Latest news:

The Player's Salaries
Discussion started by Exilepaul , 25 February, 2020 22:38
The Player's Salaries
Exilepaul 25 February, 2020 22:38
I've heard something about one of our players and how much they are on several times and I couldnt believe it so I did some research of how much some of our players are on and its genuinely eye watering some of the current salarys. Look I'm happy we are doing at well but I hope we dont become a club that throw barbaric amounts of money at players and not get value for it. Another problem we are going to have is if we want to sign players we will have to offload first.

Re: The Player's Salaries
Smudge21 25 February, 2020 22:46
The problem with being a bit of a struggling yo-yo team over the past few years is that we could not attract top quality players unless we offered them a much higher wage than other clubs.

GHA 25 February, 2020 22:46
Whinge whinge moan moan

Tom1215 25 February, 2020 22:47
Good on the players getting paid. I donít understand why people get so uptight about what certain players earn. We arenít paying them... even if theyíve come here for a pay day good on them. If they can get paid while playing for London irish good on them rugby careers are short and as long as itís within the salary cap why wouldnít they try and earn as much as they can especially if the club is willing to pay them.

GHA 25 February, 2020 22:58
Quote:
Tom1215
Good on the players getting paid. I donít understand why people get so uptight about what certain players earn. We arenít paying them... even if theyíve come here for a pay day good on them. If they can get paid while playing for London irish good on them rugby careers are short and as long as itís within the salary cap why wouldnít they try and earn as much as they can especially if the club is willing to pay them.

Not to mention it's guesswork

Nick4219 25 February, 2020 22:58
Quote:
Exilepaul
I've heard something about one of our players and how much they are on several times and I couldnt believe it so I did some research of how much some of our players are on and its genuinely eye watering some of the current salarys. Look I'm happy we are doing at well but I hope we dont become a club that throw barbaric amounts of money at players and not get value for it. Another problem we are going to have is if we want to sign players we will have to offload first.

If you want quality players then you are going to have to pay for it. The players we have brought in have largely turned us around from going straight back down in to potential contenders for Top 6 and maybe even Top 4.

As long as we are within the rules I donít see what business it is for us as fans to know who is being paid what.

PV 26 February, 2020 10:22
Was it 900k per annum and an Aussie by chance. It was far more relevant when that was the price for survival, but itís by no means sustainable whether a fair market price or not.

tatthecraic2 26 February, 2020 10:43
i don't mind players getting paid. but we only get that CVC money once...

what happens next season, and the next, and the next. I just want it to be sustainable.

ExiledChameleon 26 February, 2020 10:55
Wasnít that number taken from an Aussie newspaper? When he first signed I remember an Aussie site saying that heíll be on 900,000, but AUD rather than GBP.

waltham 26 February, 2020 11:05
Quote:
tatthecraic2
what happens next season, and the next, and the next. I just want it to be sustainable.

(Sm160)

GHA 26 February, 2020 11:13
Quote:
tatthecraic2

I'm sure the powers that be do too

SirBurger 26 February, 2020 11:34
First time in about ten years we are making an effort to build a squad that can really compete. I'm just relieved someone has found something to moan about!

Ajax Treesdown 26 February, 2020 11:39
Quote:
Exilepaul

Heard it on the Rugby Pod where they've mentioned Coleman being on £900k by chance?

Wouldn't pay much attention to it.

As long as we're within the salary cap then who cares how much the players are on.

Nick4219 26 February, 2020 12:58
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Exilepaul

Heard it on the Rugby Pod where they've mentioned Coleman being on £900k by chance?

As long as we're within the salary cap then who cares how much the players are on.

Coleman has been our best and most consistent performer this season, certainly is earning whatever he is being paid.

ExiledChameleon 26 February, 2020 14:52
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Exilepaul

Coleman has been our best and most consistent performer this season, certainly is earning whatever he is being paid.

Heís played about 5 games. Some other forward has played 10 and leads the entire league in a crucial stat.

Florida 26 February, 2020 15:35
Quote:
SirBurger
First time in about ten years we are making an effort to build a squad that can really compete. I'm just relieved someone has found something to moan about!

I was talking to Darren Allison just before he left for Bath (a really lovely chap by the way), he was explaining that while there was a desire for us to recruit / retain top talent, there was an unrealistic expectation to salaries; we just weren't willing / didn't have the money to pay for top talent. Seems like the powers that be have come to the same realisation and have addressed it.

Spending big is obviously not sustainable, but I would expect they're spending big now to help grow a core that will be our academy over the next 3 - 5 years and then a little star dust sprinkled on top, which will be sustainable.

Lazyboy346 26 February, 2020 18:19
Better to overspend on some players in the short term to build the foundations for staying in the premiership, then we can start signing players at the going rate rather than paying effectively a "relegation/promotion tax." Then we can bring in the promising academy players we have lining up into an established team. Much better than underpaying and having an uncompetitive team with a little more cash in pocket.

Margin_Walker 26 February, 2020 19:01
It's no coincidence that in our last two seasons we reportedly had the lowest or close to it playing budget and were relegated. Whilst this season we are spending a lot and are mid table and competitive. There are a thousand other factors at play and it's no guarantee of success, but it gives you a chance.

