Latest news:

Darren Childs - wrong, just wrong
Discussion started by exile99 , 23 March, 2020 19:09
Darren Childs - wrong, just wrong
exile99 23 March, 2020 19:09
When will people understand the nature of the crisis? The season is over. Finished. Done.

We'll be extremely lucky if the 2020/21 season manages to get started this side of Christmas.

Darren Childs needs to listen to what the dedicated staff in the NHS are saying and have a long hard think about what he is proposing and why it is reckless, irresponsible and totally wrong.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Darren Childs - wrong, just wrong
AlecW 23 March, 2020 20:44
What planet is that complete twunt living on...?

Ruckingood 24 March, 2020 03:37
He has to justify his obscene salary and not taking a pay cut in these mad times.. plonker

Steve@nagshead 24 March, 2020 07:27
What a wand !
Coffers must take priority over Coughs.

LI Bohemian 24 March, 2020 09:28
He has got to go, you need people with a considered approach in his position, he has lost respect by all.

Florida 24 March, 2020 09:35
Desparate to be the first sport back on the TV. What an absolute moron.

AlecW 24 March, 2020 09:44
Why not make him don a haz-mat suit and spend 24 hours watching NHS / hospital workers treat covid-19 patients, taking only the breaks that they get...?

x_ile 24 March, 2020 10:15
Quote:
AlecW
Why not make him don a haz-mat suit and spend 24 hours watching NHS / hospital workers treat covid-19 patients, taking only the breaks that they get...?

Do you seriously expect really important people to put themselves at risk?????

Jonny_C 24 March, 2020 11:35
I bet he avoided the draft in the Vietnam War too!

AlecW 24 March, 2020 15:31
X_ile - important people in important positions are expected to set an example / the tone. Ergo, if Childs does not, he is not an important person in an important position and is therefore expendable.

QED

smileys with beer

SimonG19 24 March, 2020 19:13
Darren Childs may be many things but important is not one of them.

ouch!_that_hurts 26 March, 2020 14:28
Quote:
AlecW
Why not make him don a swimsuit and spend 24 hours watching NHS / hospital workers treat covid-19 patients, taking only the breaks that they get...?

Fixed that for you (Sm100)

Rupes 26 March, 2020 15:46
I know it's fashionable to knock people in authority but do the good people on here really think that Darren Childs is not having calls every day to assess the latest situation and to find a way to get Prem Rugby playing again? All, of course, within the government guidelines. That could be any number of scenarios at the moment, ranging from closed doors to full stadia to a game a day to anything. That takes work, these games don't just happen.

Cricket (see the Steve Elworthy piece in the Guardian), Rugby League (see Robert Elstone's comments yesterday about salaries), Football (Ligue Un in France), the BHA over here (possible localised race meetings if a sterile ara can be created), all sports are investigating possibilities. That's what a CEO should be doing, as opposed to nothing. If the all clear was given and Prem Rugby didn't have plans in place, that would be wrong as well.

I'm sure Darren Childs can be criticised for a lot of things, but I'm not sure looking for a way forward and scenario planning is one of them.

LI Bohemian 26 March, 2020 23:12
I can't see how you can even contemplate a game when you have to to have a 2mtre space between people who are not cohabitants, I know our defence a couple of seasons ago would make you think that this was possible, you would have to do away with scrums and shorten the line outs (no lifting)

nimblehippo 27 March, 2020 09:54
Chat going round that 2 prem club are v close to going bust, so not surprising he is looking into getting back playing ASAP. What would that do to Prem? Save sarries? 10 team league? With RFU coffers hit and lots of owners probably taking a hit too - he has to try and find ways of getting money in fast. With antibody kits, you might be able to test players before to check theyíre safe. The longer there are no games, the worse it is for professional rugby.

LI Bohemian 27 March, 2020 10:09
We are all in the same boat, until the testing kits are accessible and accurate you can't do anything, is anyone going to take a risk?
If rugby team goes down it can be rebuilt or others will jump in, if you lose someone close because the measures were not followed you can never get them back or replace them. If you you think the Donald Trump approach to the way to go then, read it and weep.

Rupes 27 March, 2020 12:31
LI Bohemian - you make my point well. I agree that re the 2m distancing it's impossible.

However, that restriction will come off at some stage (we all hope!), the Prem in whatever form it is by that stage needs to be ready to roll, hence the scenario planning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net