Latest news:

Skivington
Discussion started by Margin_Walker , 06 June, 2020 23:08
Skivington
Margin_Walker 06 June, 2020 23:08
Not read it, but TRP front page tomorrow has a picture of Skivs, with a caption suggesting he may be Gloucester bound.

[twitter.com]

Re: Skivington
Florida 06 June, 2020 23:31
Will read when its out. Not totally surprised if Skivs moved on, always felt like we've got one coach too many. Although it's actually Dec who I've struggled to understand what his role is.

jimbo800 06 June, 2020 23:36
I doubt anyone is beating down the door for Danaher. I think kidney and kiss will be in their last year of contract next season. Skivs probably has sights on bigger responsibility.

Margin_Walker 07 June, 2020 06:52
Read it now. Fairly low on detail, just says that he's a target for Gloucester to work alongside Teague.

Also a nice long interview in the paper with Les Kiss

mackemII 07 June, 2020 09:53
I believe that a Cockerill-Howley partnership at Glaws was reported last week.

Margin_Walker 07 June, 2020 09:59
Quote:
mackemII
I believe that a Cockerill-Howley partnership at Glaws was reported last week.

Not sure Howley was ever seriously in the frame. Did see a report suggesting that there was initially interest in Cockerill but that they are likely to go for a cheaper option.

Who knows though

HMRH 07 June, 2020 10:13
It’s a good interview with Les Kiss and i hope Skivington stays as we have a good set of forwards to work with.

Shawshank 07 June, 2020 22:53
Can’t believe how relaxed the pro game seems to be about Howley coming back. The bloke actually bet on matches his teams were playing in...

Added to which his deflection defence subsequently has been pretty unedifying.

Kinalp 08 June, 2020 07:49
Interesting article in regards to Howley and his gambling in the Daily Mail - quite deep and personal and seems to be recovering.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

grumpy1960 08 June, 2020 14:35
Quote:
Kinalp
Interesting article in regards to Howley and his gambling in the Daily Mail - quite deep and personal and seems to be recovering.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

I bet he doesn’t (Sm159)

M51 10 June, 2020 11:19
Skivs is a lovely fella, and with the current crop of forwards working well, lets hope it stays a rumour.

Exile_Dave 27 June, 2020 19:33

Lazyboy346 27 June, 2020 22:12
That's annoying on one level as he was doing a great job with our forwards, but I'm really happy for him on a personal level and hope he does well.

jimbo800 27 June, 2020 22:25
Irish have released a statement that is far from complimentary to Gloucesters approach, or lack there of. I assume it’s to rev up the potential of compensation

Exile_Dave 27 June, 2020 22:42
Link to above

[www.london-irish.com]

Smudge21 27 June, 2020 22:52
It will be very interesting to see what gloucester have to say about this...

Badger 66 27 June, 2020 23:16
Gloucester Rugby have announced Skiv's appointment as head coach.

LONDON IRISH ? TO THE BACK BONE !!

Bazzo 28 June, 2020 00:02
Hope that Facer has got this right. Would look awful silly if they had a get out clause.

cjm. 28 June, 2020 00:11
First time I have seen London Irish trending on twitter.

millhillexile 28 June, 2020 00:14
Brian Facer has made it clear that he and L/Irish not happy about the lack of official approach. It is disappointing that he’s decided to leave but he is obviously ambitious and better that he is gone than hanging round when his head is not at Irish. Thanks for what he did but we move on and now Declan Danaher will Step up with Sean O Brien there too.

jimbo800 28 June, 2020 00:22
If Danaher was good enough, he’d be in the job already. I’d have to assume that he wouldn’t have a contract renewed next time around. It’s hard to determine where is ‘skills’ are utilised within the coaching team. If Irish are compensated, they have to go after a decent forwards coach. So much good work has been done, we can’t go backwards now.

cjm. 28 June, 2020 00:38
Danaher has been around too long now IMO. Needs some broader experience.

paddym 28 June, 2020 09:25
Take the compensation, get rid of Danaher and make Jon Fisher forwards coach. Simples!!

