Latest news:

The Championship in Trouble
Discussion started by Clontarf , 12 February, 2020 09:57
The Championship in Trouble
Clontarf 12 February, 2020 09:57
The Championship in trouble or ring fencing by the back door.

[www.theguardian.com]

Dastardly deeds afoot.

Re: The Championship in Trouble
tatthecraic2 12 February, 2020 10:47
Just had this come up in my feed, I feel its probably the RFU pulling out to get ready for Ring Fencing... its shocking really. although I don't know what they think this will achieve.

50% reduction in funding is almost unheard of

nimblehippo 12 February, 2020 11:14
Would be interesting to know how the players feel about this. Already been chat about how salary cap is forcing players out of the prem, and if there is no decent league below, then it might not be in their best interests. With less funding, they can't support a fully pro side.

Shawshank 12 February, 2020 11:14
The reality is that a cut of about £250k per season is not going to really affect any club with ambitions to join the Premiership (eg. Pirates or Ealing).

But it will remove a pretty large layer of full-time 'journeymen pros' from the game - who will need to go back to being semi-pros and keep up another job.

No bad thing really - imagine currently being a 30 year-old guy who has played Championship all your professional life without having a proper job to fall back on...

As the vast majority of England players now come thru' the Premiership Clubs/Academies set up it shouldn't really affect the national teams.

PV 12 February, 2020 12:36
Weíll be regionally franchised in no time at all. 8 pro clubs, the rest back to the good old amateur days....

Shawshank 12 February, 2020 12:45
PV - is this prediction similar to your 'no relegation this season' promise...? (Sm151)

PV 12 February, 2020 13:04
Well I wasnít wrong was I - until Sarries @#$%& it

I put that in bucket of extenuating circumstances...

Lazyboy346 12 February, 2020 15:01
Not a good reflection on rugby in England.

On a more cyclical note, this might also be seen as giving Premiership clubs the whip hand to sign Championship players at similar wages as they can offer stability. You could build a deep moneyball side doing that with a few marquee and big name players in key positions, and have enough bodies to have Saracens style depth without breaking the cap.

SixNineOne 12 February, 2020 16:07
Quote:
Shawshank
The reality is that a cut of about £250k per season is not going to really affect any club with ambitions to join the Premiership (eg. Pirates or Ealing).
But it will remove a pretty large layer of full-time 'journeymen pros' from the game - who will need to go back to being semi-pros and keep up another job.

No bad thing really - imagine currently being a 30 year-old guy who has played Championship all your professional life without having a proper job to fall back on...

As the vast majority of England players now come thru' the Premiership Clubs/Academies set up it shouldn't really affect the national teams.
I can fully see the logic of what you say, Shawshank, but having spent last season enjoying myself visiting most of the grounds in the Championship, I can't help feeling this is a big kick in the teeth for both the clubs and their supporters. Ealing and Pirates might be able to weather it and keep their Premiership hopes alive (subject to how ring fencing finally turns out) but it will be a major setback for the likes of Coventry who have developed well in recent years and who ultimately might have made a bid for the top flight, as well as for mid-ranking clubs like Nottingham. As for Yorkshire Carnegie, this is likely to be the final nail in a coffin that's pretty well nailed down already, more's the shame.
If the Premiership is going to argue that their A league programme is really the second tier of professional rugby, then the league needs to be much better organised and and marketed. At the moment it seems merely to be a vehicle to give game time to squad members.

waltham 13 February, 2020 10:39
What makes you think Pirates could weather this? - Didn't they have to sell their stadium a few seasons ago to keep going?

Shawshank 13 February, 2020 12:14
Pirates have got all their ducks in a row now for their new Cornwall Stadium Devpt - so I doubt £250k per season less in funding will affect them.

Mrs Woll 14 February, 2020 09:43
Quote:
waltham
What makes you think Pirates could weather this? - Didn't they have to sell their stadium a few seasons ago to keep going?
(Pirates fan in peace) Nope, not us. Our ground in Penzance is owned by Cornwal Council; the club only owns the clubhouse. The Stadium (which will be in Truro), which is in final stages of putting ducks in their rows, will go ahead regardless, according to our owner Dicky Evans.

Cornwall needs a Stadium, for health, for wealth, for Cornish pride. Sportva Kernow now!
Facebook/Twitter event: [www.facebook.com]
Follow it on Twitter: [twitter.com]
Like it on Facebook: [facebook.com]

waltham 14 February, 2020 16:13
Quote:
Mrs Woll
Quote:
waltham
(Pirates fan in peace) Nope, not us. Our ground in Penzance is owned by Cornwal Council; the club only owns the clubhouse. The Stadium (which will be in Truro), which is in final stages of putting ducks in their rows, will go ahead regardless, according to our owner Dicky Evans.

Apologies indeed - My error! I was thinking of Jersey who did have to sell their stadium: however I see they've bought it back after receiving a loan...

Pirates new stadium looks really exciting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net