Latest news:

Fencing Developments
Discussion started by GMC_LI , 29 July, 2020 15:05
Fencing Developments
GMC_LI 29 July, 2020 15:05
Hi all,

This topic was covered by Brian Facer at last week's LI briefing to season-ticket holders via Zoom, but not so detailed as in this article. Subject to negotiation was heavily caveated in Brian's language, but I got the impression that he holds some confidence in the motion being successful.

[inews.co.uk]

Re: Fencing Developments
Margin_Walker 29 July, 2020 15:19
Would be a real shame to have to give up the academy to achieve some form of stability, but appreciate we're very much looking in from the outside in terms of the commercial realities.

Likely in the minority, but I enjoy following the progress of the U18s each year. Adds some real interest as it's one of the few areas where we've been genuinely competitive.

Sleepless in Seattle 29 July, 2020 17:01
Interesting development - having lived in the US for quite a few years now and used to the set-up here for integration between the pro teams (and their D-league teams) and the colleges for the draft system to try and maintain some sort of a level playing field on team strength, I am much more inclined to support ring-fencing.

It looks like they have adapted the US system in some ways for this proposal

tatthecraic2 29 July, 2020 17:21
Might be wrong but could still be precarious.

Does say extending to premiership ready teams so if it stays 12 teams ring fenced. Whoever replaces Saracens in the championship after next season will be gone for 5 years

norg2072 29 July, 2020 18:15
Is the 76 page proposal public yet?

The relegated side (assuming relegation next year is being proposed as the article doesn't say) would suffer massively as players on multi year contracts would leave en masse knowing promotion wasn't possible for several years and sponsors would likely leave!

I can't imagine the share holding teams agreeing to 1 going down, so the league must grow larger to either 13 or 14, otherwise the proposal won't succeed.

What if Ealing get the better of Saracens, so the assumption they come up is wrong!

If relegation exists, and Irish stay up, we would lose our academy, so would squads need to grow in size or be paired with a championship club.

SixNineOne 29 July, 2020 18:53
If one assumes that a ring fenced Premiership comprises the 13 shareholding clubs, the question is whether one further club, presumably Ealing, is also let in. Viewed dispassionately, this makes sense since it would avoid clubs having bye weekends. Viewed selfishly, I wonder whether having another Premiership club just up the road competing for fans is an ideal result for us at a time when were trying to build our fan base.
As for losing the academy, it seems likely that there will be some sort of pairing arrangement with Championship clubs, similar to Gloucester and Hatpury. This would be important in terms of developing talent and helping restrain wage inflation in the Premiership.

Alphacat 29 July, 2020 19:20
Would assume 13 team league with a bye, with the aim to expand the franchise to 14 within a short period, but just my guess.

franciscorrigan 30 July, 2020 01:30
As the RFU has massively underfunded the Championship for years, there aren't really any clubs who would realistically be able to compete in the Premiership. Ealing don't have a large fan following, with an average crowd of around 1700 and a capacity of about 4000 of which just over 2000 are seats. Without Mike Gooley's multi-millions, they'd be broke. He's put a lot of investment in trying to get into the Prem and I expect he would make legal challenges if the Prem ring fenced and the league was not expanded to include Ealing, but then again, probably so would Cornish Pirates.
It's going to be a real wrangle, whatever happens. The real worry is that a decision is made to keep the league to 12 teams, because it could easily lead to the demise of whichever team was relegated.
There are a fair number of teams arrogant enough to assume that they would never be the team to lose out in that scenario, so I hope it has to be a unanimous decision from all 13 shareholding clubs, rather than a simple majority.
It would be fantastic if Ealing pipped Sarries to the Championship title, because that would almost guarantee an expanded league, but I can't see it, even with Sarries stripped of stars. One can but hope(Sm63)

Garym 30 July, 2020 09:09
Remember that these proposals have come from the Championship and the report by Ed Griffiths

AlecW 30 July, 2020 13:29
And there was I thinking that someone was receiving / selling on stolen goods, studying the foil, epee or sabre, avoiding giving a direct answer, or putting up a barrier between two properties...!

(Sm8)

Derby Irish Fan 30 July, 2020 13:47
sponsored by cuprinol

waltham 30 July, 2020 14:25
Hmmmmm...How would the "new" academy structure work and be funded? One of the major benefits from the current structure is that Premiership Club staff (especially coaches, S&C folks etc) spend time at all levels so effectively providing "free" coaching and development to the Academies and feeder-colleges. Also this of course can lead to mixed/integrated training of young players with/into senior squads and in some cases bieng introduced to senior-pro level matchday squads much earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 12:21 by waltham.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net