Shawshank 28 June, 2020 10:25
Assuming that BF’s statement is correct, it does not reflect well on Skivington either...

SixNineOne 28 June, 2020 12:26
Quote:
Shawshank
Assuming that BF’s statement is correct, it does not reflect well on Skivington either...
I suspect that Irish management knew full well that Skivs was talking to Gloucester and, indeed, it may have been with their tacit approval, but they have to come out playing hard ball if they are to build their case for compensation.

GMC_LI 28 June, 2020 14:02
Pick up the ‘phone and speak to Jerry Flannery 🍀🏉

M51 28 June, 2020 14:33
Just the man for the job.

mackemII 28 June, 2020 14:51
Quote:
GMC_LI
Pick up the ‘phone and speak to Jerry Flannery 🍀🏉

Then get sued by Quins Gary?

GMC_LI 28 June, 2020 15:18
Mackem II,

Didn’t know they had him on their books.

Ecksile 28 June, 2020 15:53
Quote:
cjm.

Really can't believe this 'get rid of Danaher' attitude.

Maybe you'd be happier seeing him follow Skivs down to Gloucester?

nimblehippo 28 June, 2020 16:03
Glaws did not come off well in the Van Rensburg case as they basically induced him to break his original contract (reason it didn't go further was because it would be up to SA rugby to take it up - outside of RFU jurisdiction. Would be strange for Glaws to repeat the mistake if they did induce a coach to break contract, though as not player related wouldn't be RFU jurisdiction.

mackemII 28 June, 2020 16:09
[www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk]

Emails gone into spam folder?

jimbo800 28 June, 2020 16:26
Quote:
Ecksile
Quote:
cjm.

I don’t know if there are many who actively want him gone, but there has always been question marks over what he does at Irish. He had a very unsuccessful stint as defender coach and thankfully was moved on from that. It kind of appears he now plays the role of messenger during games. I’d hope he isn’t costing much or keeping a decent coach out of the management set up.

mackemII 28 June, 2020 16:26
Quote:
GMC_LI
Mackem II,
Didn’t know they had him on their books.

Signed him as Lineout Coach Gary. Came up on my newsfeed on 9 June. Be assured I didn't trawl Quins News on their website. I have better things to do during lockdown, like brushing up my French for the holiday we're not going on!

GHA 28 June, 2020 16:41
Thinking Danaher is replaceable isn't the same as questioning how green he bleeds

GlawsyD 28 June, 2020 19:32
GLOUCESTER RUGBY HAS SEEN THE STATEMENT FROM LONDON IRISH OF 27 JUNE 2020.

In light of the comments made in that statement, Gloucester Rugby wishes to clarify the position:

1. Gloucester Rugby openly advertised its Head Coach role in the usual way. George Skivington (“GS”) was the stand out candidate following that process.

2. Gloucester Rugby understood that GS was not restricted contractually from joining the club. Gloucester Rugby, nevertheless, directly and straightforwardly sought clarification of London Irish’s position. That clarification has not been forthcoming.

3. Gloucester Rugby is therefore surprised and disappointed by both the contents of statement from London Irish, and the forum in which it was released, not least in view of the proactive efforts made by Gloucester Rugby during the course of this week.

4. Gloucester Rugby will continue to seek to engage with London Irish, through the appropriate channels. Gloucester Rugby urges London Irish to do the same.

Gloucester Rugby will make no further comment.

He sent his men all over England into every shire..William I Christmas 1085 Gloucester.

mackemII 28 June, 2020 19:44
Quote:
GlawsyD
GLOUCESTER RUGBY HAS SEEN THE STATEMENT FROM LONDON IRISH OF 27 JUNE 2020.
In light of the comments made in that statement, Gloucester Rugby wishes to clarify the position:

1. Gloucester Rugby openly advertised its Head Coach role in the usual way. George Skivington (“GS”) was the stand out candidate following that process.

2. Gloucester Rugby understood that GS was not restricted contractually from joining the club. Gloucester Rugby, nevertheless, directly and straightforwardly sought clarification of London Irish’s position. That clarification has not been forthcoming.

