Latest news:

Defense
Discussion started by Smudge21 , 27 January, 2020 23:20
Defense
Smudge21 27 January, 2020 23:20
[twitter.com]
A really interesting bit of analysis, coaching staff certainly did their homework on saints

Re: Defense
ExiledChameleon 28 January, 2020 01:01
Our defence is absolutely top notch... sometimes. I don't understand why it varies so much.

Attack I understand - we rely on physical domination in the midfield and moments of magic from Naholo/Loader/OHC/Rona, but defence should surely be a constant. Yet Bath, Exeter, Sale just completely demolished it, while others really struggle.

Anyway, I've had a little look at our centre partnerships, and we've only won games under one of them:

3-1 Heps - Rona: Wasps (+3), Sale (-34), Leicester (+25), Saints (+4)

0-3 Step - Rona: Sarries (-3), Wuss (-14*), Exeter (-17)

0-1-1 Hep - Step: Bris (0*), Bath (-28)

LI Bohemian 28 January, 2020 08:33
I think you may have unfairly oversimplified the defense, I would say that you would need midfield first phase line break stats to decide what center pairing have the best defensive, I would say a weaker back three is just as much to blame for conceding points.

Florida 28 January, 2020 09:26
As to why it varies I'd imagine it's because it's a relatively new team coming together with a new defense coach to boot. It's certainly not helped by the constant changing of positions (Rona for example), hopefully, injuries permitting, they can stick with this team and start building on Fridays performance.

cjm. 28 January, 2020 10:26
"Our defence is absolutely top notch... sometimes. I don't understand why it varies so much".

Not sure I can reconcile this sentence. The fact is our defence has been patchy to say the least. The biggest howler, IIRC, though have been from quick play right through our soft centre. And when one happens we seem to lose our heads and let it happen again.

So it may be our slow reactions and responses to the more maverick plays, rather than our structured approach to a structured attack, that kill us.

Blarney 28 January, 2020 10:55
I've said before that Hepetema and Rona are key for us. When they are at 12 and 13 both the defense and attack are improved. Neither are eye-catching but they're both strong, reasonably quick, can pass well and clear out rucks effectively.

The main question with the back line is when Jackson is fit again. Do we pick him over Myler at 10 (potentially better attack but less reliable goal kicking)? Or do we put him back at fullback (defensively sound and another playmaking/kicking option - though not the threat of Parton)?

Smudge21 28 January, 2020 11:31
Quote:
Blarney
I've said before that Hepetema and Rona are key for us. When they are at 12 and 13 both the defense and attack are improved. Neither are eye-catching but they're both strong, reasonably quick, can pass well and clear out rucks effectively.
The main question with the back line is when Jackson is fit again. Do we pick him over Myler at 10 (potentially better attack but less reliable goal kicking)? Or do we put him back at fullback (defensively sound and another playmaking/kicking option - though not the threat of Parton)?

Jackson at 10 without doubt for me

GHA 28 January, 2020 12:02
Quote:
Smudge21
Jackson at 10 without doubt for me

Yep, me too. His goal kicking is good enough - we're in the business of tries these days cool smiley

LI Bohemian 28 January, 2020 13:31
Quote:
cjm.
"Our defence is absolutely top notch... sometimes. I don't understand why it varies so much".
Not sure I can reconcile this sentence. The fact is our defence has been patchy to say the least. The biggest howler, IIRC, though have been from quick play right through our soft centre. And when one happens we seem to lose our heads and let it happen again.

So it may be our slow reactions and responses to the more maverick plays, rather than our structured approach to a structured attack, that kill us.

The defense as you say has been very unpredictable, in such a way, that it can be well drilled when we win and non-existent when we lose, apart from the sarries game and Bayonne at home game, I think they went against that pattern, as we defended well and lost at Sarries, defended poorly and won against Bayonne.

I think that the days of centres being the main representation of defense are long gone, it is an all encompassing strategy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net