. 13 is his best decision and he is our best 13. Also think Rogerson brings fantastic balance to our back row, he tackles and carries tirelessly. Also Elrington - didn't get a single mention till Ratunyarawa shouldered his nose but he scrummage solidly and tackled hard.

A final word to Hassel-Collins. 21 years old and not only was he a genuine threat down the left but he put a man twice he kept "Big T" in his pocket all night - huge guts and commitment.

As for Mr Foley - shocking. Human error I understand but he was actively looking for a reason to let Reinach off the high tackle.

M51 24 January, 2020 22:31
Absolutely delighted with the Irish win. COYI

Re: Tonightís game
Digger for President 24 January, 2020 22:42
Thatís better.

andysaint 24 January, 2020 22:43
Congratulations. Irish well and truly worked out Saints and we did not have an answer and could not break down the defence.

The less said about the officials the better I think both sides have cause for complaint.

Better team on the night won.

LI Bohemian 24 January, 2020 22:52
The tackle that Smyler performed which was penalised with a kickable pen was below the shoulders, the one to stop OHC scoring was high an a definite penalty try, I'm glad we won despite the short comings of the officials, O think most the team, apart from the @#$%& halves, played well, but it was the way we battled to the end that pleased me most, Franklins Garden is a tough place with a very partisan crowd.

Unreliable Witness
no17 24 January, 2020 22:59
Shawshank would be your man.

NMB 24 January, 2020 23:24
Every time we put in a good performance and get the result Cowan is at the forefront, picking up the MOTM and dwarfing everyone else with his stats, he is our most consistent performer and topping the Prem stats on tackles and turnovers which is no mean feat considering the talent in the league!

As others have said Porecki (by a mile our best hooker), coleman, Kepu and Rona all had good games but I have to second Blarneys point on OHC, his defensive work was brilliant against guys twice his size, once smashing Harrison as well, he scored another try (should of been 2) and looked like our best attacking threat all game.

At 21 he is becoming a very exciting prospect and is taking his opportunity well.

So very pleased with the performance and the result. Agree that this needs to be the benchmark now, something to build on with hopefully a handful of key players back in a few weeks

Davenport Sharky 24 January, 2020 23:46
Great game and well done. Ref team had a shocker. Donít think it was a red for their second row and you should have had a penalty try and Reinach in the bin. 2 of the Saints players could both have seen cards for reckless clearouts. Your fullback, hooker and Something-Collins all had very good games. Scrum halves were bonkers and Myler hopeless.

Alphacat 25 January, 2020 00:21
Maybe I am just being overly optimistic but I think top 6 might be achievable - 13 games left - I think 7 or 8 of those are winnable if the team can perform, which would put us right in the middle of the table based on previous seasons' standings...

ExiledChameleon 25 January, 2020 00:25
Quote:
Alphacat
Maybe I am just being overly optimistic but I think top 6 might be achievable - 13 games left - I think 7 or 8 of those are winnable if the team can perform, which would put us right in the middle of the table based on previous seasons' standings...

Quins in 6N, Glaws at Home, then Wasps away up next. All 3 are winnable if we bring the same level of raw physicality. In the 6N period we have the power to outmuscle all bar Exeter.

Heaf 25 January, 2020 00:56
I thought we played Wasps away first match?

Alphacat 25 January, 2020 00:58
Quote:
Heaf
I thought we played Wasps away first match?

Yeah, it's Wasps at home this time.

mackemII 25 January, 2020 01:21
If Austin Healey had been the ref tonight and Ben Kay TMO, it would have been a penalty try.

ExiledChameleon 25 January, 2020 01:25
Quote:
NMB
Every time we put in a good performance and get the result Cowan is at the forefront, picking up the MOTM and dwarfing everyone else with his stats, he is our most consistent performer and topping the Prem stats on tackles and turnovers which is no mean feat considering the talent in the league!
As others have said Porecki (by a mile our best hooker), coleman, Kepu and Rona all had good games but I have to second Blarneys point on OHC, his defensive work was brilliant against guys twice his size, once smashing Harrison as well, he scored another try (should of been 2) and looked like our best attacking threat all game.

