PV 12 March, 2020 20:37
Is it?

Lower end is 12.

Higher 208

So he got lower than the lower end.

Basic, headline desiring fool IMHO

Re: Joe Marler
Ajax Treesdown 12 March, 2020 20:40
The real problem is people looking for the smallest thing to be offended by.

What a sad state of affairs.

PV 12 March, 2020 20:49
Ok. Got it. If youíre smart and in tune with the world you live in you donít grab someoneís genitals.

Heís desperate to be famous.

Itís pretty pathetic.

Players who are famous are either imfamous for thuggery such as Chilcott, Dooley etc

Or famous for class, Mike Gibson, Carter etc

Marler is a clown and he has been schooled.

It shows the parlours state of our world when heís being defended for being a complete @#$%&.

Ajax Treesdown 12 March, 2020 22:17
Jesus.

Have a Kit Kat and lighten up a bit.

GHA 12 March, 2020 22:38
[youtu.be] - 11:55 in the video, Tompkins on Itoje, Tompkins not cited

[gfycat.com] - Tomos Williams on Conor Murray, Murray complained to the referee after the third instance, Williams not cited

[youtu.be] - Vunipola on Furlong, Vunipola not cited

[youtu.be] - So'oialo on Strauss, So'oialo cited but case dismissed

A different sport obviously but in 2001 John Hopoate received a 12 week ban for assaulting three players in one game in the NRL - one commissioner referred to his actions as 'disgusting, violent, offensive behaviour'

[www.dailymotion.com] - 3.15 in the video, possibly Allan Bateman on Keith Wood - not cited but obviously not on a match day

Haouas received three weeks for punching Ritchie in the face. Here he is punching a team mate while warming up as a sub in 2018: [youtu.be]

Regardless of what people think Joe Marler is like as a person or how desperate he is to be famous, in my opinion 10 weeks is harsh. I wonder if the pending postponement of the league due to Coronavirus had anything to do with it though - 10 weeks to make an example but you might only miss one game...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2020 22:38 by GHA.

PV 13 March, 2020 04:58
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Jesus.

Wow.

And as for the laws, 12 weeks is the minimum so he did well to get below that. It doesnít really matter what other sports do, especially if different circumstances.

GHA 13 March, 2020 06:28
Quote:
PV
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Jesus.

Wow.

And as for the laws, 12 weeks is the minimum so he did well to get below that. It doesnít really matter what other sports do, especially if different circumstances.

12 weeks isn't the minimum it's the low end starting point for grabbing, twisting or squeezing.

Shouldn't've mentioned one other sport alongside the six other incidents above, should I?

PV 13 March, 2020 07:53
12 weeks is the minimum

GHA 13 March, 2020 08:09
Except Marler got 10, PV

PV 13 March, 2020 08:47
Fair point, dispensation is permitted by normally its 2 weeks. If you look at those cases where the verdict is a players breached the laws but there is mitigation to dispensate (if that makes any sense at all), itís 2 weeks

Shawshank 13 March, 2020 09:28
Clearly they have gone at him hard and made an example, as alongside eye-gouging, messing with your meat and 2 veg is at the top end of 'nastiness' in rugby.

And the guy is an idiot.

And the guy has an awful disciplinary record.

Somewhere in the world, the very smallest violin is playing for Joe...(Sm103)

HMRH 13 March, 2020 09:53
Over the top 10 weeks - sure it was stupid and he deserves a sanction but misconduct and a 5 week ban would have been sufficient IMO of course - itís all becoming too sterile

Tom1215 13 March, 2020 10:11
Fully deserved the ban. First of all why are you going around touching someoneís nuts? Itís weird... whether itís on the pitch or not itís a strange thing to do.
Secondly alun wyn Jones clearly felt uncomfortable which is fully understandable and I suspect played a huge part in this ban.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 10:11 by Tom1215.

