Latest news:

LI player revolt - TRP
Discussion started by Jonny_C , 05 July, 2020 15:00
LI player revolt - TRP
Jonny_C 05 July, 2020 15:00
According to the Rugby Paper today, the players are revolting, especially the high profile signings over a 25% pay cut. Comparing LI to Leicesterís approach where Tigers might regain the 25% next season if finances allow.

I wonder if the season restarts in August: where will LI play and which player will be left to play?

Re: LI player revolt - TRP
Florida 05 July, 2020 15:21
That's not really what it said though is it? A more accurate summary would be contact negotiations are on going, there could be 10 players that get sorted and leave. We spent big on some star players last season. It also states this regaining of salaries may not be possible as it would count towards the salary cap

jimbo800 05 July, 2020 15:28
When they talk about 10 players, do we know if they are referring to ten guys just hanging on to the end of the season or is ten who are trying to negotiate beyond that?

Florida 05 July, 2020 16:04
Quote:
jimbo800
When they talk about 10 players, do we know if they are referring to ten guys just hanging on to the end of the season or is ten who are trying to negotiate beyond that?

No idea. It doesn't state if they are contracted players they are trying to negotiate with, those at the end of their contract they are trying to extend for a couple of seasons or those they are trying to extend until the end of this season.

HMRH 05 July, 2020 16:34
Letís be honest itís 10 players we want to keep and need to do so - not at any cost but this could set us back several years

Blarney 05 July, 2020 17:42
Quote:
Florida
That's not really what it said though is it? A more accurate summary would be contact negotiations are on going, there could be 10 players that get sorted and leave. We spent big on some star players last season. It also states this regaining of salaries may not be possible as it would count towards the salary cap

I have wondered about the feasibility of this "making the money back later" thing some clubs are doing. Is it just that we've been honest with our players and said it's unlikely to happen rather than stringing them along with potentially false promises?

Florida 05 July, 2020 18:37
Quote:
Blarney
I have wondered about the feasibility of this "making the money back later" thing some clubs are doing. Is it just that we've been honest with our players and said it's unlikely to happen rather than stringing them along with potentially false promises?

Players would have had to have been living under a rock to think any of the clubs make anything but a loss year on year... Surely?

Margin_Walker 05 July, 2020 18:42
I guess the problem is that teams like ourselves and Leicester are under more pressure and are setting the bar at 25%. Where as other clubs either have super rich owners and can swallow the losses easily (perhaps with slight reductions for long term deals), or can weather it better and are going with 10% cuts like Saints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 18:44 by Margin_Walker.

Tom1215 05 July, 2020 20:02
Living under a rock???
Iím sure youíd be extremely happy if you walked into work and were told you have to accept a 25% pay cut or youíre out???
Why shouldnít they allow themselves the best chance to get a better contract whether itís here or somewhere else.

Florida 05 July, 2020 20:26
Quote:
Tom1215
Living under a rock???
Iím sure youíd be extremely happy if you walked into work and were told you have to accept a 25% pay cut or youíre out???
Why shouldnít they allow themselves the best chance to get a better contract whether itís here or somewhere else.

Yes, living under a rock. Is it not exceedingly well reported that each and every club except Exeter make a loss year on year? Thus I feel any player that believes any of the clubs are suddenly going to be in the black have been living under a rock.

As to the rest of your post, no idea how it has any relevance the anything I've posted. I don't believe I've made comment on the rights and wrongs of clubs trying to negotiate a 25% drop, nor of players agreeing or holding out.

jimbo800 05 July, 2020 20:57
Can everyone stop acting like these guys are earning the same wages as your average guy on the street. Nobody wants a pay cut but none of these lads will be struggling. They get their meals sorted whilst at training, quite a few have their rent and bills sorted by the club. These are all expenses that the public face each work day. Whilst I donít wish anyone losing out on earned money, lets not get carried away. None of these guys have the right to be financially sound enough to put their feet up after theyíve left the game, and so many get looked after with easy jobs afterwards.

Tom1215 05 July, 2020 22:06
Who cares if they earn more than the average person it doesnít mean they should automatically give up their future earnings without for better terms.
Theyíve earned the right to be earning that money and the lifestyle that comes with being a professional rugby player.

jimbo800 05 July, 2020 22:25
What about the people who get let go who donít possess the skill set to be a pro athlete? Players ultimately get looked after whilst the people while the people behind the scenes donít get a pay cut, they just get cut. The game doesnít produce enough cash to be able to offer guarantees. The RFU are learning the heard way that they have been living beyond their means and didnít put anything away for emergencies. If they had the chance, theyíd reign in the player payments of 25k per game. The landscape for players coming through in 2/3 getting their first deal will be vastly different, but I would imagine a more responsible one.

Ruckingood 06 July, 2020 05:11
I think that all reports are missing some info. The Ownership of Irish presented a non negotiable 25% pay cut for the length of the players current contracts, which in some cases is another three years. No other Prem club tried to pull something as draconian as that with some taking a 25% cut for the next year with an open review at the end of that time. Yes times are tough and yes people are loosing their jobs but to treat any employee with such disregard is just poor management. The players are not revolting and have come back with a fair response based on what most other clubs are doing and it is now back in the hands of the owners. No player threatened any industrial action nor refuse to carry on with the best interests of the club at heart but to be presented with a fait accompli is just terrible management skills or just arrogance.

Yes, a few of the players, such as Botha, are trying to escape contracts based on breach to head to Japan etc but the majority are proud of the club and love being there but being treated like chattels, regardless of the situation, is not the way forward.

Tom1215 06 July, 2020 08:23
Who are the other players...????

MarkS 06 July, 2020 10:32
I am always amazed at how people can make definitive statements about players contracts with absolutely no knowledge at all - cant we all wait and see what happens or is it more important to get in a cheap shot against the club or the players.

Shawshank 06 July, 2020 12:55
Based on previous informative, posts I think R-Good is our very own Deep-Throat...(Sm100)

PV 06 July, 2020 13:21
Quote:
Shawshank
Based on previous informative, posts I think R-Good is our very own Deep-Throat...(Sm100)

Has my mantle been stolen now then since relegationgate

AlecW 06 July, 2020 14:48
Ruckingood certainly appears to know whereof he speaks and has been proved right in the past.

In some cases, I have been able independently to verify the accuracy of his / her previous posts.

Sounds like a mess.

Shawshank 06 July, 2020 18:02
PV - sorry fella, but your absolutely cast-iron prediction of no relegation has seen you slink off to the very back of the class... (Sm143)

Ruckingood 07 July, 2020 01:38
Quote:
Shawshank
OMG.. if u are comparing me to Linda Lovelace you will be sorely disappointed 😂

HMRH 07 July, 2020 18:55
Is it just me panicking?

ExiledChameleon 07 July, 2020 21:06
Quote:
HMRH
Is it just me panicking?

Not really. We're London Irish, we don't get nice things. We had half a season of fun where it looked like everything was going well. To be fair we could potentially 'only' lose Botha over what we expected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 21:31 by ExiledChameleon.

Exilepaul 08 July, 2020 02:14
Quote:
HMRH
Is it just me panicking?

Dont be so over dramatic if you look at the current squad on wikipedia theres still loads of quality with hopefully signings to come

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net