Latest news:

Is Jonathon Davis the most bias commentator?
Discussion started by paulm1953 , 25 February, 2020 15:45
Is Jonathon Davis the most bias commentator?
paulm1953 25 February, 2020 15:45
I now watch all Wales rugby games on TV with the volume muted as I can't stand Mr Davis's commentary. How do others feel?

Come on you Irish

Paul

Re: Is Jonathon Davis the most bias commentator?
cjm. 25 February, 2020 16:10
I'm never really that bothered about the commentator, except when it is one of the female commentators. Sorry, just doesn't work. Same as football, their voice doesn't work and they are very literal in their descriptions of the match.

Sorry if it sounds sexist but that's the way a feelz.

To bring some balance I think Joy Neville is a great referee. Probably helped by the fact that the players show a little more respect than they would to a male referee but still very good and let's the game flow.

Shawshank 25 February, 2020 18:56
CJM - Isa Guha is a great cricket commentator. Beautiful voice and very astute. Ali Mitchell is also good.

Many years ago TMS hired Donna Simmonds to commentate on some WI series - she was both a Barbardian barrister and cricket journalist, and she was absolutely brilliant. Fantastic bajan voice.

A common failing with all commentators, both male and female, is the inability to modulate their voice ie. a lot of them just shout breathlessly.

I like Ali Eykin and Nick Mullins on BT as they have a more conversational and relaxed style/pitch.

But yes, Jiffy Davies is bad, as is Brian Moore who drones on incessantly about the scrum.

DaveTVT 25 February, 2020 19:18
Jonathon Davies is one of the most biased of all sports commentators I've ever heard. The abject misery in his voice if Wales lose almost makes up for his gleeful joy when they win.

LI Bohemian 25 February, 2020 19:26
The sport of Cricket has a far slower tempo, than rugby and football and can't be realistically compaired as far as commentators, it's like comparing the shipping forecast to traffic news.
Brian Moore, Jonathan Davies are co-commentators, who to most I know are a bit Marmite, but not really my style,
I do miss Bill Mclaren he seemed so enthusiastic but remained reasonably Neutral, with a great turn of phrase.

cjm. 25 February, 2020 19:28
Quote:
Shawshank
CJM - Isa Guha is a great cricket commentator. Beautiful voice and very astute. Ali Mitchell is also good.
Many years ago TMS hired Donna Simmonds to commentate on some WI series - she was both a Barbardian barrister and cricket journalist, and she was absolutely brilliant. Fantastic bajan voice.

A common failing with all commentators, both male and female, is the inability to modulate their voice ie. a lot of them just shout breathlessly.

I don't watch or like cricket so can't comment apart from to say the slower pace of the game probably helps.

I think a commentator's voice needs to be able to fall into the background, or be at one with the game, such that the experience is at least unspoiled and at best enhanced ( Bill McClare ) when watching. The female commentators I have heard so far don't do it.

Sure some male commentators are better than others but I can easily tune them out anyways.

LI Bohemian 25 February, 2020 19:44
Can honestly say that, I don't notice if it is a male or female voice, I'm either listening or not, in a way where I only notice the one's I donít want to hear, like Eddie Butloire or when Ian Robertson used to commentate.
I do find the punditry of Jonny Wilkinson hard to follow, it doesnít make the sport easy to understand.

Shawshank 25 February, 2020 19:49
Yep, poor old Jonny usually ends up talking complete psycho- babble gibberish. On merit he would be benched by ITV sport PDQ.

Anyone else think that there was a pretty prickly atmosphere between BOD and SCW on Sunday...?

Xprop 25 February, 2020 19:56
Jiffy is as bad when Wales are playing as Ugo Monye is when Quins are playing.

DaveTVT 25 February, 2020 20:54
Ugo and Quins: Rampant triumphalism if they are winning, and a list of excuses longer than Oliver Reed's bar receipt if they are losing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2020 20:54 by DaveTVT.