At 21 he is becoming a very exciting prospect and is taking his opportunity well.

So very pleased with the performance and the result. Agree that this needs to be the benchmark now, something to build on with hopefully a handful of key players back in a few weeks

Cowan is ridiculous. I have to admit up until this year I thought that his light was fading, but he's turned in some incredible performances this year. And yes, notably when Cowan goes mad dog the rest of the team steps up with him (with perhaps the exception of Worcester). In that defensive stand around 50-57 minutes where he made 6 tackles of a 22 phase Saints attack he was incredible, and on top of tackling he was jackaling and slowing down their ball. Consistently throughout the season, even in lost games Cowan puts in his all, and is very close to ensuring his status in the top tier of London Irish legends. The epitome of leading by example.

To put it into context, Blair Cowan has made 158 tackles this season. 2nd place has made 123. 5 players have passed 100. So Blair Cowan has made 160% the number of tackles of every single player in the league bar 5 (albeit with 12% more games). Decent SH as well.

Coleman has been very good, I believe that he's now made 5 league chargedowns, and today he was all over the place, made a tonne of tackles and popped up at the right time. We're paying him an awful lot, but getting an awful lot in return. Delighted to see that he's getting stuck in. Botha-Coleman will clearly be the best 2nd row partnership in the Prem next year.

Porecki huh, pretty good at rugby, to the surprise of no-one who has seen him play. Clearly our best hooker, and fully deserved the try at the end of 80 tough minutes. Set up the 2nd try as well with an accurate pass. Quite a few barnstorming runs.

Kepu, Rona, were both very good. Kepu did lots of little layups after half breaks, while Rona wasn't afraid to step on it. Both lead to significant attacking breakthroughs. I was very skeptical about Kepu before he arrived, but if he keeps this up then he's an excellent hire.

Rogerson, Tuisue, Heps, Elrington, FvdM, Hoskins all gave a decent account of themselves. Heps Rona is clearly our best centre combo. Big enough runners to fix defenders to give the outside backs some space.

Naholo, Phipps and Meehan... Naholo didn't make any mistakes, and made a couple decent runs, but wasn't up to his world class standard. Although I don't know many people who can perform to a world class standard given a new child and jet lag, benefit of doubt. He did have Naiyaravoro on his wing and kept him somewhat quiet, which was a decent achievement. I'm willing to go on a kg for kg Jan/Feb diet with him.

Phipps and Meehan though? What tf?

OHC was superb, should have had two tries. OHC, Loader, and Naholo is a ridiculous selection for wingers. His kick to win the 5m scrum was perfect. Both Loader and OHC are putting in far better performances than Cokanasiga did two years ago.

I barely heard Elrington's name. Against the Franks that's a decent job. He was recipient of quite a few cheap shots from Saints.

As for the refs... Meehan should have been a red. They should have got a red for punches after. Reinach clearly made a high tackle on OHC, easiest yellow and PT you'll ever see. They also missed a lot of swinging arms and general thuggery from Saints (albeit probably prompted by Meehan's idiocy), particularly around the last turnover, and Wood rolling Elrington in the scrum.

It's nice to see us outmuscle then outpace opponents. The next three games are very winnable, get two of them won and we will have made up for the Bath and Worcester shockers. Our ceiling is as high as any other team in the league, we just need to figure out how to get there consistently.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 02:50 by ExiledChameleon.

cob 25 January, 2020 02:23
Was there last win. Same day Ireland beat Australia in world cup 2003. O'Neills Euston road 8am ko. Not surr what time ended but ha a lift in a Green van with a Shamrock on heh ho

Bit worrying Blair our best 9 what a fella

Bainim fiŠin Rover-cťn fŠth a stopadh anois?

bigbitty 25 January, 2020 08:30
According to the next match countdown we are playing them again today.

Do you think the result will be different?

shimmieandshake 25 January, 2020 08:48
Coleman is a stunning player. Seems to win every collision in attack and defence. Such a competitor, would be horrible to play against him.

As many have said, Cowan and Porecki excellent.

