Latest news:

Could we get top 4/6?
Discussion started by irishboy_1995 , 14 February, 2020 23:28
Could we get top 4/6?
irishboy_1995 14 February, 2020 23:28
With pretty much a full team now, a decent run of games coming up and a good run of games to finish the season and no one outside Exeter and maybe Sale looking consistent I dont see why not? Top 6 is defiently up for grabs considering its essentially an 11 team league now

Re: Could we get top 4/6?
Alphacat 15 February, 2020 00:28
Feel like the team is very inconsistent - we have good performances and then a number of very poor ones.

I feel like the following games are winnable (in bold):
Away vs Quins
Home vs Gloucester
Home vs Wasps

Away vs Sale
Away vs Bath
Home vs Northampton
Away vs Leicester
Home vs Saracens

Away vs Gloucester
Home vs Quins
Home vs Worcester

Away vs Exeter
Home vs Bristol

(Very) optimistically I think we can end up on 11 wins and 10 losses, which would put the team midtable. So I think top-6 is achievable - just - but not top 4.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2020 00:31 by Alphacat.

tatthecraic2 15 February, 2020 09:40
I think the key is in the comment no one is looking consistent... including us.

I don't think well get all the wins above but as long as we are above 9th il be happy. That will be a solid kick up into the Prem from Championship

Shawshank 15 February, 2020 10:49
With the shackles off, a glorious run to the play-offs has started.

And my £5 on us to win the Premiership @ 100-1 is looking sound value. (Sm160)

LI Bohemian 15 February, 2020 12:03
Was feeling very despondent about us, until the last 15mins of the Northampton game, we seem to take one step forward and then slip back again, so I'm not thinking we are going to have a run to the title just yet.
Will judge each game on its own.

ExiledChameleon 15 February, 2020 13:48
Yes, definitely. If we come away with a win today we'll likely be 1-2 points off the top 4.

Exeter, Sale, and maybe Saints are the only three that look a cut above the rest, and there's almost nothing between 4 to 10 in terms of quality.

We absolutely have the quality of player to stay in the 4-8 mix.

Alphacat 15 February, 2020 17:20
3 points off.

One win down, many more to go

Heaf 15 February, 2020 17:22
That last minute shocker of a penalty at Sarries and the red card at Bristol could have made a big difference ...

Lazyboy346 15 February, 2020 19:58
Imagine if we'd got a draw at Sarries and risked going for the corner in the last minute against Bristol to get 5 rather than 2

ExiledChameleon 15 February, 2020 20:33
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Imagine if we'd got a draw at Sarries and risked going for the corner in the last minute against Bristol to get 5 rather than 2

Imagine what'd happen if Wasps had pushed over in W1, or Saints had made their clearance a fortnight ago. You can't win every 50/50.

Que sera sera.

Florida 15 February, 2020 20:50
Quote:
Lazyboy346

The Sarries and Bristol game the team gave a good account of themselves, came away with points and dignity. I'd rather they imagined where we'd be if they bothered to turn up against Sale and Bath.

LI Bohemian 15 February, 2020 22:41
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Lazyboy346

The Sarries and Bristol game the team gave a good account of themselves, came away with points and dignity. I'd rather they imagined where we'd be if they bothered to turn up against Sale and Bath.

I'd only just forgotten about those two performances, it seems when I fancy them to do something, they just don't turn up.
As previously stated our worst performances have been at home.
Next week hopefully we kick on.

Alphacat 16 February, 2020 04:31
All I know is that we can't get top 2, as the club has already stated that Bristol will be the last game at the madejski

waltham 16 February, 2020 20:21
IMO yesterday was the the first sign that the squad has started to become a real "team"...some real signs of understanding and anticipating each other...fingers crossed I'm right

Florida 16 February, 2020 20:53
Quote:
waltham
IMO yesterday was the the first sign that the squad has started to become a real "team"...some real signs of understanding and anticipating each other...fingers crossed I'm right

They're definitely moving in the right direction, still a little way to go yet, especially in attack. Very positives signs over the last couple of games though, hoping they can follow up in the next home game.

Smudge21 16 February, 2020 22:33
Certainly got the ingredients of a very good team. A good mix of experienced heads playing some of their best rugby as well as some very exciting youngsters coming through. Still feel we need to get an attack coach though

HMRH 20 February, 2020 09:18
Like Bath the Gloucester game is a big one -
Some promising performances but need to be consistent. We were dreadful against Bath and I fortunately missed the spanking handed out by Sale. Win this weekend and suddenly we can start to think about being a good team.

Gloucester have a very decent group of players and Iíd love a win against them

LI Bohemian 20 February, 2020 10:22
There is a pattern, not just with us but a few other teams , that when you turn up to a game, where you are not expected to get anything from, you play better but with the knowledge that there is less pressure, where the side who are seen as the probable winners, normally the home team, are under more pressure than they expected.
I know this is not the only reason for the results, there is also the fact that the last two teams we played have injury and international call up problems, whilst we are getting injury returnees and are less impacted by the internationals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net