Latest news:

Chris Hala置fia tackles / hits compilation
Discussion started by AlecW , 30 August, 2020 11:24
Chris Hala置fia tackles / hits compilation
AlecW 30 August, 2020 11:24
On Rugbydump here

Many of these should be X-rated. Let痴 just say that according to your point of view, he either crossed the boundaries from time to time, or was an utter thug...!

eye popping smiley

Lovely bloke to meet in person (and OFF the field, especially if wearing an oppo jersey...!!!), however.

(Sm128)

Re: Chris Hala置fia tackles / hits compilation
franciscorrigan 31 August, 2020 00:06
From memory, most of his tackles started reasonably low but rode up as the poor victim inevitably went backwards into the turf. He did love a big hit but I only remember a few nasty ones, where he mistimed it and nearly decapitated the other chap. If he was still playing now, I expect he would have quite a few reds to go with the yellows that he got. There was a game at the MadStad, against Wasps I think, where he was charging like a bull and the "fend" on the tackler was a forearm smash that laid him out. That would definitely have been a red nowadays, but only yellow back in the dark ages. Every team needs a Chris Hala'ufia. I wish we still had another like him. (Sm63)Those were the days.(Sm128)(Sm63)

SixNineOne 31 August, 2020 09:09
I seem to remember a match against London Welsh where fairly early on Chris hit their player with such force in the midriff that the guy just folded in half and flew several yards backwards. Chris was red carded and as a result we lost a match we should have won. In fact the tackle was perfectly legal, just executed with extraordinary force and the red card was subsequently overturned by the review panel.

RodB 31 August, 2020 13:51
Yes JP Doyle at the Kassam, if i recall .

franciscorrigan 31 August, 2020 17:03
That one was a terrible decision and the card was out because of reputation rather than it being a bad tackle. Even the London Welsh players were shaking their heads at the ref.(Sm63)

mackemII 31 August, 2020 19:06
Quote:
franciscorrigan
That one was a terrible decision and the card was out because of reputation rather than it being a bad tackle. Even the London Welsh players were shaking their heads at the ref.(Sm63)

And the referee's assistant on our side of the pitch wriggled out of it by saying the sun was in his eyes!

Conorbay 31 August, 2020 20:52
He was a tremendous player but often a liability and impossible to control.

Played a couple of seasons at Bracknell Rugby Club recently and hadnt changed a bit!

M51 31 August, 2020 21:32
Every match he played, we use to discuss how long he would be on the pitch for. Every tackle and or fend off was a massive hit. I guess a referees nightmare but I was always glad he was playing for Irish.
As Caimh you to say on the team introductions "Mr" Chris Hala'ufi, always followed by a great cheer.

BaltiBoy 02 September, 2020 11:32
What a player, what a ball carrier. He literally got over the gainline everytime and gave us a great platform on which to build.

My fave LI player of all time, how we could do with him right now.

Cheers & Beers
BB

SirBurger 02 September, 2020 13:33
Agreed BaltiBoy. There was another youtube video that had more of his carries in it and general all round great play, but it seems to have disappeared.

GHA 02 September, 2020 14:44
Your favourite of all time is a big claim BB!

BaltiBoy 02 September, 2020 15:20
Quote:
GHA
Your favourite of all time is a big claim BB!

Seriously he is my favourite LI player of all time. I know he played (very much) on the edge and for some that was understandably a bit too much but I loved his aggression, power and no nonsense attitude. Just a beast of a ball carrier!

Cheers & Beers
BB

GHA 02 September, 2020 15:43
It wasn't the 'on the edge' thing it was the illustrious company he kept!

millhillexile 02 September, 2020 17:33
Chris was part of that top team but Seilala Mapasua for me will always be the special one. What a player. He even made Elvis look good.

M51 02 September, 2020 21:24
Seilala for me too. His ability to carry through tackle after tackle was awesome and a wonderful fella.

franciscorrigan 02 September, 2020 21:26
Maps made everyone look good and the good ones look great.(Sm63)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net