Latest news:

World Rugby outlaws tries scored against posts!
Discussion started by Cill Dara , 13 May, 2020 12:59
World Rugby outlaws tries scored against posts!
Cill Dara 13 May, 2020 12:59
Not sure what I think about this?

Prisco stirpe Hibernico

Re: World Rugby outlaws tries scored against posts!
BaltiBoy 13 May, 2020 14:22
Personally I think it makes complete sense.

I always thought the law about grounding the ball at the base of the post resulting in a try was nonsensical. Also more and more teams are employing this tactic as its virtually impossible to defend against.

I would also go one step further and introduce an American Football type post like the one illustrated here by Ruck.

[www.ruck.co.uk]

Cheers & Beers
BB

GHA 13 May, 2020 14:26
Quote:
I would also go one step further and introduce an American Football type post like the one illustrated here by Ruck.

Down to what level of the pyramid?

BaltiBoy 13 May, 2020 15:03
Quote:
GHA
Quote:

Down to what level of the pyramid?

I think there's no reason this can't be implemented at the top level virtually immediately. As for the likes of amateur clubs and schools I would simply advise them to update their posts as and when required as its hardly a game changer.

It is the same with Rugby's TMO, some teams will benefit from it, others will have to do without.

Cheers & Beers
BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2020 15:06 by BaltiBoy.

Lazyboy346 13 May, 2020 15:21
It's always been an interesting quirk in the rules but probably best to be rid of it. Exeter have been a proponent of aiming for the pad rather than just the line as it is trickier to defend and means an attacker has less distance to travel which can be key when you are strong at a pick and go game.

You also have to look at Haskell running into the pad and basically being taken out by it as a sign of the dangers of an undefended post. If you have players aiming for the pad, then it's not going to be doing its main job of softening any collision with the posts, as this rule encourages players on a congested line to actual target it which arguably leads to more collisions with a softened postboth from attackers and defenders.

PV 13 May, 2020 23:17
Do you have to ground it to score or can you touch the pad with the ball? Dumb question, apologies.

Heaf 14 May, 2020 02:02
You have to ground it at the base of the post so it's touching both the ground and the post.

waltham 14 May, 2020 13:03
Good decision this one IMO. The post-padding is now so much larger than when the law was introduced...

The Sligo Rover 15 May, 2020 07:23
Stick a net on it as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net