Clearly it is CVC driven and won't be sustainable in the long run without a Brentford bounce. The club have clearly prioritised doing everything possible to make the move a success as they only get one chance at executing it. Being able to market Prem (and who knows maybe even HC) rugby in September will be hugely desirable compared to the disaster that relegation would have been.

Sure the odd big name signing won't work out (it's not an exact science), but as long as a good proportion are, the benefits on the field will be tangible.

Not sure what sort of research the OP has done over and above press speculation on salaries, but I wouldn't take them as gospel. Fair to say the likes of Coleman and Naholo will be on plenty though.

Bazzo 26 February, 2020 22:46
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Exilepaul

If you want quality players then you are going to have to pay for it. The players we have brought in have largely turned us around from going straight back down in to potential contenders for Top 6 and maybe even Top 4.

As long as we are within the rules I donít see what business it is for us as fans to know who is being paid what.

Except Sarries, we all want to know what they are being paid? Donít we?

Nick4219 27 February, 2020 06:48
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Exilepaul

Except Sarries, we all want to know what they are being paid? Donít we?

Sarries have breached the cap, therefore, it becomes of interest who is being paid what in order to see how far over the cap they are. If we are under the cap then I donít see why the fans need to know, it can stay between the club, player and salary cap manager.

Nick4219 27 February, 2020 06:58
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Exilepaul

Heís played about 5 games. Some other forward has played 10 and leads the entire league in a crucial stat.

Heís played in 7 games, started 6 and has scored a try. He is always mentioned whether Irish have won or lost as being consistently performing well. He may not be leading in tackle stats, however, I wouldnít expect a second rower to be ahead of a back rower.

Heís still young enough and if he keeps up I wouldnít be surprised if the Australia national side would be looking at bringing him back in to the international fold.

Now how else do you keep hold of a player like him if you are not willing to pay him a fairly decent wage?

Margin_Walker 27 February, 2020 07:16
Coleman actually does lead the league with lineout steals. Which is fairly Impressive given that he was a late arrival.

ExiledChameleon 27 February, 2020 08:49
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Exilepaul

Heís played in 7 games, started 6 and has scored a try. He is always mentioned whether Irish have won or lost as being consistently performing well. He may not be leading in tackle stats, however, I wouldnít expect a second rower to be ahead of a back rower.

Heís still young enough and if he keeps up I wouldnít be surprised if the Australia national side would be looking at bringing him back in to the international fold.

Now how else do you keep hold of a player like him if you are not willing to pay him a fairly decent wage?

You're putting words into my mouth. Coleman has been good, and we do have to pay him quite a lot to keep him, but calling him our best and most consistent performer is wrong.

Nick4219 27 February, 2020 08:51
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Exilepaul

You're putting words into my mouth. Coleman has been good, and we do have to pay him quite a lot to keep him, but calling him our best and most consistent performer is wrong.

Not in my opinion.

Shawshank 27 February, 2020 09:48
I think we should celebrate finally being able to pay enough money to get real quality in.(Sm61)

If those well-paid stars were not performing then I think there would be grounds to grumble - but so far Coleman has been absolutely outstanding.

PV 27 February, 2020 10:05
Coleman is class.

The issue is more about is professional rugby sustainable?

CVC will want their pound of flesh like any PE.

Once their cash runs dry, the RFU canít be relied on as theyíre stuffed. East Stand cost them and atm I know that Eddie is having to fund raise to continue the investment he feels the England team need.

Tom1215 27 February, 2020 12:07
Professional rugby isnít sustainable itís clear to see that for every club. Just enjoy the rugby and stop worrying about money which isnít even ours to worry about. The club has owners and god knows what at the very top and Iím sure they are better at running the club than we are. If the club didnít have the ability to buy these players they wouldnít have but they did.

PV 27 February, 2020 12:16
Quote:
Tom1215
Professional rugby isnít sustainable itís clear to see that for every club. Just enjoy the rugby and stop worrying about money which isnít even ours to worry about. The club has owners and god knows what at the very top and Iím sure they are better at running the club than we are. If the club didnít have the ability to buy these players they wouldnít have but they did.

Itís a concern if your club falls apart. On your point of managing, not sure about that ....

AlecW 27 February, 2020 12:24
Pedantry alert...!

That's "The Players' Salaries", unless you are talking about a single player who has received more than one salary (not beyond the bounds of possibility, were you taking about Saracens(Sm100))...!

Tom1215 27 February, 2020 16:23
PV so our club is falling apart??? Can you give me some examples of this to prove your point?
As all I can see is our club going from strength to strength from last season especially with the big move to London, top talent signing and a fan base pulling together for the club.

Bazzo 28 February, 2020 00:06
I have always felt that there is a plan for access to more money. It canít just be the CVC money as it would not sustain the wages and costs long term, it would run out at some stage and then we would be in trouble. The Brentford factor will bring in more money for sure but there must be more investment available, I donít worry about it at all. Great to go along and see the team winning good games. Still find it a shame that we are moving away but looking at the crowds at home this year, I fully understand as the numbers are not very good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net