Of the less heralded, Hepetema went really well again and Rogerson had a very good game. Lots of yards. I thought Franco might be over the hill before this season, but I was wrong about that - he seems to be a vital part of the side.

I think we've got so used to Albert being brilliant that less praise today, but made yards again. I'd still be tempted to rest him for a week, let him regenerate. He's not quite as powerful as start of season and a short break might help.

Hasn't been said much, but a big shout out to Stokes as well. Solid under the high ball, a good kicking game, makes his tackles - there was an especially memorable one on Naiyonavoro going through the gears - and started coming into the line more and backing himself to attack. He was under pressure and fronted up.

Interested to see what people think re: Myler? I think he's a great professional but we need to, when he's fit, start playing Jackson at 10 to play more attacking rugby.

Blarney 25 January, 2020 09:09
Myler didnt seem to have that much impact on our play - but that may be because our game plan was to play off 9. The stat that BT showed was telling - 86% of our play went through scrum half.

Myler made his tackles and his kicks. He was also very vocal in his organisation and kept his head about him to use up the last few seconds and ensure the win. It should also be remembered that Meehan was giving rather inconsistent service from the base, sometimes quick sometimes pausing for no reason.

Sans Culottes 25 January, 2020 09:41
Quote:
Gazzle
The team of refs have been awful all night. TMO doesn't help

I think we agree with you Gazzle.

COYS

Steelman 25 January, 2020 09:42
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Coleman is a stunning player. Seems to win every collision in attack and defence. Such a competitor, would be horrible to play against him.
As many have said, Cowan and Porecki excellent.

Of the less heralded, Hepetema went really well again and Rogerson had a very good game. Lots of yards. I thought Franco might be over the hill before this season, but I was wrong about that - he seems to be a vital part of the side.

I think we've got so used to Albert being brilliant that less praise today, but made yards again. I'd still be tempted to rest him for a week, let him regenerate. He's not quite as powerful as start of season and a short break might help.

Hasn't been said much, but a big shout out to Stokes as well. Solid under the high ball, a good kicking game, makes his tackles - there was an especially memorable one on Naiyonavoro going through the gears - and started coming into the line more and backing himself to attack. He was under pressure and fronted up.

Interested to see what people think re: Myler? I think he's a great professional but we need to, when he's fit, start playing Jackson at 10 to play more attacking rugby.

Regarding Smyler,he was a wonderful signing after many dismal 10s.The most significant points being that he kicks his kicks,and no one but no one runs through him and he is always fit to play and they are true qualities in a team trying to survive..Get another couple of wins under the teams belt and then try to integrate the showman,but don't be surprised if Smyler ups his game ,much like Cowans,,,,,how good has he been!

Sans Culottes 25 January, 2020 09:45
Quote:
mackemII
If Austin Healey had been the ref tonight and Ben Kay TMO, it would have been a penalty try.

Agreed. However, if they had been, I think it would have been a red for your scrummies tip tackle, and our lock would have stayed on the pitch too.

Hey ho. Poor ref team all round

mackemII 25 January, 2020 10:27
Quote:
Sans Culottes
Quote:
mackemII

Agreed. However, if they had been, I think it would have been a red for your scrummies tip tackle, and our lock would have stayed on the pitch too.

Hey ho. Poor ref team all round

Agree with that, totally baffled why he did that after ref had blown for penalty under the posts.

Straightout 25 January, 2020 10:42
Cov fan here in peace.. James Stokes left us for you a few week ago and have read the constant barrage of insults about him.. understand he had a v poor debut after arriving on the Wednesday before the game but hopefully he will be accepted by you guys as one of your own and you will get behind him. He is a lovely/top guy, a try machine at the lower level who is finding is feet at the top table. Scored 30 odd tries a season when fit for us, sometimes 4 a game in champ but clearly itís a big step up playing against international players.. he may not make it and will be a squad player when your best players are fit but get behind him like the great Irish family you are.. the comments are treating him like an outcast. He is a great guy and needs your support. Well done on a great win! Loved your fans visiting our place.. one day we may get back up there.. if we can bump wasps off, who are nothing to do with Coventry.. good luck for rest of season!

shimmieandshake 25 January, 2020 10:44
Just to clarify, I'm a big fan of Myler. Agree that he's exactly what we've needed after many inconsistent 10s who are wayward from the tee, great pro, good organiser.