LI Bohemian 13 March, 2020 10:33
The guy was representing his country, a truly great honour, that so few can experience, this act is totally unprofessional and to a certain extent selfish, as for instance, if the TMO had seen it or had been better prepared, he could have walked, England would have definitely lost. There is little doubt, that from now on, if anyone does this in a professional rugby match they will be sent off if caught.
By saying that this is Joe the Joker having a laugh is not treating it in the context of where this incident occurred and by saying that this has happened before so it is acceptable is saying that two or five wrongs make a right.
This type of thing was common in the amateur days of rugby like racism, sexism and cowardly punching unsuspecting victims, that was then and this is today.
It is common knowledge that Joe Marler himself has suffered from mental health issues, this kind of thing is massive step backwards for himself and could be damaging in his future recovery.
If it stamps it out then then weeks was right, if it doesn't then it's not enough.

orsoncart 13 March, 2020 10:36
Look he was and is a prat. He shouldnít have done it and should be punished.

But truly, his ban vs the French propís ban for a punch that could have caused real damage, is disproportionate. I really don't think that minimum term is the issue here. Itís the offence and the damage that could have been caused which are the criteria for me.

Three times the ban......... not justifiable really

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2020 12:41 by orsoncart.

Ajax Treesdown 13 March, 2020 12:38
The world has gone mad.

Stop trying to get offended over nothing.

(Sm132)

GHA 13 March, 2020 12:51
It's only this week I heard about Exeter Chiefs' joint try celebration... anyone else heard of it?

Someone else suggest if Marler's ban was 2 weeks for the offence and 8 for stupidity it would be more reasonable!

Tom1215 13 March, 2020 12:56
Nobody is getting offended by it. Itís just a weird thing to do as Ďbanterí

LI Bohemian 13 March, 2020 13:04
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
The world has gone mad.
Stop trying to get offended over nothing.

(Sm132)

Not offended, not belligerent about it either.

GHA 13 March, 2020 13:12
Quote:
Tom1215

Tompkins did it to Itoje straight after the very same game

shimmieandshake 13 March, 2020 14:17
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Tom1215

I think 'banter' between teammates after the game and an effort to wind someone up in a game situation are very different things. Marler's trying to incite a reaction. Hoping to get hit, instigate a red card, win the test match. It's the ultimate coward's move, really.

It's also worth pointing out AWJ is far from a saint. His efforts to wind up Sinckler last year were probably worse. Extended, persistent effort, including a high knee and shoulder to head/neck in the rucks where Sinckler was exposed.

Decent article on it here:

[www.rugbypass.com]

I'm not really sure where the line is - I'm thinking back to Itoje's scrap with Stander/Ryan where he's refusing to let go after pulling shirts over heads, or Farrell refusing to let go of Stander's leg, for example - and I guess the difference is the sensitive area?

On one note, it's a seriously niggly England side at the moment. On another, I don't see how Tomos Williams is allowed to do the bum-grabbing on Murray? Deserved a whack as well.

I think instigators should be more keenly punished. For instance, the Scotland / France incident was ignited by Ritchie running 15 yards and shoving someone over. Still a red for the French prop, of course, but should also be a Ritchie yellow.

Tom1215 13 March, 2020 14:21
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Tom1215

Thanks... Anyone else?

GHA 13 March, 2020 14:50
I think suggestions Marler did it to wind up AWJ, and get a reaction that would get him sent off, are wide of the mark. There are much easier ways to wind someone up if that really was what Marler was thinking - but that's giving Marler a bit too much credit... Has AWJ ever been sent off in a game? Winding up Sinckler is an obvious thing to do given his temperament, a 9 interfering with another 9 is par for the course, but Marler doing what he did trying to get someone with 147 test caps sent off? Nah

Quote:
Tom1215
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Tom1215

Thanks... Anyone else?

Are you asking if anyone else has done it or if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter?! winking smiley

Florida 13 March, 2020 15:22
He's been sent off a whopping 6 times in his entire career (351 games)

GHA 13 March, 2020 15:47
Quote:
Florida

You mean binned?

Florida 13 March, 2020 15:50
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Florida

You mean binned?

I do, 6 yellow cards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net