3. Gloucester Rugby is therefore surprised and disappointed by both the contents of statement from London Irish, and the forum in which it was released, not least in view of the proactive efforts made by Gloucester Rugby during the course of this week.

4. Gloucester Rugby will continue to seek to engage with London Irish, through the appropriate channels. Gloucester Rugby urges London Irish to do the same.

Gloucester Rugby will make no further comment.

Thanks GlawsyD, I posted that above at 16:09.

Shawshank 28 June, 2020 19:57
It’s all a load of complete and utter bollix from Glos.

Can imagine them failing to ask/check with George what contract he had and when did it expire...?

Even the hapless idiots in charge at Castle Grim wouldn’t have overlooked that teeny weeny question...

GlawsyD 28 June, 2020 19:58
Mackemll, so I noticed but the link is not working properly, hence the 'full script' above.

GHA 28 June, 2020 20:00
Quote:
Gloucester Rugby, nevertheless, directly and straightforwardly sought clarification of London Irish’s position. That clarification has not been forthcoming.

So carried on regardless?

cjm. 28 June, 2020 20:21
Quote:
Ecksile
Quote:
cjm.

It's called an opinion (ie IMO ). My point being is that he has been at the one club too long and I struggle to see his influence anywhere.

cjm. 28 June, 2020 20:24
Quote:
Shawshank
It’s all a load of complete and utter bollix from Glos.
Can imagine them failing to ask/check with George what contract he had and when did it expire...?

Even the hapless idiots in charge at Castle Grim wouldn’t have overlooked that teeny weeny question...

Sounds like they really wanted him and decided to act and seek forgiveness later, knowing that LI in all likelihood would then not want a player who did not want to be there and/or stand in the way of a big promotion.

mackemII 28 June, 2020 20:45
Quote:
GlawsyD
Mackemll, so I noticed but the link is not working properly, hence the 'full script' above.

Good spot GlawsyD, I should have previewed before posting. Sincerely hope this doesn't get messy.

M51 28 June, 2020 20:53
Well good luck to him. What little I knew of him he was always very approachable and very good at what he did. Lets hope for a quality successor soon. And that there are no underlying issues at LI that forced George out. CYI

Bazzo 28 June, 2020 21:01
Bit rich of Glaws to make comments about going through the appropriate channels...... were they not the ones who went public with broadcast that brought this all out in the public?

Think that should take their own advice

Margin_Walker 28 June, 2020 21:03
Expect the story will develop in the coming weeks.

At the end of the day it seems like Gloucester are trying to get away without paying any compensation. Not sure what the legalities of a coach on a fixed term contract and the league protocols are, but I can't imagine Skivs has a notice period of a week.

As an aside, you'd think he'd also have a copy of his contract he'd be able to show Gloucester when queried, which should confirm the situation. Perhaps a get out clause for a Head Coach role. I guess COVID and whether he's consented to any current reduction are also complications.

old hillbilly 29 June, 2020 12:22
Not sure how bad the underlying issues would need to be to move to a more senior role with more money?

waltham 02 July, 2020 16:52
I read on a rugby legal site that it's "possible" that LI negated their contract with GS by cutting his salary.

Jonny_C 05 July, 2020 15:04
I wish him good luck, as Gloucester appear to be in a pickle. mike Teague has requested all his memorabilia to be removed from Kingsholm and that Jonny May is not a welcome signing with fans as Glos already have a plethora of wings/full backs. Their new Owner and CEO are ruffling feathers, Ackerman and Humphreys have left tout suite

Jonny_C 09 August, 2020 22:53
Did London Irish issue a statement on what happened. Did Gloucester offer compensation or was it a fair approach from them?

waltham 10 August, 2020 11:36
Quote:
Jonny_C
Did London Irish issue a statement on what happened. Did Gloucester offer compensation or was it a fair approach from them?

Basically, Irish claim that Glaws breached the Premiership Code of conduct by not approaching them about GS whilst he was still mid-contract. Glaws maintain that they advertised the position through normal channels, GS applied and was considered the best candidate. Glaws claim that they believed there was no constraint on them then oferring GS the role. Irish don't agree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net