I guess the point is I think our ceiling is higher with more of a ball player like Jackson at 10. Myler is very good at what he does, which fits our current style, but if we want to evolve/progress our style of play we might have to reconsider, and given no relegation, it might not be the worst time to do that so we find the flow and rhythm before next season.

Then again, after an excellent performance last night, maybe this is the wrong thread for that discussion!

Blarney 25 January, 2020 11:43
Somethings been bothering me about this "first win at FG in 15 years" stat that BT made so much of. I'm sure I remember watching us win there more recently, when Kennedy scored a try after a monster break by the Hoff.

So I checked it out and, yes, we won at FG 13-14 on 17/9/2011. Pretty shoddy fact checking by BT - clearly they wanted a pithy soundbite to hype up the drama.

Here's Kendo's try:

[youtu.be]

SixNineOne 25 January, 2020 12:19
Quote:
Straightout
Cov fan here in peace.. James Stokes left us for you a few week ago and have read the constant barrage of insults about him.. understand he had a v poor debut after arriving on the Wednesday before the game but hopefully he will be accepted by you guys as one of your own and you will get behind him. He is a lovely/top guy, a try machine at the lower level who is finding is feet at the top table. Scored 30 odd tries a season when fit for us, sometimes 4 a game in champ but clearly itís a big step up playing against international players.. he may not make it and will be a squad player when your best players are fit but get behind him like the great Irish family you are.. the comments are treating him like an outcast. He is a great guy and needs your support. Well done on a great win! Loved your fans visiting our place.. one day we may get back up there.. if we can bump wasps off, who are nothing to do with Coventry.. good luck for rest of season!
One of the sad things about this message board is that some contributors can be unnecessarily vicious in their comments about individual players without thinking about the playerís own circumstances. In my view, using statements like: ďtheyíre professionalsĒ to justify their vitriol just donít wash.
Straightout, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about Stokes. I think he had a very decent game at Franklinís Gardens and itís great to see him finding his feet. He did everything that was asked of him without putting a foot wrong. His confidence is growing with each game and if heís half as good as all the Cov fans tell us, it would be great to see him stretching his legs more in attack.

cjm. 25 January, 2020 13:06
Quote:
SixNineOne
Quote:
Straightout
One of the sad things about this message board is that some contributors can be unnecessarily vicious in their comments about individual players without thinking about the playerís own circumstances. In my view, using statements like: ďtheyíre professionalsĒ to justify their vitriol just donít wash.
Straightout, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about Stokes. I think he had a very decent game at Franklinís Gardens and itís great to see him finding his feet. He did everything that was asked of him without putting a foot wrong. His confidence is growing with each game and if heís half as good as all the Cov fans tell us, it would be great to see him stretching his legs more in attack.

Won't someone think of the children!!

Stokes was improved last night ( so was the whole team which helps ) but if you don't think he put a foot wrong then you weren't paying attention.

Exile_Dave 25 January, 2020 13:21
Quote:
Blarney
Somethings been bothering me about this "first win at FG in 15 years" stat that BT made so much of. I'm sure I remember watching us win there more recently, when Kennedy scored a try after a monster break by the Hoff.
So I checked it out and, yes, we won at FG 13-14 on 17/9/2011. Pretty shoddy fact checking by BT - clearly they wanted a pithy soundbite to hype up the drama.

Here's Kendo's try:

[youtu.be]

Contact bt

Shawshank 25 January, 2020 13:28
We also 'won' another won at FG after that, but the ref chalked off a perfectly legitimate Skivs late try under the posts...(Sm16)

Steelman 25 January, 2020 13:41
Quote:
Straightout

Hi Cov,,yep poor James Stokes got a pretty poor welcome on here after his
Nightmare debut,after a couple of days training.Understand though it was nothing personal,just pure frustration that for many seasons we have lacked the brick outhouse with the long stride playing at 15,Carney would have been ideal.We could only dream of the towering presence under the high ball,the lump of granite at the back. All we've had for years is nice footballers⚽️ filling in. So rest assured that we are just dying to love anyone who can step in and consolidate.Lets hope it's James Stokes.
Good to see Cov going well,a proper rugby club.👏🏻

SixNineOne 25 January, 2020 13:57
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
SixNineOne
Quote:
Straightout

Won't someone think of the children!!

