Latest news:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Transfer news?
Exile_Dave 07 May, 2020 19:09
Iíd agree with that Ecksile.

Margin_Walker 25 May, 2020 13:07
We'll we have our first confirmed signing for next year. Lucas Brooke included in the Senior Academy intake. His dad let the cat out the bag.

[amp.rugbypass.com]

Lazyboy346 25 May, 2020 13:27
Lot of potential if he's anywhere near as good as his dad. Playing back row and hooker will be useful if squad sizes are going to shrink in future.

Anyone able to guess at the four or five Wellington College friends joining the academy might be?

Margin_Walker 25 May, 2020 14:02
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Lot of potential if he's anywhere near as good as his dad. Playing back row and hooker will be useful if squad sizes are going to shrink in future.
Anyone able to guess at the four or five Wellington College friends joining the academy might be?

Not sure, seems too many as St Pauls have had a great year and have some stand out players

Definitely Marcus Rhodes. Hector Elrington looked really good for Wellington earlier in the season, but then didn't feature for the U18s. Not sure if he was injured or just missed out. Bradbury is still a year young I think

Wellington have a couple more stand out players, but they are Quins lads

LiKR43 25 May, 2020 14:39
I'd agree - there were only three Wellington players in the U18s finals squad (and I think most of the season) There were lots of the St Paul's lads and a few Whitgift boys as well as individuals from other schools

Margin_Walker 25 May, 2020 14:42
Quote:
LiKR43
I'd agree - there were only three Wellington players in the U18s finals squad (and I think most of the season) There were lots of the St Paul's lads and a few Whitgift boys as well as individuals from other schools

Yep, Non St Paul's or Wellington lads like Vajner and Joseph will surely be in there.

LiKR43 25 May, 2020 14:54
On the season ticket holders' zoom forum a few weeks ago it was 7 new academy players I think Declan Kidney said

Margin_Walker 25 May, 2020 15:16
So if it's 7, I'd guess something like:

Brooke
Rhodes
Haffar
Joseph
Vajner
Dykes
Morgan

With the likes of Davis, Harmes, Keohane and Brown also in the mix. Probably forgotten someone obvious there.

LiKR43 25 May, 2020 15:36
Between those 11 sounds like a good guess to me - hoping they tell us soon so we actually know. Do you think we'd take another young scrum half assuming we still have Brand and Englefield? But then we already have a lot of academy back row (Smart, Belcher, Moore-Aiono, Rossiter, with Curtis-Harris just ahead) and Brookes is another back row unless he is going to change to hooker (and Rhodes as well if he comes)

Margin_Walker 25 May, 2020 16:08
It's pretty hard to get it down to 7 really. Some promising players are going to miss out.

I think they'll take Morgan. He seemed pretty instrumental to St Pauls in their run and having two 9s in the senior academy wouldn't be that unusual.

jimbo800 01 July, 2020 13:40
Piers Francis signed a new deal at Saints. Myler has now left. It will be a scramble for the last European spot with some teams effectively weaker as a result of the extended season. With myler gone, I think weíll struggle as Jackson has had no game time since Christmas.

HMRH 01 July, 2020 13:45
Iím worries full stop let alone about a 10 / weíre short of locks for a start / no Franco no Coleman and rumour has it no Botha

Smudge21 01 July, 2020 17:11
You would think if botha decides not to return then we should be able to offer franco another contract. From my understanding, both the club and franco were keen for a new deal had these strange circumstances not happened

paddym 01 July, 2020 18:04
Just met one of the players out shopping and he reckons 24 going and no word of who is coming in.

PV 01 July, 2020 18:24
24! Wow. Thatís shocking

Florida 01 July, 2020 18:41
Not that shocking, rugbylad had already posted a list of 21 that were meant to be off

[m.rugbynetwork.net]

We're only talking 3 more on top of that. Let's assume the list is accurate, plus Botha means 2 more to find.

Although no word on who's coming in is a bit of a shock...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2020 18:43 by Florida.

Lazyboy346 01 July, 2020 18:53
Rumoured that Rossiter in the academy may be going to university full time, which could be one of those other two suggested.

Exilepaul 01 July, 2020 19:08
Quote:
paddym
Just met one of the players out shopping and he reckons 24 going and no word of who is coming in.

