Latest news:

OT Construction Workers
Discussion started by millhillexile , 24 March, 2020 17:04
OT Construction Workers
millhillexile 24 March, 2020 17:04
Boris Johnson has been saying for all non essential workers to work from home where possible. However for most construction workers the nature of the job is to be onsite unless you are Project management / engineering. Now here is the quandary- firms won't shut down because they are waiting to be told they have to, so what does Michael Gove do?-he says construction is essential. That is why cannon fodder are still going in daily.
Health Workers are essential for keeping people healthy I get that. But Construction workers are a barometer of where a country is financially and that is the real reason peoples lives and the lives of family and friends are being put at risk.
I am a construction manager and not happy with mixed messages re my industry and people who criticise the guys packed in on trains, through no fault of their own, when they are told they still need to go in. Take it out of their hands, shut the sites down and pay them enough to put food on the table.
Apologies, Rant over.

Re: OT Construction Workers
x_ile 24 March, 2020 17:57
Extract from Monday's Times. Believe it or not as you see fit.

If true it's somewhere beyond alarming. Makes all these dire warnings to stay indoors to avoid thousands of deaths, business lockdowns etc, etc seem nothing more than fear mongering and inciting panic. Sorry to seem over cynical.

"On Twitter a user called Fayaz addressed Heathrow and Gatwick, saying: “Could you please tell me why you are still accepting flights from Italy Iran China when most EU airports have locked off flights? This is disturbing news the UK is still open for business.”

Poppy Wingate tweeted: “Today I arrived at Heathrow Airport after flying from Sri Lanka (lay over in Dubai). After passing through three major airports . . . I am disgusted to have walked freely out of Heathrow airport. NO CHECKS were done whatsoever today . . . passport control didn’t even ask where I had flown in from.”

A government spokesman said: “There is no evidence that interventions like closing borders or travel bans would have any effect on the spread of infection. Those who return to the UK would be advised to reduce their social contact by following the same social distancing measures as the rest of the country.”

Heathrow said Ms Wingate could log a complaint with Public Health England, which is directing checks at airports."

Re: OT Construction Workers
Alphacat 25 March, 2020 00:49
At this stage I don't know if it would make much difference as long as the returning individual immediately isolates like everybody else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net