Latest news:

NZ pioneering under 85kg rugby
Discussion started by bigbitty , 26 February, 2020 07:58
NZ pioneering under 85kg rugby
bigbitty 26 February, 2020 07:58
A very interesting article in the Telegraph today about Under 85kg rugby. They recognise that not all good players want to bulk up, and even in the amateur game you could be up against a committed weightlifter.

So, to stop losing exciting but diminutive players, they have come up with this. Only for the amateur game I believe.

Re: NZ pioneering under 85kg rugby
x_ile 26 February, 2020 08:09
I vaguely recall reading, some time ago, that NZ run junior/schools rugby teams by weight rather than age. Forgotten the details.

DaveTVT 26 February, 2020 09:26
As a former rugby Dad I'd say that NZ have probably got this right at the junior level. I can remember watching my son (and several other forwards) at u14 trying to bring down our very own Chunya in games, and another where an opposition parent confessed to us that his son in an U16 game being same height and weight as Sam Burgess. In both cases these lads would have benefited from playing at an age group above simply to give them better competition. It's probably the case that some of the players mismatched against them may well have drifted away from rugby as even those with great technique just couldn't compete with the size disparity.

Ajax Treesdown 26 February, 2020 11:40
Quote:
x_ile
I vaguely recall reading, some time ago, that NZ run junior/schools rugby teams by weight rather than age. Forgotten the details.

It was mentioned in an article about Jonah Lomu, how he represented the first XV when in the first year of senior school because of his size (it also helped he was pretty handy)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net