Just goes to show all this "building for the next few years" "we know where we are going" is utter nonsense

PV 01 July, 2020 19:27
24 players out is shocking in my book, literally half the squad

ExiledChameleon 01 July, 2020 19:35
Quote:
Florida
Not that shocking, rugbylad had already posted a list of 21 that were meant to be off
[m.rugbynetwork.net]

We're only talking 3 more on top of that. Let's assume the list is accurate, plus Botha means 2 more to find.

Although no word on who's coming in is a bit of a shock...

I've heard that TBC has re-signed since that list was made. As for incomings... I don't really think that there are any bar a couple of Champ players.

shimmieandshake 02 July, 2020 08:40
Quote:
PV
24 players out is shocking in my book, literally half the squad

Agreed. It's amputating limbs rather than going to the gym to lose weight. I agree with most of that list of 21 that came out three or four weeks ago, but only on the assumption we were strengthening in the positions left light.

As things stand, what happens if Hepetema or Rona get a long-term injury? I think we literally have only those two. I guess Phil Cokanasiga gets thrown in the deep end, but maybe a bit soon for that?

All this being said, understand replacements might have been the intention before Covid rug pull, so I'm not saying it's negligent of the club, just very unlucky. Although that's just speculation - who knows what's gone on/is going on behind the scenes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 08:42 by shimmieandshake.

rex96 08 July, 2020 11:43
If we already knew this Iím sorry but Matt Cornish is following us on socials🤷🏼‍♂️

Tom1215 09 July, 2020 10:37
Levi Douglas has started to follow us on Instagram.
Would a cheap but decent option IMO

Margin_Walker 09 July, 2020 10:41
We are short on locks, have little money and he is very much on the market.

Seems like a plausible option.

Edit - Although he does seem to be following plenty of clubs tbf.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 10:52 by Margin_Walker.

Tom1215 09 July, 2020 12:09
[quote Margin_Walker]We are short on locks, have little money and he is very much on the market.

Seems like a plausible option.

Edit - Although he does seem to be following plenty of clubs tbf.[/quotprovably should of looked at that

rex96 13 July, 2020 14:05
Calum Clark has signed a contract extension at sarries :/ another rumour out the window ...

HMRH 13 July, 2020 14:40
How on earth are Sale able to put that team out? Thatís some pack now and some real power on the centres with V Rensburg and Tuilagi now confirmed plus Faf and the du Preez brothers. That could be some team - Iíd have many of their players quite happily

Tom1215 13 July, 2020 14:50
Tbf Im pretty glad he isnít coming to irish.

tatthecraic2 13 July, 2020 17:48
Its god awful being a London Irish supporter. Been a tough decade and cant get any confirmation of our squad for remainder of this season or where we'll even play... I'm just going stir crazy in the silence over here

Florida 13 July, 2020 18:43
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Its god awful being a London Irish supporter. Been a tough decade and cant get any confirmation of our squad for remainder of this season or where we'll even play... I'm just going stir crazy in the silence over here

We'll know in a week or two where we're at, while it's very frustrating it shouldn't be for much longer.

tatthecraic2 15 July, 2020 11:31
1 month until our first game, and still no update on squad or signings...

surely new signings should be here already training etc... any rumours flying about?

rugbygibbo 15 July, 2020 11:45
French deadline for signings today so hopefully if there is no announcements today then the squad could be ok

HMRH 15 July, 2020 14:08
Nothing to stop moves to Japan, Pro14 or within Prem is there?

rugbygibbo 15 July, 2020 15:04
Well I wasnít trying to doom monger. More pointing out that a big source of competition would be out of the way. Premiership and pro 14 pretty cash strapped at the moment so hopefully there will be not many moves there. Japan is the fear but cíest la vie

shimmieandshake 15 July, 2020 18:35
Looks like 23rd July is the day of reckoning in this respect. Fingers crossed.

RWesty17 19 July, 2020 06:57
Iíve seen that a lot of players have returned to training, however Naholo is still in NZ (as per his Insta account). He has just had a new baby, but would have thought that he would be back by now along with the team. Thoughts?

Alphacat 19 July, 2020 11:32
Quote:
RWesty17
Iíve seen that a lot of players have returned to training, however Naholo is still in NZ (as per his Insta account). He has just had a new baby, but would have thought that he would be back by now along with the team. Thoughts?

I wouldn't want to leave New Zealand right now if I was there...

tatthecraic2 19 July, 2020 12:32
Covid free normal life for my new born? I wouldn't be travelling

Lazyboy346 19 July, 2020 19:44
Can't remember seeing this mentioned so sorry if duplicating.

