Latest news:

London Irish player position question
Discussion started by Running Rugby , 14 March, 2020 09:02
London Irish player position question
Running Rugby 14 March, 2020 09:02
Hello, I have been watching a lot of Irish lately, and have decided on them as my second team after my local team, Newcastle Falcons.

A few questions though.....

Is Matt Williams a 12 or 13? I know he has played some games on the wing this season and is just coming back from injury but the clubs website has him down as a centre, but does not specify 12 or 13....

Also is Ben Donnell seen by the irish coaches as a flanker going forward, having played at lock in the under 20 six nations for England.

Lastly, who has been your main fullback this season?

Thanks in advance

Stay safe everyone, and look after each other!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2020 09:51 by Running Rugby.

Re: London Irish player position question
joshhbartholomew 14 March, 2020 10:00
Williams is an out an out 13, and a very good one at that.

Ben Donnell is predominantly a flanker, I think, who was played out of position for the U20s. Not sure heís big enough for lock, but developing into a brilliant 7.

Parton, 100%. Needs some more time to develop, but we havenít got any better options short-term, and long-term heís got massive potential.

SirBurger 14 March, 2020 10:05
I think Donnell will be a 6 longer-term due to his height. I think he has mainly had the 7 shirt on as it is probably a less physical position in which to introduce a youngster. I also think these days the numbers on the shirt in the backrow don't always count for much. To me, though, he looks like a potentially very good blindside.

Josh is right that Parton is probably the longer-term option at full back and has tended to play when fit. However, Jackson had a stint there when Parton was out injured and we wanted Myler's control at 10. Veitokani, the exciting Fijian, has also had a stint there but is a liability under the high-ball and in defence sadly. Stokes, signed from Coventry, had an awful debut, after being thrown in at the deep end, but has looked much more comfortable since, without setting the world on fire. The rumours are that we are in for Abendanon, who could be a very decent mentor for Parton for a season or two, allowing Jackson to focus on playing 10.

Florida 14 March, 2020 10:43
Quote:
Running Rugby
Hello, I have been watching a lot of Irish lately, and have decided on them as my second team after my local team, Newcastle Falcons.

A fine choice for a second team, welcome.

What made you decide on LI for your second team?

Running Rugby 14 March, 2020 11:33
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Running Rugby

A fine choice for a second team, welcome.

What made you decide on LI for your second team?

I have always admired the way Irish do things and the amount of players that they bring through the academy into the first team. This season they seem to be playing an exciting brand of rugby with a good mix of youth and experience. The only thing about Irish that has been a shame for a few years now, is playing their games at a mostly empty Madjeski stadium.

Hopefully the move closer to home and to Brentford next season will bring in more crowds.

Speaking of youth and experience...Ö.Who are the best academy prospects in the Irish pathway system? Any of them looking like future stars? Close to the first team?

SirBurger 14 March, 2020 13:24
Interest now getting suspicious...are you a Bath scout? (Sm100)

Running Rugby 14 March, 2020 15:05
Quote:
SirBurger
Interest now getting suspicious...are you a Bath scout? (Sm100)

Ha ha Nope, just collecting information so I can get to know the club a bit more [:wor kid:]

GHA 14 March, 2020 16:58
Why did you choose Newcastle as your first team? Who is your third team?

SixNineOne 14 March, 2020 18:13
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net