Stokes was improved last night ( so was the whole team which helps ) but if you don't think he put a foot wrong then you weren't paying attention.

I was sitting in the Churchís stand on the half-way line, and from what I could see Stokes played very well - perhaps the tv audience was able to see shortcomings in his game that were less visible to me...

In praising him I did assume, however, that had he put a foot wrong the contributors on this site would have already been quick to point it out to all of us....

ExiledChameleon 25 January, 2020 14:53
Stokes dealt with one bouncing ball badly, and did one kick that bounced in play by about 2 cm. Otherwise he was absolutely fine, and helped keep their back 3 quiet. From an emergency cover 15 that's all you can hope for in the first few weeks. Hopefully he'll continue to gain understanding with the other backs to link into attacks.

As for 10. Why not Vetokani? Vetokani is Fiji's 2nd best fly half, and played some amazing rugby for the Drua there, yet we haven't given him a chance at his preferred position.

Blarney 25 January, 2020 14:57
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Stokes dealt with one bouncing ball badly, and did one kick that bounced in play by about 2 cm. Otherwise he was absolutely fine, and helped keep their back 3 quiet. From an emergency cover 15 that's all you can hope for in the first few weeks. Hopefully he'll continue to gain understanding with the other backs to link into attacks.
As for 10. Why not Vetokani? Vetokani is Fiji's 2nd best fly half, and played some amazing rugby for the Drua there, yet we haven't given him a chance at his preferred position.

The Drua play in what is essentially the Australian version of the championship. He looked good at 10 against semi pro teams but I wouldn't want to risk him against premiership defences. I think Freddie's got talent and is worth a go at 15 with a solid defensive line in front of him so that he doesnt have to make too many tackles.

Nick4219 25 January, 2020 19:10
Quote:
Blarney

Here's Kendo's try:

[youtu.be]

Also BT commentary today at the start of the Bristol v Glaws game, they stated Bristol were the only Prem team not to have a player in the England 6N squad.

Pretty sure we donít either?

Alphacat 25 January, 2020 19:44
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Blarney

Here's Kendo's try:

[youtu.be]

Also BT commentary today at the start of the Bristol v Glaws game, they stated Bristol were the only Prem team not to have a player in the England 6N squad.

Pretty sure we donít either?

[www.englandrugby.com]

Only reason I can think they said this is that they saw "11 clubs" and that Bristol weren't contributing, therefore they must be the only team without England players, forgetting about Newcastle.

Florida 25 January, 2020 20:20
Quote:
Blarney
Quote:
ExiledChameleon

The Drua play in what is essentially the Australian version of the championship. He looked good at 10 against semi pro teams but I wouldn't want to risk him against premiership defences. I think Freddie's got talent and is worth a go at 15 with a solid defensive line in front of him so that he doesnt have to make too many tackles.

What league did Marcus Smith play in before he started carving open premiership sides?

jimbo800 25 January, 2020 20:23
He was at school

dooj106 25 January, 2020 20:35
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Quote:
Blarney

Here's Kendo's try:

[youtu.be]

Contact bt

Wasn't able to watch the game last night, but the YouTube highlights said 2nd time in 15 yrs.

SixNineOne 26 January, 2020 12:36
I had an interesting thought as I was sitting in the stands at Franklinís Gardens waiting for kick-off. A group of Saints fans nearby were weighing up the relative strengths of the teams and concluded that they were pretty confident they were going to get a win. I should emphasise that this wasnít said with any apparent arrogance and they certainly respected our team (obviously they were disappointed at the end of the game, but took the result in good part...) Listening to them, it struck me that in the 16 years Iíve been going to London Irish games in the Premiership Iím not sure that Iíve ever been tempted to say that I was pretty confident we were going to win - it must be a very nice feeling...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2020 13:05 by SixNineOne.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net