Rugby Paper reported that Yorkshire have shut down their RFU Academy and we are looking at a scrum half, Theo Smurden: [www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Smurden was in the Ireland U18 setup in August 2019 and January 2020 alongside Irish's Rory Morgan and Alessandro Heaney:
[www.google.com]
[www.fifteenrugby.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2020 19:46 by Lazyboy346.

Margin_Walker 19 July, 2020 19:58
Good spot. Looks like he also plays a fair bit at 10.

Ruckingood 20 July, 2020 02:55
Quote:
RWesty17
He has also just undergone surgery for his knee?? I hear and will be out until the new season along with Coleman - he was playing at 70% last year hence the odd comment re "fat and slow" with the slower than normal piece being related to the fact that he was playing on one leg most of the games. Not sure who our scouts are but why does it seem that we are a rahab posting for quality players whom may or my not recover from surgery.. Fiainga, O'Brian, Coleman, Naholo etc... a highlights reel on You Tube is easily put together showing teh five games in a season that they were fit but misses out on the weeks on the side line with a @#$%& body part.. whilst on a tidy, albeit reduced, financial package..

norg2072 20 July, 2020 06:50
Good question for Thursday evenings Zoom call

GHA 20 July, 2020 08:00
Was the surgery on his knee that recent? I thought I saw pics of him with his knee all strapped up when he was back in NZ around the time his little one was born?

SirBurger 20 July, 2020 08:38
Quote:
Ruckingood
Quote:
RWesty17
He has also just undergone surgery for his knee?? I hear and will be out until the new season along with Coleman - he was playing at 70% last year hence the odd comment re "fat and slow" with the slower than normal piece being related to the fact that he was playing on one leg most of the games. Not sure who our scouts are but why does it seem that we are a rahab posting for quality players whom may or my not recover from surgery.. Fiainga, O'Brian, Coleman, Naholo etc... a highlights reel on You Tube is easily put together showing teh five games in a season that they were fit but misses out on the weeks on the side line with a @#$%& body part.. whilst on a tidy, albeit reduced, financial package..

Amazing that we had to watch YouTube highlights to decide whether or not to sign some of the world's most famous players...(Sm141)

shimmieandshake 20 July, 2020 11:15
Quote:
Ruckingood
Quote:
RWesty17

Coleman doesn't belong on this list; he arrived fit, has been quality and got injured while with us. I agree with a decent chunk of the rest though.

cjm. 20 July, 2020 12:40
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Quote:
Ruckingood
Quote:
RWesty17

Coleman doesn't belong on this list; he arrived fit, has been quality and got injured while with us. I agree with a decent chunk of the rest though.

Agreed. Coleman has been exceptional.

Naholo I have been critical of for a number of reasons. As a headline signing you want them to be be fully fit and not spending most of the time in NZ. I don't know if he has taken a hit to his pay packet but he ought to have.

Ruckingood 22 July, 2020 03:57
[Coleman doesn't belong on this list; he arrived fit, has been quality and got injured while with us. I agree with a decent chunk of the rest though.[/quote]

I beg to differ. No one is questioning the quality of Coleman or the impact he has had on the team. He is world class as is Naholo .. however, I am querying the fact that some players are injury prone. It is well documented across their career and it brings an inherent risk with signing them on large deals. If we focus on Coleman, as an example, just do a google search on Adam Coleman Injuries and you can see that from the start of his career until now, he has not played a full season since his professional debut in Australia due to major injuries. All players suffer soreness and the odd injury, its the nature of contact sport, but there are those that are injury prone.. Danny A spring to mind as an alternate example. Yet another quality player who has been unable to play a complete season for us without some extended injury period out of the playing squad. By comment is that it seems that the scouting team do not take this into account, or if they do they have a risk/reward focus that is different to mine.

Am just commenting for discussion as it seems that there are a few "starting" players that fall into this catagory

Margin_Walker 22 July, 2020 06:58
Did Danny have persistent injury issues before joining?

Can't remember that myself, so not sure you can lay the blame for that at the door of our recruitment.

HMRH 22 July, 2020 09:44
On the flip side - Arno Botha

Steelman 22 July, 2020 10:47
Quote:
HMRH

Flipping wish we had kept hold of him & Van Zyl !

cjm. 22 July, 2020 11:19
Quote:
HMRH

And Mike Catt IIRC.

