Latest news:

Leicester Leavers
Discussion started by tatthecraic2 , 02 July, 2020 08:42
Leicester Leavers
tatthecraic2 02 July, 2020 08:42
Tuilagi, Veanu, Bateman, Eastmond and Reid have all been "let go" from Leicester

Where as I wouldn't want Tuilagi due to his cost, injury record and absence during internationals

Noel Reed would fit the bill as a good centre / Fly Half and Veanu would be an awesome addition as fullback...

Wonder if we're gunning for any of them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 08:43 by tatthecraic2.

Re: Leicester Leavers
Florida 02 July, 2020 09:08
Cost might not be a problem, the players are entitled to claim any deficit from their previous club (according to the Daily Mail)

GHA 02 July, 2020 09:34
Quote:
Florida
Cost might not be a problem, the players are entitled to claim any deficit from their previous club (according to the Daily Mail)

Then we should sign all of them on a tenner a week each

tatthecraic2 02 July, 2020 09:43
Well if we can sign them for a reasonable amount for 3 seasons and Leicester will cover the short fall... then yes... but it will be whether if they want to stay longer and we then start picking up the full tab... just has to be sustainable

HMRH 02 July, 2020 09:52
Donít think it works that way? They have a possible claim against Tigers but if they get a new contract that could potentially be offset against any losses they claim. Tigers wonít contribute towards any cost as theyíre no longer contracted to Leicester.

Florida 02 July, 2020 10:15
Quote:
HMRH
Donít think it works that way? They have a possible claim against Tigers but if they get a new contract that could potentially be offset against any losses they claim. Tigers wonít contribute towards any cost as theyíre no longer contracted to Leicester.

According to [www.dailymail.co.uk] the previous club would be responsible for the deficit. Furthermore all clubs were apparently aware of this, but had "agreed" not to go down that route. However, as they've shown us previously, they can be trusted about as far as one can throw them. Obviously with Tuilagi it wouldn't make sense as it would only be for the first season.

HMRH 02 July, 2020 10:22
What a mess / I fear for our situation

SirBurger 02 July, 2020 10:27
Given the rumours on the other thread, it seems highly unlikely we will be in for Tuilagi or any other of Leicesters' high profile departures.

dooj106 02 July, 2020 10:37
Quote:
HMRH
What a mess / I fear for our situation

I agree, but don't think it is limited to just us. All the English clubs have the same problem. On the face of it Northampton appear to have gone some way with dealing with it by getting their players to take a 12 month reduction.

The bigger issue in my view is that while this move might help to get clubs on an even keel in the long term, with inflated wages likely to continue in places like France and Japan, we (premiership) will lose a lot of quality as a whole and I think clubs will struggle in Europe and then while the prem will still be competitive, two of the big draw cards for foreign players (money and potential European success) has been negated. You then run the risk of getting into a bit of a downward spiral

Margin_Walker 02 July, 2020 10:41
It seems pretty likely that we are worse hit than most clubs.

Yea a cut was agreed at Saints, but that was a c.10% cut with presumably good communication. A much easier pill to swallow than 25%.

shimmieandshake 02 July, 2020 11:15
[www.rugbypass.com]

It's worth remembering these words from Mick at the start of April, basically saying things were already unsustainable pre-Corona.

HMRH 02 July, 2020 14:31
Tuilagi wants to stay in England apparently and on basis he sues and recoups any lost earnings for Tigers available are whatever we were paying Botha!

Stopsy 03 July, 2020 11:51
Presumably the full income, new contract plus deficit make up, would count against the signing club's cap.

Florida 03 July, 2020 12:41
Quote:
Stopsy
Presumably the full income, new contract plus deficit make up, would count against the signing club's cap.

I wouldn't have thought the deficit make up would, but who knows in this chaotically run league.

While I'd love Manu (who wouldn't) I'd hate to think it would come at Tiggers expense, club's are having a tough time of it as it is without having to shell out more money.

Steelman 03 July, 2020 12:46
Strikes me that Ealing must be sitting rather comfortably at the moment,
Negligible debt,squad on affordable contracts,proven management team,and benefactor Mike Gooleys Trailfinders,selling winter holidays to Aus/Nz. They could slip into the Prem by default soon.

Stopsy 03 July, 2020 14:30
If the deficit didn't contribute, lower league clubs could buy Manu, decide they can't afford and send to prem club @£50k per year while Mr S Daddy pays the rest through junior club. Obviously no prem club would ever bend the rules to their advantage.

Shawshank 03 July, 2020 15:57
Would only be interested in the 15.

Manuí in particular has played about 5 decent games for the Tigers in the last 5 years...

jimbo800 03 July, 2020 16:23
Give it a few days and there will be a statement from tigers and manu saying that they have sorted their misunderstanding and he only ever wants to play for them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net