Latest news:

Entertainment Value
Discussion started by irishboy_1995 , 25 January, 2020 12:02
Entertainment Value
irishboy_1995 25 January, 2020 12:02
We are obviously all on cloud 9 this morning but it's amazing that we were a clear seatbelt tackle away from getting yet another try bonus point meaning 5 points at Franklin's gardens, apparently we dont have any attack but have scored 21 try's 10 more than Worcester and 3 less than runaway leaders Exeter I cant imagine were this squad could go if we cut out the needless penalties and cards

Re: Entertainment Value
Florida 25 January, 2020 12:04
That seatbelt tackle try would have been our 3rd try, no one knows what would have happened post that.

cjm. 25 January, 2020 13:08
Quote:
irishboy_1995
We are obviously all on cloud 9 this morning but it's amazing that we were a clear seatbelt tackle away from getting yet another try bonus point meaning 5 points at Franklin's gardens, apparently we dont have any attack but have scored 21 try's 10 more than Worcester and 3 less than runaway leaders Exeter I cant imagine were this squad could go if we cut out the needless penalties and cards

to me it wasn't a clear seatbelt tackle. He grabbed the shoulder but didn't put his arm over. Neither that tackle or the one on Myler should have been a penalty IMO.

Shawshank 25 January, 2020 13:25
Hand went round the shoulder initially and then rode up to the neck, clearly impeding OHC as he went for the line.

Their 9 was only able to dislodge the ball from OHC's grasp due to this initial foul.

Even the ref in his talk with the TMO initially said it was foul play, and then when they both realised they would have to award a penalty try and possibly another (Sm20) or at least a (Sm21) at the Gardens, and both then completely bottled it and started rowing back...

PV 25 January, 2020 14:00
Cowardly decision and a poor performance from the referee last night. I still canít get over how patronising and one-eyed the commentary was as well.

Finno 25 January, 2020 14:02
Quote:
PV
I still canít get over how patronising and one-eyed the commentary was as well.

I couldn't agree more!!

Heaf 25 January, 2020 14:07
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995

to me it wasn't a clear seatbelt tackle. He grabbed the shoulder but didn't put his arm over. Neither that tackle or the one on Myler should have been a penalty IMO.

He even tried to invent a non-existent obstruction in the build up to avoid making a decision on the 'try' ...

HK Phooey 25 January, 2020 15:12
But we did get more than a minute to take the final conversion which I realise this does seem to be the norm now, but had it been the other way around I'm sure we would not be too happy to have had a final chance taken awsy

cjm. 25 January, 2020 15:13
Quote:
Heaf
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
irishboy_1995

He even tried to invent a non-existent obstruction in the build up to avoid making a decision on the 'try' ...

IIRC he hand his hand on his shoulder and pulled him back. I wouldn't count that as a seat belt tackle where the arm is over like a seat belt. Don't know what the letter of the law is.

Heaf 25 January, 2020 15:17
Quote:
HK Phooey
But we did get more than a minute to take the final conversion which I realise this does seem to be the norm now, but had it been the other way around I'm sure we would not be too happy to have had a final chance taken awsy

You have 90 seconds for a conversion .... it's 60 for a penalty.

Sans Culottes 25 January, 2020 15:42
Quote:
Heaf
Quote:
HK Phooey

And the try was scored with 1.32 to go. Yet Foley looked at the clock at 1.29 and advised Mr Myler to run the clock to zero before kicking if he wanted to end the game.

mackemII 25 January, 2020 15:55
Quote:
Sans Culottes
Quote:
Heaf
Quote:
HK Phooey

And the try was scored with 1.32 to go. Yet Foley looked at the clock at 1.29 and advised Mr Myler to run the clock to zero before kicking if he wanted to end the game.

For those who remember the inconsistent wendyball referee Uriah Rennie, they could give Foley a career break in the second tier.

Heaf 25 January, 2020 15:57
Assuming the TV clock is the same as the official clock - presumably he got the time from the TMO?

However if not it wouldn't be the only thing he got wrong last night and if there had been a restart I think the chances of LI scoring again were higher than Saints getting a try.

I do agree him telling Smyler about waiting to kick was a bit odd, unless he'd been asked a question we didn't hear of course.

GMC_LI 25 January, 2020 20:49
Checking back on the commentary, the words 1:29 were made by one of the officials across their collective microphones, clearly heard on the live TV stream. Thus, you may reasonably assume that this allowed the referee to advise Myler that he had sufficient time to take his conversion and end the game. Unusual assistance, but itís done now and we move on.

GHA 26 January, 2020 08:55
Quote:
GMC_LI
Unusual assistance, but itís done now and we move on.

There were a lot of decisions overall by the officials that could be dissected whether you were an Irish fan or a Northampton fan. But if I was a Northampton fan (or if it had been the other way around) I would be fuming at this 'assistance.' Myler didn't ask - he said 'sorry?' and moved towards the ref to hear better when he first told him he could run the clock down, which shows he hadn't asked a question and was then waiting for an answer. It's never the referee's job to provide information like that without being asked first... it's the line between information through response and assistance that he crossed there in my opinion.

Heaf 26 January, 2020 12:38
Maybe someone else asked him to tell Smyler - bit of a long shot but possible. Does seem odd he'd just offer it without some prompting ...

SixNineOne 26 January, 2020 12:47
I recall a game against Saints at MadStad when Irish were leading at full time. When Paul Hodgson (I think) asked the ref if time was up the ref said yes, so Hodgson kicked the ball into touch. Ben Cohen (yes, it was a while ago...) grabbed the ball, threw in to himself and ran down the pitch to score the ďwinningĒ try. The ref allowed this to stand, notwithstanding the guidance heíd given to Hodgson. This incident still sticks in the memory, so I canít get too upset if the refís guidance on Friday turned out to be to our advantage.

GHA 26 January, 2020 13:59
Quote:
SixNineOne
I recall a game against Saints at MadStad when Irish were leading at full time. When Paul Hodgson (I think) asked the ref if time was up the ref said yes, so Hodgson kicked the ball into touch. Ben Cohen (yes, it was a while ago...) grabbed the ball, threw in to himself and ran down the pitch to score the ďwinningĒ try. The ref allowed this to stand, notwithstanding the guidance heíd given to Hodgson. This incident still sticks in the memory, so I canít get too upset if the refís guidance on Friday turned out to be to our advantage.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Presumably this?

SixNineOne 26 January, 2020 19:34
Thatís pretty impressive to be able to dig out the report! Iím surprised there was no reference to the exchange between Flutey (not Hodgson) and the ref which was clearly visible to us spectators. Whether my recollection is flawed or not, Iíve managed to carry the grudge for the last 15 years, so I felt a glimmer of grim satisfaction about the timing of that last kick on Friday!

mackemII 26 January, 2020 20:57
I was at that game at Northampton. If I remember correctly, wasn't that the first game that the countdown clock was meant to be operational but for some reason it wasn't working or perhaps it had stopped working? I'm sure Mike Catt was playing in that match and was questioning Chris White how long was left and was throwing his arms up in despair. Even though Ben Cohen brought the scores level at 23-23, Bruce Reihana had a difficult kick to convert. To be fair, it was a brilliant conversion which left us dropping our heads in our hands and it was the last kick of the game. Saints fans around us were sympathetic though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net