It's really a@#$%&shoot where injuries are concerned.

shimmieandshake 22 July, 2020 13:01
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
HMRH

Flipping wish we had kept hold of him & Van Zyl !

Yep, and Van Zyl was equally injury prone before coming to us.

Ruckingood 23 July, 2020 04:32
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Did Danny have persistent injury issues before joining?
Can't remember that myself, so not sure you can lay the blame for that at the door of our recruitment.

Danny is an example of one of our key squad members that spent a lot of time injured. Again not knocking his talent in any way but we seem to have an awful number of players that we either pick up with a history of being injured or maybe lack the physical robustness need to play consistently in the Prem.. I am not solely laying any blame (if there is anything to blame) at the scouts door, but it was well known that both Naholo and Coleman were carrying or prone to injuries. LI has always found it difficult to lure top talent and there are times when you take what you can to bolster the squad and profile though I would be cautious of picking up too many of this ilk if ti can be avoided

Margin_Walker 23 July, 2020 07:17
It would take a fairly sophisticated scouting system to turn down promising/available players without persistent injury issues on the basis that we have a hunch they will develop one.

Shawshank 23 July, 2020 07:51
It's a simple fact of life that some folk's bodies aren't as 'durable' as others.

For example, Alex Waller played every game for about 5 seasons for Saints until he was forced to miss one - incredible for a prop.

Others, such as TBC or MNG, seem barely able to play 3-4 matches before they get some sort of injury that then keeps them out for lengthy spells.

In cricket think of Mark Wood - always something wrong with him, compared to Stuart Broad who v. rarely misses a game through injury.

That's why I thought at the time, and still do, that splurging the cash on O'Brien was a dumb move...

tatthecraic2 23 July, 2020 14:59
Quote:
Shawshank
It's a simple fact of life that some folk's bodies aren't as 'durable' as others.
For example, Alex Waller played every game for about 5 seasons for Saints until he was forced to miss one - incredible for a prop.

Others, such as TBC or MNG, seem barely able to play 3-4 matches before they get some sort of injury that then keeps them out for lengthy spells.

In cricket think of Mark Wood - always something wrong with him, compared to Stuart Broad who v. rarely misses a game through injury.

That's why I thought at the time, and still do, that splurging the cash on O'Brien was a dumb move...

SOB I feel is a bit different. He played a year with a required hip replacement. And before that I think he broke his arm but he's well known to be an abrasive player and before the last 2 years or so is rarely injured. We also hear that he's requested to be played week in week out to keep match fitness and body together and also to commit to LI rather than be wrapped in cotton wool. I think he really showed his class in a big loss to Sale.

shimmieandshake 23 July, 2020 15:57
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Quote:
Shawshank

SOB I feel is a bit different. He played a year with a required hip replacement. And before that I think he broke his arm but he's well known to be an abrasive player and before the last 2 years or so is rarely injured. We also hear that he's requested to be played week in week out to keep match fitness and body together and also to commit to LI rather than be wrapped in cotton wool. I think he really showed his class in a big loss to Sale.

He did show his class in the Sale game, and can be a massive pull for new fans especially with the Brentford move, but he's definitely had an above-average amount of injuries consistently for pretty much his whole career. Seem to remember it being pretty much his whole body, with double digits operations...

SirBurger 23 July, 2020 16:02
Think consideration also has to be given to the Brentford factor. It is much easier to persuade neutrals to come along to watch a team that has familiar names in its squad. My view is that injuries happen and players like Waller at Northampton are really the exception these days.

tatthecraic2 23 July, 2020 20:42
Confirmed signings

Tom Homer
Matt Cornish

We are keeping the big signings from last season including

Naholo
Mafi
SOB
Phipps
Jackson
Rona
Kepu
Coleman

Looking to confirm Botha coming back looks like him wanting to stay in Japan has some truth to it.

Looking to add another Hooker also...

Tom1215 23 July, 2020 20:47
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Confirmed signings
Tom Homer
Matt Cornish

We are keeping the big signings from last season including

Naholo
Mafi
SOB
Phipps
Jackson
Rona
Kepu
Coleman

Looking to confirm Botha coming back looks like him wanting to stay in Japan has some truth to it.

Looking to add another Hooker also...

