Latest news:

Ealing
Discussion started by Tom1215 , 12 June, 2020 16:07
Ealing
Tom1215 12 June, 2020 16:07
Ealing are putting together a promotion challenging championship squad.
Surely Ealing will push Sarries the whole way next season?

Re: Ealing
Margin_Walker 12 June, 2020 16:10
I really don't see it. They've signed a few Prem squad players, but I don't think that stacks up against the squad and coaching Sarries have

Tom1215 12 June, 2020 16:14
As good as sarries will be how will the deal with a pitch like pirates or ampthill?
Sarries will most probably come back up but they wonít have it all their own way.

Margin_Walker 12 June, 2020 16:17
Sure they'l have a scare here and there, but if we managed it, I'm sure they will pretty comfortably.

jimbo800 12 June, 2020 16:37
I think they would have got the better of Newcastle if they had this squad. They must feel a bit disheartened seeing sarries coming down instead of us or wuss who they may have fancied taking in their home games with a squad like this. Sarries wonít have any problems with them.

SixNineOne 12 June, 2020 16:45
I, too, think it unlikely that they will upset Sarries, but whoever goes down at the end of next season may well have a fight on their hands in 21/22 if they maintain and build their squad. Let's hope it's not us...

Florida 12 June, 2020 18:48
Which of these players do we see as promotion challenging? I'll give you Barney Madison and guy Thompson, although they lose Jordy Reid. I see Tommy Bell is also off.

trummy200 12 June, 2020 18:53
Just a thought from a supporter from the North - I have wondered are Ealing hoping that the Internationals will strip the Cheaters of their first team squad and now they have had to dramatically reduce the 'back up' squads then maybe - just maybe the Cheaters could come unstuck? If not a totally realistic outcome - still a possibility

simo112 12 June, 2020 18:54
Charlie Walker will be a decent pick too

dooj106 12 June, 2020 20:28
Dean Hammond also joining them from Worcester. I think Ealing will give it a good go, but shouldn't be a match for the likes of Daly, Vunipola, George, Farrell et al.

Having said that if Sarries have to many academy members in their squad or happen to have their internationals away when they play Ealing you never know

Lazyboy346 12 June, 2020 21:56
Ealing have assembled a decent squad and can put together most of a matchday squad with premiership experience, including a fairly canny back row and some sharp backs. I can see them winning at least 15 games and probably closer to 20.

I do expect them to pressure Saracens but much depends on scheduling the Premiership, Championship and the Heineken knockouts (setting aside possible overlap). Sarries will probably be without internationals for 9 to 12 weeks, even if mostly for cup games. A side stripped of many seniors could go down to half the championship sides on their day. A hard start and a few early losses could mean backs to the wall with every game being the opponent's cup final.

Florida 12 June, 2020 22:18
Saracens were stripped of their seniors for a large part of this season, they've lost 4 games. Sure they've loaned out a few players for a season, but they're not going to struggle in the championship.

HMRH 13 June, 2020 07:09
Ealing second placed at best and not even close to Sarries

Shawshank 13 June, 2020 09:05
Ealing's best player, Jordy Reid (who was super-human in their Cup Final win against us) has signed for Glos.

I suspect that it will be a bit closer than the season just gone, but Sarries should have it wrapped up by about Round 19.

Steelman 13 June, 2020 11:11
More importantly for Ealing ,Codling is back as head coach after his half a season at Quins ,so expect them to go well..

SimonG19 13 June, 2020 13:25
Quote:
Steelman
More importantly for Ealing ,Codling is back as head coach after his half a season at Quins ,so expect them to go well..

Until he leaves again as he has a regular tendency to do.

Exilepaul 13 June, 2020 14:13
Weird that they would make all these signings and push it when Saracens are in the championship not when Newcastle were in it pretty baffling

jimbo800 13 June, 2020 14:47
None of these guys would have been available last year.

HMRH 13 June, 2020 15:11
We were the poorest team in the Prem by a way when relegated yet Ealing never came close to us with arguable a better squad at their disposal.

I donít get the clarion calls for Ealing and promotion/relegation- the gulf is simply too large and given where rugby is right now ring fencing makes even more sense. Ealing, Pirates and Jersey are wonderful clubs with some great players and people involved but theyíre no where near Premiership quality.

Ring fence for a period and work out the structure before expanding and reintroducing promotion and relegation

jimbo800 13 June, 2020 15:21
I think the bigger problem is that Ealing are head and shoulders above 95% of the teams they play against in their league. Itís a better argument for them closing the gap on the prem than the other champ teams closing the gap on Ealing. Ealing are stuck in no mans land

dooj106 13 June, 2020 16:47
Quote:
jimbo800
I think the bigger problem is that Ealing are head and shoulders above 95% of the teams they play against in their league. Itís a better argument for them closing the gap on the prem than the other champ teams closing the gap on Ealing. Ealing are stuck in no mans land

I agree that We Ealing appear to be in no man's land so if there is going to be ring fencing (I am against it personally) then I would like to see the prem increased to 14 teams and have Ealing as 14th team.

HMRH 13 June, 2020 17:37
Quote:
jimbo800

Fair point

Bazzo 13 June, 2020 19:44
Ealing will be closer to the third placed team than they will be to Sarries. Still a huge gap

SixNineOne 14 June, 2020 14:59
This looks like a long term bet by Ealing. The odds of them toppling Sarries next season must be fairly low, but with a chance to bed the squad down next year they should be competitive over the next couple of years and mount a serious challenge to whichever teams gets relegated at the end of next two seasons. From their perspective, I think the prospect of a couple of seasons in no-mans land would be worth the potential prize.
I just hope they do something about their ground If they do manage to get promoted. IĎd far rather watch games from a decent covered stand along the side of the pitch rather than languishing in temporary stands at either end...

bigbitty 15 June, 2020 11:23
This must be worrying for Ealing - Chris Booy, the chair of the Professional Game Board (the chief decision making body within English rugby) says there is a lot of momentum for a ring fenced 13 team premiership from 2021/22, assuming Saracens bounce straight back up.

The main reason being cited is the £5m hit taken by a demoted team, and how that may be irrecoverable in the current climate - in other words demotion also means disbandment.

This is being reported in the Telegraph.

Alphacat 15 June, 2020 11:39
I would support an extended premiership of 14 teams because I feel there are 13-14 good teams right now deserving of looking at the premiership (also interested to see how Cornish Pirates develop). Can scrap the prem cup to accommodate these four extra games.

Really don't want ringfencing but in the current climate it may be a necessity - but I would personally only support it as a stopgap for a couple of years to revitalise the sport before re-opening promotion again.

Florida 15 June, 2020 11:54
Until you have a competitive second tier and all clubs are financially sound, I really don't see how you can have relegation.

I would welcome ring fencing with everyone given an opportunity to get their house in order, stop with the ludicrous salaries, invest in youth and start to break even. Clubs need to stop relying on a wealthy investor to keep them competitive / afloat, this goes for the prem and also the Championship.

Ruckingood 15 June, 2020 15:36
Agreed.. right now ring fencing makes sense for a few years.. have a playoff at the end of next season between the Champ 2nd and 3rd place teams, Ealing and Pirates I assume, for the 14th spot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net