Re: Thank goodness for Saracens
GHA 27 August, 2020 12:27
Quote:
SimonG19
No one should be thankful for Saracens!

Don't get me started

franciscorrigan 27 August, 2020 17:34
Saracens not the only cheats, just the most bare-faced and blatant. I notice it has gone very quiet recently after the rumour that another Prem team was under investigation. (Sm63)

GHA 27 August, 2020 17:49
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Saracens not the only cheats, just the most bare-faced and blatant. I notice it has gone very quiet recently after the rumour that another Prem team was under investigation. (Sm63)

The lack of any real and meaningful punishment is almost as bad as the cheating itself

franciscorrigan 28 August, 2020 02:31
Sticks in my throat that their overpaid stars can still be picked for England while playing in the Championship, when Big Joe was told he had to leave us if he wanted to play for England. Incidentally and I may well be incorrect, I always thought you had to be able to prove two seasons of compliance with Prem salary cap rules in order to be promoted from the Championship, so you couldn't just buy your way in. If that's correct, then, as Sarries didn't open their books for this season they can't do that and shouldn't be allowed back up, even if they win it. How many of us will be cheering on Ealing next season? That would be real justice if they won it.(Sm63)

SixNineOne 28 August, 2020 08:42
Think what youíre wishing for. If Sarries have to spend two seasons in the Championship, Ealing would likely be promoted at the end of 2020/21 and the demoted team would then be competing against Sarries for promotion at the end of the 2021/22 season. There is the outside possibility that could be us...

GHA 28 August, 2020 09:31
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Incidentally and I may well be incorrect, I always thought you had to be able to prove two seasons of compliance with Prem salary cap rules in order to be promoted from the Championship, so you couldn't just buy your way in. If that's correct, then, as Sarries didn't open their books for this season they can't do that and shouldn't be allowed back up, even if they win it.(Sm63)

I think that rule is written regarding last season for this, i.e. to cover teams in 18/19 and 19/20 - so it's vague and open to interpretation / re-writing if necessary. Which wouldn't be beyond the RFU or Premiership Rugby given how many times the goalposts were moved in the whole affair

Florida 28 August, 2020 09:59
They do not need to show compliance for two seasons, it was a misprint in the regulations (they had copied and pasted the previous year's dates)

SixNineOne 28 August, 2020 10:13
Itís heartwarming to know that the regulations governing our sport are written with such care...

Florida 28 August, 2020 10:56
Quote:
SixNineOne
Itís heartwarming to know that the regulations governing our sport are written with such care...

Mistakes happen, you'd have hoped it would have been picked up before they were picked up prior to publishing, but sometimes these things slip through the net. What I find incredulous and probably a damming indictment of how much the clubs pay attention to these regulations is that none of them spotted it / had it corrected.

SimonG19 28 August, 2020 11:52
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Sticks in my throat that their overpaid stars can still be picked for England while playing in the Championship, when Big Joe was told he had to leave us if he wanted to play for England. Incidentally and I may well be incorrect, I always thought you had to be able to prove two seasons of compliance with Prem salary cap rules in order to be promoted from the Championship, so you couldn't just buy your way in. If that's correct, then, as Sarries didn't open their books for this season they can't do that and shouldn't be allowed back up, even if they win it. How many of us will be cheering on Ealing next season? That would be real justice if they won it.(Sm63)

And there is the issue of other Premiership sides helping the Cheats by loaning their players and keeping them Premiership match-fit of course.

GHA 28 August, 2020 11:58
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
franciscorrigan

And there is the issue of other Premiership sides helping the Cheats by loaning their players and keeping them Premiership match-fit of course.

And people suggesting a year in the Championship will be good for Saracens and their players and they'll be well rested for the Lions and all this nonsense

Where's the punishment?

(Sm164)

franciscorrigan 28 August, 2020 14:44
Why would you take a presumably expensive player on loan for a year? It's a costly and pointless in terms of team building, unless the player is likely to leave Saracens after the loan and stay.(Sm63)

shimmieandshake 28 August, 2020 15:07
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Why would you take a presumably expensive player on loan for a year? It's a costly and pointless in terms of team building, unless the player is likely to leave Saracens after the loan and stay.(Sm63)

I see your point, but also, given the opportunity, I'd have taken say Isiekwe and Earl (and others) for the season. Not everything comes back to the long-term build; winning a few immediately and building a winning culture could help, even if the players were back with Sarries the season after.

Get into Europe with their help, sign players who'd like to play in Europe to replace them.

SimonG19 28 August, 2020 20:02
Quote:
franciscorrigan

Ask Bristol, Gloucester and Northampton!

franciscorrigan 28 August, 2020 21:38
Hasn't done much for Glos or Saints yet(Sm63)

SimonG19 29 August, 2020 12:19
Good!

John Tee 02 September, 2020 17:49
Im against those loans of convenience but once one club broke ranks, others did.

On a player by player basis, two that have caught the eye are Isieke and Singleton. Both seem to be getting lots of game time and enjoying their roles. Unless they go back to Saracens as first choice...and they were loaned out in deference to England starters, then they might not want to go back.

All rather idealistic but if Saracens needed to shed cap, then it is because they were forced to...clubs should have refused loans and forced a permanent deal...
Those off the books players are going to be back on the books soon, so not quite sure how that works either..??

franciscorrigan 02 September, 2020 21:40
Slightly off topic, but I have seen a couple of posts on other fora from one-eyed Sarries fans, claiming that an Exeter win of the Premiership will be "meaningless" and "Tainted", as "everyone knows who the real champions are". WTF!!! Really? Words fail me.(Sm63)

Stopsy 03 September, 2020 08:57
Ben Spencer seems to have turned Bath around. As ever with the game of Rugby, self interest trumps what is good for the game. The game's governance is equally self-interested.

Barrman 03 September, 2020 10:38
Quote:
Stopsy
Ben Spencer seems to have turned Bath around. As ever with the game of Rugby, self interest trumps what is good for the game. The game's governance is equally self-interested.

But Bath have permanently signed Spencer. Excellent bit of business from them.

SimonG19 03 September, 2020 12:00
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Slightly off topic, but I have seen a couple of posts on other fora from one-eyed Sarries fans, claiming that an Exeter win of the Premiership will be "meaningless" and "Tainted", as "everyone knows who the real champions are". WTF!!! Really? Words fail me.(Sm63)

These deluded people do serve a purpose as they highlight to those with brain cells how all of the trophies their club "won" by cheating are meaningless and tainted so long may they continue as far as I am concerned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net