Thatís really good news.
Coleman more than replaces Botha.
Gutted he might not come back but Iím very happy with the big names staying. COYI

paddym 23 July, 2020 21:06
Matt Cornish has potential to be a stand out player for us. Played for Wild Geese several seasons ago as an 18 year old in Nat2 and was real quality. Now about 22 and has approx 80 games forEaling under his belt. He is a smashing lad . Pity he was taken on as was suggested to management when he was with the Geese!

rugbygibbo 23 July, 2020 21:14
And the remainder who werenít announced as going are all staying yeah?

old hillbilly 23 July, 2020 21:23
Fully agree PaddySM, will be a great asset and delighted to see him get his chance.

paddym 23 July, 2020 21:26
[quote old hillbilly]Fully agree PaddySM, will be a great asset and delighted to see him get his chance.[/quot

Definitely PG. Be good to see him and you back down at Hazelwood!!

M51 23 July, 2020 21:33
Coleman out for the rest of the season after operations on hip and shoulder. Back in light training now. A few more significant signings to be confirmed in the next few weeks, subject to passing the signature fitness test. Lets hope all are fit to go for next season.
COYI

Tom1215 23 July, 2020 21:35
Did they let on to what positions those signings will be? And heather or not it will be for the end of this season or next?
Sorry for the mass questioning

fatlad76 23 July, 2020 21:38
One hooker, one second row and three back row. Plus Tom homer

Florida 23 July, 2020 21:44
Quote:
fatlad76
One hooker, one second row and three back row. Plus Tom homer

3 more back row? That seems like an awful lot for our already back row heavy squad.

Tom1215 23 July, 2020 21:44
We love back row players

shimmieandshake 23 July, 2020 21:52
You'd have to assume at least one 'back row' player would be hybrids who play 4, 5, 6? Sounds bizarre to sign three more back rowers given our relative strength there.

We seem incredibly light in the 2nd row. Mafi, Nott and Munya (assuming they're all fit) are all we'd have until December. Plus one is good, but it surely has to be plus two, especially given Mafi's already a hybrid player.

Margin_Walker 23 July, 2020 21:54
Yep, Nott's also a hybrid and Munga is 19. Could do with at least one proper heavy lock if Botha is a no show.

Edit - Donnell and Cooke also cover lock, but I wouldn't be starting either there in the premiership

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 21:55 by Margin_Walker.

Smudge21 23 July, 2020 21:55
Pretty sure there was a rumour somewhere about another south African lock. Think his name was etienne oosthuizen

Margin_Walker 23 July, 2020 21:57
Quote:
Smudge21
Pretty sure there was a rumour somewhere about another south African lock. Think his name was etienne oosthuizen

Yep, he'd be decent. Again is more of a 6 though, or at least that's where he spent most of his time playing in SA. Not sure if he's been turning out for Lyon at lock.

Edit - Scrap that! Been watching highlights of the wrong etienne oosthuizen. The one at Lyon is a proper looking lock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 22:03 by Margin_Walker.

stu66 23 July, 2020 22:10
I thought Declan said ď3 back rows, one of which is a former player - Tom HomerĒ. I interpreted that as he said back row when he meant back line.

millhillexile 23 July, 2020 22:48
Agree with that Stu. So as paddy, tbc and Jacob are the fly halves there must be a new centre At least which makes more sense.

Smudge21 23 July, 2020 23:41
Yep we're pretty stacked in the back row with lots of academy options coming through too so definitely makes sense for it to be 3 more backs coming in

HMRH 24 July, 2020 01:23
Homer and Cornish- thatís it? Botha probably going. Well Iím Underwhelmed

Tom1215 24 July, 2020 07:31
Quote:
HMRH
Homer and Cornish- thatís it? Botha probably going. Well Iím Underwhelmed
With more being announced in the coming weeks

Exile_Dave 24 July, 2020 08:18
Quote:
millhillexile
Agree with that Stu. So as paddy, tbc and Jacob are the fly halves there must be a new centre At least which makes more sense.

Iíve always thought tbc played better at 12.

SixNineOne 24 July, 2020 08:23
Iíve always thought TBC had bags of talent, albeit very injury prone, but that his kicking was suspect, which is why he tended to look better at 12 rather than 10. If Tom Homerís on the team that might cover the goal kicking, but I hope Theo has been working on his kicking out of hand.