M51 25 February, 2020 20:54
Jiffy is the worst, he doesn't do neutrality. Bill McLaren was the standout commentator.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2020 20:59 by M51.

cjm. 25 February, 2020 21:56
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Can honestly say that, I don't notice if it is a male or female voice.

Really? Reeeaaallly?

SimonG19 25 February, 2020 22:32
I often think the supposed bias is in the mind of the listener.

x_ile 26 February, 2020 08:03
Dallaglio is hardly the most neutral of commentators either. Nor is that Scottish bloke whose name I can never remember.

AlecW 26 February, 2020 09:26
Andy Nicol...?

Florida 26 February, 2020 09:30
Big fan of Jonny, Maggie Alphonsi, Sarah Elgan, BOD and Topsy. Can't stand Clive Woodward and Jiffy.

cjm. 26 February, 2020 09:44
Quote:
Florida
Big fan of Jonny, Maggie Alphonsi, Sarah Elgan, BOD and Topsy. Can't stand Clive Woodward and Jiffy.

Guess all I can say is each to their own.

LI Bohemian 26 February, 2020 10:09
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Really? Reeeaaallly?

Sorry, I didnít explain myself it makes no difference, I listen to what is being described and how it's delivered, so I donít make a mental note on the sex, age or inside leg measurement of who ever is saying it, they are for the most of the game not visible.

PV 26 February, 2020 10:18
Mullins decent, some of the Aussies are good craic. Eddie Butler is the worst

x_ile 26 February, 2020 10:35
Quote:
AlecW
Andy Nicol...?

That's the badger. (Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm160)

cjm. 26 February, 2020 11:21
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Really? Reeeaaallly?

Sorry, I didnít explain myself it makes no difference, I listen to what is being described and how it's delivered, so I donít make a mental note on the sex, age or inside leg measurement of who ever is saying it, they are for the most of the game not visible.

I think that is what I was saying above. The best commentators are those that blend with the game such that you don't really notice them. I haven't heard a female commentator who can do that yet on rugby. I no longer watch any football but I remember when MOTD started having a female voice over on matches. My gawd, unlistenable.

Obviously peoples tastes and tolerances will vary. I think many of the names above are more panel pundits than commentators. Moore and Jiffy aren't my favourite but not to the point I would switch the sound off, I quite like Andrew Cotter. I think it is a lot harder to be a good commentator than it at first appears.

SixNineOne 26 February, 2020 12:01
Personally I'm a fan of Andrew Cotter. A balanced commentary with a pleasant sounding voice and a brilliant turn of phrase - his comments on Gordon Reid's decision to shave his beard for charity were priceless.
National bias seems to be a particularly Welsh failing. Most of the other pundits at least try to take a balanced view even if they sometimes don't quite manage it, but Jiffy seems to come from a long line of Welsh pundits who just can't take an objective view of the game. I can still recall Gareth Edwards' catch phrase "all credit to Wales" which seemed to come out relentlessly when the Welsh team were being trashed on the pitch.

Shawshank 26 February, 2020 18:30
Yep, Cotter is the best of the BBC bunch.

Also like Scott Hastings.

POC seems to be an excellent co-commentator - hopefully BT will sign him up to replace idiots such as Austin and Ugo ĎOustandingí Monye.

Barnes and Harrison on Sky are now a pale shadow of their former excellence, but unfortunately we will have to put up with them no doubt for the Lions next year...

trummy200 29 February, 2020 16:01
Quote:
paulm1953
I now watch all Wales rugby games on TV with the volume muted as I can't stand Mr Davis's commentary. How do others feel?

PLUS ONE! and more if I could - he is abysmal! Well past his sell by date . Shane Williams is as one eye.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Sunburyite 01 March, 2020 16:11
My one word answer to the question is "Yes".
But I have difficulty with one word answers and feel that this issue is compounded by the BBC allowing Davies and Butler to commentate on Welsh games together. A recipe for disaster.
Funny that you get many England games without an English commentator which I assume is just the Beeb being PC.

echidna 07 March, 2020 18:53
In reply to the OP - just about equal with Lawrence "Dayglo" Dalaglio

Shawshank 07 March, 2020 19:05
And AWJones has to be the worst loser. Doesnít even congratulate England and implies that they were lucky to beat the sheep @#$%&.