Steelman 24 July, 2020 09:48
Quote:
SixNineOne
Iíve always thought TBC had bags of talent, albeit very injury prone, but that his kicking was suspect, which is why he tended to look better at 12 rather than 10. If Tom Homerís on the team that might cover the goal kicking, but I hope Theo has been working on his kicking out of hand.
Agree with this ,if your not a natural footballer you can't be standing at 10 in the Prem. Trouble is ,if you put him at 12 which is better suited to his talents.
great hands,good running lines,solid tackler it probably won't be long before he,s back on crutches.
Tom Homer,gives us the proper old style 15 we've needed for years,who relishes a collision, kicks it miles,and suddenly ,can now counter attack.Great
re-signing.-

old hillbilly 25 July, 2020 07:45
Purely idle speculation but I saw in an interview with George Ford that Kyle Eastmond is likely to be signing for another premiership club for next season. Might he be coming our way?

Jasoc 25 July, 2020 09:20
I saw on a link to News Now that the Fijian back row Johnny Dyer is coming to Irish

Smudge21 25 July, 2020 10:13
Well if dyer is half as good as our last fijian back row signing then I'll be happy!

Margin_Walker 25 July, 2020 10:18
I'd certainly take him. Thought he signed for Biarritz though.

tatthecraic2 25 July, 2020 11:57
[youtu.be]

Looks pretty abrasive and strong but he doesn't appear to be playing a super high level or rugby. Not sure he'll be able to brush of Naiavoro or Tuilagi et al as easy as that :p

Florida 25 July, 2020 14:28
As MW said, he's signed for Biarritz until 2023

HMRH 26 July, 2020 06:08
Aussie Rob Simmons to Irish from Waratahs plays at lock but can also play back row is the centrepiece in the TRP transfer section today

Star of Down 26 July, 2020 08:24
From yesterday's Sydney Moring Herald...........

"Horrible discipline once again cost the Waratahs dearly as they succumbed to their heaviest defeat to the Rebels. To make matters worse, captain Rob Simmons revealed afterwards he has broken ribs and will likely spend time on the sidelines."

Margin_Walker 26 July, 2020 08:27
Well at least he'll be well rested by the time he arrives.

Blarney 26 July, 2020 09:04
Another international wallaby lock would suggest that Botha's not coming back. A shame but Simmons is a good replacement.

Star of Down 26 July, 2020 09:40
Excellent replacement and packs down with Aussi partners Coleman and Kepu.
As MW suggests, well rested for start of 20/21.

HMRH 26 July, 2020 10:29
I wonder if Simmons is a
Replacement or a longer term neogitiation -
Seems a top player for a rush buy so maybe always factored into the recruitment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2020 13:02 by HMRH.

old hillbilly 26 July, 2020 19:09
I think these sort of signings take a while and a player like Simmonds will have had more than one offer.

HMRH 27 July, 2020 10:36
Simmons probably replaces Franco. Hopefully Ruan stays although seems unlikely so Iíd like a replacement in that style - more a
rampaging lock forward than a heavyweight George Kruis style.

shimmieandshake 27 July, 2020 13:08
Quote:
HMRH
Simmons probably replaces Franco. Hopefully Ruan stays although seems unlikely so Iíd like a replacement in that style - more a

I was under the assumption getting Simmons in would mean Botha out? Although I'd obviously be thrilled with Coleman, Botha, Simmons trio, can't see it happening.

Blarney 27 July, 2020 13:26
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Quote:
HMRH

I was under the assumption getting Simmons in would mean Botha out? Although I'd obviously be thrilled with Coleman, Botha, Simmons trio, can't see it happening.

Simmons replacing Franco would make no sense - given that the stated reason for letting Franco go was lack of cap space. If Simmons signs, I think it more likely that he replaces a non-returning Botha.

HMRH 27 July, 2020 13:41
I only question it as we wouldnít have known about Ruan not coming back until a few months or even weeks ago - yet one of the top locks in Australia was available at short notice?

Maybe we were just fortunate

Lazyboy346 27 July, 2020 14:58
Simmons seems an odd signing if we are keeping Ruan and as HMRH says it seems odd to get as a replacement for Ruan if he leaves - unless RA's financial issues mean senior internationals are looking for security over here even at reduced wages.

We seem to be keeping well stocked at lock of late -imagine we could have had Coleman and Botha starting with two of Franco/Mafi/Simmons fighting for the bench.

However I'm concerned that we haven't replaced Danny or Cilliers nor apparently have plans to so only have six senior props going into 1.5 consecutive seasons with Dell probably with Scotland. Hopefully we'll pick someone up between seasons as we are only two injuries away from the 1st/2nd year academy lads making debuts.

Florida 27 July, 2020 15:14
Lazyboy346, Franco would have a tough time getting on the bench as he's left the club winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net