Surely there isnít a better feeling on earth than to see a beaten Welshman at rugby?

bigbitty 07 March, 2020 20:17
Seriously, do you want only English commentators on English matches? Do you really want to be that one eyed?

Jonathon Davies, Brian O'Driscoll and Gavin Hastings (for example) are there to provide an alternative view. And I for one welcome it. Fer Gawd's sake they are being asked for opinions, and just because you don't agree with their opinions doesn't make them biased - merely just as opinionated as you are.

Florida 07 March, 2020 21:07
Quote:
bigbitty
Seriously, do you want only English commentators on English matches? Do you really want to be that one eyed?
Jonathon Davies, Brian O'Driscoll and Gavin Hastings (for example) are there to provide an alternative view. And I for one welcome it. Fer Gawd's sake they are being asked for opinions, and just because you don't agree with their opinions doesn't make them biased - merely just as opinionated as you are.

No, I think people just want less of a biased view than you get with Jiffy.

He's absolutely terrible and I'm surprised you can't see that. I'd be more than happy for him to be retired and replaced by Warburton.

SimonG19 08 March, 2020 12:04
Quote:
bigbitty

Totally agree.

SixNineOne 08 March, 2020 12:11
I thought Shane Williams gave some pretty balanced comments on yesterdayís match - much better than certain others one could name!

GHA 08 March, 2020 16:13
Quote:
SixNineOne
I thought Shane Williams gave some pretty balanced comments on yesterdayís match - much better than certain others one could name!

Apart from starting to suggest the Tuilagi red could've resulted in a penalty try... that was a bit of a stretch!

Alan_K 10 March, 2020 09:57
Quote:
Shawshank
And AWJones has to be the worst loser. Doesnít even congratulate England

Given that he'd had his head almost taken off by Courtney Lawes and his nuts squeezed by Joe Marler (with no on-field sanction against either) are you really surprised?

Ruckingood 10 March, 2020 10:25
Quote:
Alan_K
Quote:
Shawshank
And AWJones has to be the worst loser. Doesnít even congratulate England

Given that he'd had his head almost taken off by Courtney Lawes and his nuts squeezed by Joe Marler (with no on-field sanction against either) are you really surprised?

I would challenge the squeeze.. it was more like a gentle cupping.. very funny though.. in a totally inappropriate and unwoke way though.

AlecW 10 March, 2020 13:24
Talking of 'unbiased' BBC commentators, I will always remember Barry Davies on the BBC commentating on the 1988 Hockey gold medal match, when GB beat Germany 3-1 (The GB team with Ian Taylor, Sean Kerly, Imran Sherwani etc)...

After either the second or third GB goal, DDavies was heard to shout:

Quote:
And where were the Germans? ... and frankly - who cares?

(Sm6)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 13:33 by AlecW.

Shawshank 10 March, 2020 13:34
One other problem with many of the BBC co-commentators is that they played their rugby so long ago that in many respects in terms of tactics etc. it's a different game.

Frankly Pitbull, Jiffy and Guscott should be put out to grass.

POC is excellent - let's have more of him (and not just in Ireland matches).

Rinkadink 11 March, 2020 11:11
Quote:
cjm.
If it quacks like a duck...

cjm. 12 March, 2020 09:39
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
cjm.
If it quacks like a duck...

There are a lot more tests to be performed before a conclusion can be drawn.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed every minute of the women's 6 nations. Oh, you didn't watch any of it? but...

HMRH 12 March, 2020 11:00
Weíre streets ahead in terms of impartiality compared with SH commentators from Aus and especially the one eyed kiwis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net